Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by TheLastGentleman »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:39 pm It’s because you’re doing the NYT at a diner post every time. Are you right, are you wrong? I don't fucking know.

It's just exhausting to read. The point has been made. Do you want to belabor it until it has a cow?
I don’t think grid is getting tired from this. Just warming up
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Would be a lot easier to come up with a plan to make a new downtown stadium happen if you accept some of the realities that you are up against. This goes for the Royals too.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I don’t see why the Crossroads site would be suddenly dead if all the big players still want it. All they have to do is just run a proper campaign now that the Royals are winning.
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:18 pm KC Biz journal is reporting that Port KC partnering with Royals to get this done may be an option.

Finally some news.
Fuck Port KC
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

GRID wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:33 am Would be a lot easier to come up with a plan to make a new downtown stadium happen if you accept some of the realities that you are up against. This goes for the Royals too.
They could pass a stadium tax by 15 points if they just said they were going to recreate Kauffman downtown and build an airport-sized parking garage next to it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chingon wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:14 pm
GRID wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:33 am Would be a lot easier to come up with a plan to make a new downtown stadium happen if you accept some of the realities that you are up against. This goes for the Royals too.
They could pass a stadium tax by 15 points if they just said they were going to recreate Kauffman downtown and build an airport-sized parking garage next to it.
Well they do need to say that, but then just not do it. They need to say they will be building plenty of parking alongside the stadium, just don't say how many spaces. I still don't think it would pass by that much because people just don't want to park or go downtown period. People in KC have some sort of thing against urban structured parking. It's funny when friends and relatives come out here to DC and we have to park in garages at most suburban retail centers. They actually make things more dense and walkable, but they are just intimidated by the whole process. It's weird. And they really freak out if we have to pay a few bucks to park to go have dinner or something haha.

But yeah, you can't just say "downtown has 40,000 parking spaces". That is not going to work lol. Everybody already knows that downtown is full of parking lots and garages. Doesn't mean they want to deal with them. But it would help if the Royals and city did come up with something better than go find parking, there is lots. This is going to be a pretty big learning curve for KC, but I really do think that people there would figure it out over time. Just gotta get the stadium built first.

If this goes to a public vote again the Royals have to:

Convince voters why they need a new stadium. Concrete cancer? Yeah, no... I mean the real reasons. The economic reasons.

Parking has to be addressed. Hell, even say there will be surface parking spaces for tailgating next to the stadium. They only need like 200 spaces for that, built on it later when they prove nobody tailgates at MLB games in an urban environment. (barely anybody tailgates at Royals games now outside of opening day).

Pick a location and stick with it.

Listen to what people want in the new stadium. Make damn sure the renderings have lots of fountains and the crown vision scoreboard or other things that make it not just another MLB stadium.

Bring the neighborhood with you while asking for yes vote. Good god, the crossroads thing was a disaster that could have been avoided by working with the area where the stadium was going. Create friends in the process, not enemies.

The city of KCMO and county of Jackson and MoDot need to be working on other infrastructure ideas/projects at the same time. The east village could be a good location, but if the state is not going to rebuild the east loop, it would be a terrible location.

And the city and county need to start getting serious about upgrading regional transit. KC has to have better transit than just the streetcar line if it truly wants a vibrant downtown and if it wants a downtown stadium to actually work like it should. I mean why is KC not even talking about LRT from downtown to Blue Springs/Lee's Summit? It would then serve both stadiums, downtown and many of KC's suburbs. Jackson County desperately needs infrastructure investment. Most of the county looks like total shit. It does not feel like a major county of a thriving and growing metro outside of central KCMO. The county is rundown and deteriorating. LRT (or even "real" BRT) could turn entire corridors of the county around.

You would be surprised how many people in suburban Jackson County would like to be able to take a train to a downtown stadium (or to other events or to jobs etc) and if that were something that was in the works, it would really change how a lot of people vote. And remember, "suburban" Jackson County is literally 500,000 or more of the 720k that live in the county including a big part of KCMO.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Metro wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:34 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:18 pm KC Biz journal is reporting that Port KC partnering with Royals to get this done may be an option.

Finally some news.
Fuck Port KC
An economic development org engaging in economic development? The horror :roll:
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:16 pm

Finally some news.
Fuck Port KC
That's not what it is. Also it's so weird you live in Olathe and you're an election denier.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Metro wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:08 am

Fuck Port KC
That's not what it is. Also it's so weird you live in Olathe and you're an election denier.
Everyone I disagree with is an election denier is quite the position to take. I fail to see how this relates to anything connected to the stadium other than you pushing your insecurities on others. We know how you are about issues pertaining to KC.
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:23 am
Everyone I disagree with is an election denier is quite the position to take. I fail to see how this relates to anything connected to the stadium other than you pushing your insecurities on others. We know how you are about issues pertaining to KC.
Oh look its the bike lane grifter. We had an election it lost by a large amount accept it and move on.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

When the team inevitably leaves the K for Downtown, North KC or Downtown KCK without a public vote, I fully expect you to not show up to any game. Better yet, I expect you to leave Kansas City altogether. We don’t need people with your attitude here. Whether it’s the stadiums issue, bike lanes, or development in general, you’re very clearly a ditz.
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:24 am When the team inevitably leaves the K for Downtown, North KC or Downtown KCK without a public vote, I fully expect you to not show up to any game. Better yet, I expect you to leave Kansas City altogether. We don’t need people with your attitude here. Whether it’s the stadiums issue, bike lanes, or development in general, you’re very clearly a ditz.
Please go ride your bike down Southwest Trafficway
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Metro wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:47 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:24 am When the team inevitably leaves the K for Downtown, North KC or Downtown KCK without a public vote, I fully expect you to not show up to any game. Better yet, I expect you to leave Kansas City altogether. We don’t need people with your attitude here. Whether it’s the stadiums issue, bike lanes, or development in general, you’re very clearly a ditz.
Unfortunately for you, I’m unable to commit your requested suicide by bike because I don’t own a bike. If I’m going out, I’m being taken out by a home run ball by Bobby Witt Jr or Salvador Perez in a new downtown ballpark.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Fuck Port KC
I neither live in Olathe, nor deny election results, but go off :lol:

Not sure how either of those pertain to the discussion of a development supervision agency helping to facilitate development in the form of a stadium.
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:57 am
Metro wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:47 am
Unfortunately for you, I’m unable to commit your requested suicide by bike because I don’t own a bike. If I’m going out, I’m being taken out by a home run ball by Bobby Witt Jr or Salvador Perez in a new downtown ballpark.
I don't think Salvy will still be playing when the new park is built :cry:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Stop posting unproductive crap. Be civil or leave.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I just got a phone poll mostly about JAX CO property tax fund for elder care, but also questions about support for another county stadium vote.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

GRID wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:38 pm
chingon wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:14 pm
Well they do need to say that, but then just not do it. They need to say they will be building plenty of parking alongside the stadium, just don't say how many spaces. I still don't think it would pass by that much because people just don't want to park or go downtown period. People in KC have some sort of thing against urban structured parking. It's funny when friends and relatives come out here to DC and we have to park in garages at most suburban retail centers. They actually make things more dense and walkable, but they are just intimidated by the whole process. It's weird. And they really freak out if we have to pay a few bucks to park to go have dinner or something haha.

But yeah, you can't just say "downtown has 40,000 parking spaces". That is not going to work lol. Everybody already knows that downtown is full of parking lots and garages. Doesn't mean they want to deal with them. But it would help if the Royals and city did come up with something better than go find parking, there is lots. This is going to be a pretty big learning curve for KC, but I really do think that people there would figure it out over time. Just gotta get the stadium built first.

If this goes to a public vote again the Royals have to:

Convince voters why they need a new stadium. Concrete cancer? Yeah, no... I mean the real reasons. The economic reasons.

Parking has to be addressed. Hell, even say there will be surface parking spaces for tailgating next to the stadium. They only need like 200 spaces for that, built on it later when they prove nobody tailgates at MLB games in an urban environment. (barely anybody tailgates at Royals games now outside of opening day).

Pick a location and stick with it.

Listen to what people want in the new stadium. Make damn sure the renderings have lots of fountains and the crown vision scoreboard or other things that make it not just another MLB stadium.

Bring the neighborhood with you while asking for yes vote. Good god, the crossroads thing was a disaster that could have been avoided by working with the area where the stadium was going. Create friends in the process, not enemies.

The city of KCMO and county of Jackson and MoDot need to be working on other infrastructure ideas/projects at the same time. The east village could be a good location, but if the state is not going to rebuild the east loop, it would be a terrible location.

And the city and county need to start getting serious about upgrading regional transit. KC has to have better transit than just the streetcar line if it truly wants a vibrant downtown and if it wants a downtown stadium to actually work like it should. I mean why is KC not even talking about LRT from downtown to Blue Springs/Lee's Summit? It would then serve both stadiums, downtown and many of KC's suburbs. Jackson County desperately needs infrastructure investment. Most of the county looks like total shit. It does not feel like a major county of a thriving and growing metro outside of central KCMO. The county is rundown and deteriorating. LRT (or even "real" BRT) could turn entire corridors of the county around.

You would be surprised how many people in suburban Jackson County would like to be able to take a train to a downtown stadium (or to other events or to jobs etc) and if that were something that was in the works, it would really change how a lot of people vote. And remember, "suburban" Jackson County is literally 500,000 or more of the 720k that live in the county including a big part of KCMO.
I'm not sure we're that different on opinion. It's about telling a story, and in this case they failed to tell a story that was comprehensible to the county.

You said earlier that we have to accept realities to hold another vote (paraphrasing), and I agree with you. I think a lot of us said before this last vote that it was destined to fail.

Some introspection on all parties is due here. There's a natural conflict between wanting to do things in the proverbial smoke filled room and providing a form for direct voter input.

Here they got that very wrong. I hope we give them a chance to try again, and they do better with it.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:47 pm Stop posting unproductive crap. Be civil or leave.
Not going to respond to the bullshit attacks on Anthony and Chris but to say they're two of the best young leaders in Kansas City development right now.

Had the opportunity to meet both of them a few times, and always came away smarter. Need more like them here and in the city.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:12 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:47 pm Stop posting unproductive crap. Be civil or leave.
Not going to respond to the bullshit attacks on Anthony and Chris but to say they're two of the best young leaders in Kansas City development right now.

Had the opportunity to meet both of them a few times, and always came away smarter. Need more like them here and in the city.
Agree a million percent. Those are two of the KC's biggest supporters. Treat them well.