Brush Creek Redevelopment

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Brush Creek Redevelopment

Post by shinatoo »

KC Water has quietly worked on a redevelopment plan for Brush Creek east of Paseo to Blue River. The 4th community input meeting is on Tuesday afternoon. https://www.kcwater.us/brushcreek/

Here is a PDF of the master plan as it stands after two meetings. http://www.kcwater.us/wp-content/upload ... educed.pdf

Generally, the plan is to remove all of the dams below the stairstep damn east of Paseo and let it flow as a creek. The areas that were pools would be activated with wetland restoration, playgrounds, and more walking trails.

I bike this route regularly and it's a real shame it's not used by more people, one of the most picturesque routes in the city. This plan will take care of a couple of issues, flooding of the bike path (and the sediment that comes with that) and fish ponds that aren't part of the main channel. That should lead to a more hygienic fishing experience. Every evening I encounter people fishing from the main channel and I just hope they don't actually eat them, not to mention the homeless that bathe and drink from the channel.

Also gets rid of, at least on this part of the channel, the fear of coming on someone and getting nudged into the water.

I do like the cooling effect of the pools in the summertime, but the new plan should be far better than the current setup.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Brush Creek Redevelopment

Post by kcjak »

This is pretty exciting and looks great...as long as flood control is still a priority and all new amenities are built to withstand flooding now and then. The skate ribbon is particularly novel to the metro and part of a great list of amenities.