Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by msmith011 »

Purely rumor, but heard Louis Vuitton wanted Apple’s space at one point as they wanted a corner and to be next to Tiffany. I think it’s why Tiffany “reopened” a couple years ago. Buying time while LV figured out a plan. Rare you see a Tiffany without an LV next door or nearby at malls that have them.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Very perceptive, I think
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

langosta wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:20 am
GRID wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:21 pm Saw this rendering of apple store on Youtube. I don't know much about this project so maybe this is already known, but thought I would share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqbTU0y2R-Q
Foster+ Partners designs most Apple Stores nowadays. The firm that posted that video is a church rendering business. A
Looking at my notes, the original Apple Store was opened in 2004 and closed 2016. Current location opened in 2016. Not unthinkable that a retail tenant would be looking to move / lease renewal 8 years later.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

IF they can get a better space that fits the design and branding they want, go for it. Hoping with the new buyers of the Plaza they will look to attract more higher end retail to make the Plaza a destination again. This along with adding to the restaurants and related entertainment would be great.

People will always come to the Plaza and if you have high retailers I think they would do alright even if the wealth has to drive in to shop. A lot of the people buying high end luxury products like to be part of the "look at me" crowd so it would be fine for them to be part of the scene that is the new Plaza, or old Plaza if you can recall when it was filled with Higher end retail mainly.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

langosta wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:37 pm Looking at my notes, the original Apple Store was opened in 2004 and closed 2016. Current location opened in 2016. Not unthinkable that a retail tenant would be looking to move / lease renewal 8 years later.
Agree, especially if Apple signed a 10-year lease and needs a couple years to plan and build.

I would like to think it makes the most sense for Apple to stay within the Plaza, but with current ownership issues and potential lack of available space that fits their requirements (ceiling height, square footage, etc.) I could see them moving off-property.

Regardless, if I owned the Plaza and needed Apple's space for a new tenant, I would finance their relocation to to keep them on property. They are too big of a draw.
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

Video now private. Hmmm
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

If it was nothing they wouldn't feel the need to hide it, right? We'll see what happens I guess..
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

My guess is it's a proposal and nothing has been finalized yet. Interestingly, they also had 801 chophouse and 801 fish in the video. Either way I think it would be a good addition.

I guess it was worth tearing down the old church for this?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

LCDSI wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:33 am My guess is it's a proposal and nothing has been finalized yet. Interestingly, they also had 801 chophouse and 801 fish in the video. Either way I think it would be a good addition.

Would think Apple would prefer going into the Church
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Apple reuses historic buildings creatively sometimes. That would be a good option honestly
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

LCDSI wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:33 am My guess is it's a proposal and nothing has been finalized yet. Interestingly, they also had 801 chophouse and 801 fish in the video. Either way I think it would be a good addition.

I noticed in this video posted last summer they show floors 2 and 3 as "leased". Maybe 801?

https://vimeo.com/854746055
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Based off the article in the Kansas City Business Journal today it doesn't seem like they'll have retail on the main floor. So probably no Apple Store.
Drake's intent is to have a restaurant occupying each of Cocina 47's three levels. Pennington said Tuesday that he's in the "final stages" of having lease announcements for the upper two floors and is continuing to pitch its first-floor space to restaurants, though none has been secured as of this week.
Here's the link to the article but you'll need to subscribe to read the whole thing.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... rants.html
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 pm
empires228 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:54 pm
msmith011 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:30 pm I don't see BluHawk as much of a threat... it seems like basic strip mall fare with an emphasis on services/restaurants. That being said, Town Center Plaza/Crossing is a conundrum to me. On one hand they lose unique to market tenants like LL Bean and Orvis, and then manage to snag others like The North Face and Gorjana.
Before Covid, BluHawk had released a tenant list that included Lands’ End and poaching Abercrombie from Oak Park Mall. With houses by BVW and BBSW selling for $700k+, I wouldn’t spit on the demographics either. Spring Hill has even had to build a new school down by Southwest to accommodate the rapid growth. I used to work down there and parents advise their kids to not go north of 135th.
Lol, it's like the city of OP had line of demarcation thru history.

Parents probably said thru the years don't go north of
80s -75th street
90s - 95th street
2000's -119th street
2020 - 135th street
2030 -151st street
We laugh, but Blue Valley owns land for another high school and considering they just built an elementary off 182nd and Southwest High is getting a second middle school somewhere way out there 😆🥲. BV is going to have to redraw district boundaries at some point because west high was already full when I was down there, and there’s still a lot of land to infill around the building.

Anyways, I think most people would like to see a new Apple Store on the Plaza if it means Apple will commit to staying there. Still sad about Hallmark closing. The Plaza location was the second easiest for me to visit and my preferred location over the one on SMP/Quivera or Oak Park Mall.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Interesting quote from the article:

"Pennington said potential tenants have shown great interest in Cocina 47, though some have asked questions about when the Plaza's planned sale to HP Village Partners LP of Dallas is set to close..."

Seems like the pending Plaza sale may be a determining factor for some tenants. This tells me new tenants may want to enter the Plaza, but current management and/or high of rent is turning them off.

If and when the Plaza sale goes through, I think we'll see an increase in leasing activity. Retailers are tired of Macerich/Taubman's BS.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

msmith011 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:18 am Interesting quote from the article:

"Pennington said potential tenants have shown great interest in Cocina 47, though some have asked questions about when the Plaza's planned sale to HP Village Partners LP of Dallas is set to close..."

Seems like the pending Plaza sale may be a determining factor for some tenants. This tells me new tenants may want to enter the Plaza, but current management and/or high of rent is turning them off.

If and when the Plaza sale goes through, I think we'll see an increase in leasing activity. Retailers are tired of Macerich/Taubman's BS.
This tells me a prudent tenant waits for things to settle to try and get the best deal. Nothing more nothing less.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I don't think there has been much discussion of Taha, the modern Mexican spot that just opened in the old Jax space. From what I have seen on their instagram, it looks very promising (significant mole quotient which I am very in to). Anyone been or have any thoughts?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

smh wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:01 pm I don't think there has been much discussion of Taha, the modern Mexican spot that just opened in the old Jax space. From what I have seen on their instagram, it looks very promising (significant mole quotient which I am very in to). Anyone been or have any thoughts?
I'm looking forward to this place. KC is dominated by Tex Mex. Will be a nice change. Sounds kind of upscale too.

https://kansascitymag.com/a-mexican-res ... the-plaza/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

smh wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:01 pm I don't think there has been much discussion of Taha, the modern Mexican spot that just opened in the old Jax space. From what I have seen on their instagram, it looks very promising (significant mole quotient which I am very in to). Anyone been or have any thoughts?
I know someone who lives down in the Ozarks and didn't have great things to say about their original restaurant so I've been reluctant to try it but honestly didn't know it was open yet
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:31 am
I know someone who lives down in the Ozarks and didn't have great things to say about their original restaurant so I've been reluctant to try it but honestly didn't know it was open yet
I was surprised to see this is the same family as the Little Hacienda people in Branson. My parents live around Hollister and love that place, haha! It sounds like this is definitely different, hopefully good.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Ouch, there are a lot of empty storefronts on the plaza. Express is closing. I hope the Highland Park Village group can turn this around.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... l?tbref=hp