OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Post by shinatoo »

smh wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:08 am I have been thinking lately that the City/KCSA is missing the boat by not planning for bicycle storage at stations, particularly at UMKC where I think you would get some takers using the trail to bike to the streetcar, but likely only if they have a decent place to store their bike.
I'm one of those people, and yes, we are legion.

Also needed at the Westport stop.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

shinatoo wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:29 am
smh wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:08 am I have been thinking lately that the City/KCSA is missing the boat by not planning for bicycle storage at stations, particularly at UMKC where I think you would get some takers using the trail to bike to the streetcar, but likely only if they have a decent place to store their bike.

I remember saying this at an open house and being told there will be bike racks at UMKC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

langosta wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:26 pm
shinatoo wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:29 am

I remember saying this at an open house and being told there will be bike racks at UMKC
A bike rack could mean any number of things. I would think the UMKC location would be a great spot for an actual bike storage facility like they have around the DC metro system. https://www.wmata.com/service/bikes/bike-and-ride.cfm
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

I believe it was a multiple bike racks
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

But I think a few bike lids would nice. More piece of mind nobody will steal my tires

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:58 pm But I think a few bike lids would nice. More piece of mind nobody will steal my tires

I’ve seen this in Miami. Almost all of them are being used when I’m at a MetroRail station, especially the stops south of Brickell. I’d prefer this over normal bike racks.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I'd like to see these:

https://www.fietshangar.nl/

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Half of the bike storage at the train station in Kortrijk BE.

Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

langosta wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:47 pm I believe it was a multiple bike racks
Per Jason Waldron there will be 3 bike racks (unsure of size) placed at the stop. Didn’t want to over program so no fancy options yet.

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by Cratedigger »

flyingember wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:17 am Updated schedule per a City Scene article. Looks like the sewer work is going to delay the start from what has been said.
Since a lot of utility work follows the sewer work the delay after it makes sense.

Utility work begins: Sep 2020
Water/Sewer work finished: July 2022
Track construction begins: Oct 2022
Delivery of 6th newest vehicle: Feb 2024
Construction complete: Sep 2024
Testing begins: Feb 2025
Opens: late 2025

https://cityscenekc.com/breaking-feds-g ... streetcar/

In five years from today we should be riding the expanded streetcar or have a date set

Was just curious - for those more plugged in than me, how are we doing compared to this schedule? Is late 2025 still when we're anticipating the main street extension to open?
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:06 pm
flyingember wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:17 am Updated schedule per a City Scene article. Looks like the sewer work is going to delay the start from what has been said.
Since a lot of utility work follows the sewer work the delay after it makes sense.

Utility work begins: Sep 2020
Water/Sewer work finished: July 2022
Track construction begins: Oct 2022
Delivery of 6th newest vehicle: Feb 2024
Construction complete: Sep 2024
Testing begins: Feb 2025
Opens: late 2025

https://cityscenekc.com/breaking-feds-g ... streetcar/

In five years from today we should be riding the expanded streetcar or have a date set

Was just curious - for those more plugged in than me, how are we doing compared to this schedule? Is late 2025 still when we're anticipating the main street extension to open?
From what I’ve heard is *slightly* ahead of schedule, but not sure by how much. It could be a couple days/weeks from all I’ve heard, but really hard to tell
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Engineers are hesitant to add bike infrastructure next to street-running rail. Not saying it's right, just that you have a built-in bias against it in KCMO. Bike parking can be added later, and should definitely exist where there is supportive infrastructure (like UMKC and Plaza).