OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by grovester »

Does anyone think DHS will ever revert to pre-9/11 policy and allow people through security without a boarding pass?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I haven’t needed a boarding pass to get through security at old KCI recently. Is a boarding pass required at security now?
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

I noticed Google Maps still has the outline of Terminal A when you zoom in. Kind of annoying, because I'm sure the aviation department got them everything they need for a detailed model of the new terminal, but I'm sure it'll get updated eventually.

Not to drag crap from other parts of the internet into here, but someone in the Kansas City subreddit posted last night about how stressful it was to pick up their husband from the arrivals drive. Apparently, cops were being quite aggressive in making people move if the person they were picking up was not already standing at the curb. Most of the replies pointed out that's exactly how most airports work, and we have to break our old habits of waiting at the curb for 20 minutes or whatever because we had more curb space than we knew what to do with before.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:58 am I haven’t needed a boarding pass to get through security at old KCI recently. Is a boarding pass required at security now?
They are just tying your ID to your boarding pass in that new system. You still can't just go into security w/o a plane ticket.

that's never changing IMO.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sani wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:13 am I noticed Google Maps still has the outline of Terminal A when you zoom in. Kind of annoying, because I'm sure the aviation department got them everything they need for a detailed model of the new terminal, but I'm sure it'll get updated eventually.

Not to drag crap from other parts of the internet into here, but someone in the Kansas City subreddit posted last night about how stressful it was to pick up their husband from the arrivals drive. Apparently, cops were being quite aggressive in making people move if the person they were picking up was not already standing at the curb. Most of the replies pointed out that's exactly how most airports work, and we have to break our old habits of waiting at the curb for 20 minutes or whatever because we had more curb space than we knew what to do with before.
I was proud of the responses. Good on Airport PD enforcing that. Definite learning curve though for those picking up. Probably just easier to slide into the garage for those spouses stressed out about it.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Tuesday night was still a free-for-all in the arrivals area. We had a friend coming to pick us up; he did a couple laps through the arrivals area before going to the cell phone lot while he waited for us to get our bags (which wound up being nearly an hour). When he came back to pick us up, he noticed that some of the cars parked when he first came through were still there. :-x
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Some nice exterior photos of the terminal here: https://www.dezeen.com/2023/03/01/kansa ... ort-som/#/
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:58 am I haven’t needed a boarding pass to get through security at old KCI recently. Is a boarding pass required at security now?
Really? That would be great! I made the assumption as the TSA person always looked at your ID and the boarding pass and marked it. Never actually tried to go thru without one.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

grovester wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:34 pm
Really? That would be great! I made the assumption as the TSA person always looked at your ID and the boarding pass and marked it. Never actually tried to go thru without one.
You still need a boarding pass, but in some instances they are able to tie your ID to your reservation so displaying the boarding pass isn't necessary. I'm not surely exactly how it works, but I have also experienced this a time or two at KCI and elsewhere.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's just squash this now
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... technology
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:54 pm
Hahahaha, straight to the source!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Knew it was too good to be true. Feel bad for folks who missed out on the open house and don't travel often.

I also miss hanging out waiting on friends or family.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

We shouldn't worry about things like the pickups or security lines "making or breaking" the airport. People will adjust to that over time.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

grovester wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:06 pm

Knew it was too good to be true. Feel bad for folks who missed out on the open house and don't travel often.

A visitor pass system is getting rolled out this summer. Sign up ahead and roam the airport as needed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Okay from the front lines of dropping someone off.

* KCI veterans driving up will find there a lot of decisions to make (arrivals/departures/parking) inside the garage I can see why I saw some ubers in the commercial lane for buses (lane 3) when I arrived Tuesday, looked like a quick decision to make there. Nothing you haven't seen in a normal terminal just different for us.
* dropoff lane is straight and plenty of room. Much more spacious than New Orleans new drop off lane which is very curved and makes finding space to stop harder. Very pleased with the straighter approach.
* Overhang easily covers the first two lanes totally, probably most of the 3rd lane.
* walkways are well marked with lighting and hump, could maybe use a yield sign somewhere though (maybe it had it and I missed it)? I don't know I was gawking too much and didn't notice some peds but still yielded in plenty of time.Much better ped protection than the old terminals for sure.
* after dropoff decided to go back to arrivals and see the drama of not being able to pull up and stand at the curb. Right now to go back to terminal you have to exit onto Paris (where Rental facility is) left at the light then another left. Not the cleanest return to a terminal, assume a u turn will be built. There is currently one but it only takes you to terminal parking.
* after the terminal is kind of a go cart track of curves to get back to the normal exit street. I could see this cleaned up after they can tear down the old roundabouts for the old airport. Plenty of lanes just a lot curving in and out.
* Arrivals curb had every spot filled with some car waiting for an arriving passenger. No idea what that person on reddit complained about, I was embarrassed they weren't better told to shoo out of there.
* I was worried about arrivals level feeling cramped and dark. Even on a drab day like today, it wasn't at all.

From the passenger I dropped off
* Clear wasn't up and running yet (seems dealing with staffing so closed today), 4 minutes from dropoff to through security (pre-check), didn't check a bag
* Concourse A food options seemed plentiful, lots of coffee options. Food hall has mobile ordering.
* Meat Mitch and pig wich food hall definitely most busy, every food vendor had people.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

langosta wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:07 pm

A visitor pass system is getting rolled out this summer. Sign up ahead and roam the airport as needed.
oh wow, that's cool. I stand corrected in my opinion of this never happening. Had no idea this was a thing anywhere
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/airpor ... s-programs
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:25 pm Okay from the front lines of dropping someone off.

* dropoff lane is straight and plenty of room. Much more spacious than New Orleans new drop off lane which is very curved and makes finding space to stop harder. Very pleased with the straighter approach.

* Arrivals curb had every spot filled with some car waiting for an arriving passenger. No idea what that person on reddit complained about, I was embarrassed they weren't better told to shoo out of there.
* I was worried about arrivals level feeling cramped and dark. Even on a drab day like today, it wasn't at all.

I haven't been out to the airport yet but from what I can tell from the videos and pictures I've seen is that there are solid white lines on the two rightmost lanes (not sure if that's on both drop-off and arrival though). This normally means cars can stop temporarily in either of these lanes while the outermost lane is for through traffic; e.g. people who have already dropped off or picked up. That's the way it has worked at every airport I've ever been to with that particular setup. Hopefully people are not just stopping in the lane closest to the curb. Clearly, there would be a shortage of space if that is way people are treating it.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

langosta wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:07 pm

Awesome!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Sani wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:13 am I noticed Google Maps still has the outline of Terminal A when you zoom in. Kind of annoying, because I'm sure the aviation department got them everything they need for a detailed model of the new terminal, but I'm sure it'll get updated eventually.

I was proud of how the internet responded to that thread. The OP even seemed to agree that the police response was correct and that we need to adjust away from how we were spoiled by this one thing at old MCI.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Cool!