Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Post by Eon Blue »

We've had our GF for about a month now and we're still thrilled with it. I've come to realize that any time we talk about it we sound like evangelists.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Eon Blue wrote:We've had our GF for about a month now and we're still thrilled with it. I've come to realize that any time we talk about it we sound like evangelists.

I have had GF for a few months. Generally pleased. Now spoiled by immediate response to anything requested of internet service. Also have come to appreciate the android tablet.

I am not a big tv watcher and am pretty limited on movie watching at home. I have an issue though, with a continuing issue on GF television. It is the stutter in reception that occurs every few minutes. The screen freezes for a second and the sound pauses. Almost a buffering....

Is this noted by others?
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

loftguy wrote:
Eon Blue wrote: I have an issue though, with a continuing issue on GF television. It is the stutter in reception that occurs every few minutes. The screen freezes for a second and the sound pauses. Almost a buffering....

Is this noted by others?
I don't have GF in my building still (supposedly now February install date due to "issues"). But I do happen to know that many others are having the "stutter" issue you mention. I also happen to know someone involved with the TV part of GF and was told that was being addressed via firmware update coming soon.

Beyond that, how is everyone's experience with the TV stuff so far for those of you with GF already?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

loftguy wrote: I am not a big tv watcher and am pretty limited on movie watching at home. I have an issue though, with a continuing issue on GF television. It is the stutter in reception that occurs every few minutes. The screen freezes for a second and the sound pauses. Almost a buffering....

Is this noted by others?
Yes I have noticed the same. Seems to happen only on the 5s or 10s. Seems to have got worse in part month or so.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCtonic wrote:Beyond that, how is everyone's experience with the TV stuff so far for those of you with GF already?
Disclaimer: I just got GF, so issues over time are not something I can speak on.

I don't have any experience with TWC's whole house solution (pretty expensive), nor much with DirecTV's, but so far GF is at a completely different level than my previous TWC DVR. The interface is smooth. The program information is better. Recording shows is way more convenient. I started recording movies left and right when I first got it, and I have barely made a dent in the DVR. The channel order is logical by category. There are way more HD channels for HBO and other premiums than with TWC. I get Fox Soccer Plus now with the basic package, which I think is pretty cool. As I mentioned earlier, I think the ability to auto-record shows with a specific sports team is pretty amazing. TWC used to chop most of my shows off at the end unless I specified extra time. GF automatically adds 5 minutes to the beginning and end of each show to keep this from happening. It also automatically asks you if you would like to add recording time to sporting events which seems so simple, yet it is a great feature. Watching a show on one TV and then starting on another works smoothly. Just based on the features and with little background on issues over time, I am extremely pleased with the product, especially considering that they have shown a desire to continuously improve based on innovating the cable experience, rather than to update only when fearful of losing customers.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

My building is getting wired now. The association paid the $300 for every unit so everyone gets the 'free' 5Mbit whether wanting it or not. Hope to have in my unit by early Feb. TWC upgraded cabling/signal in our building to allow for 100M/5M - they want $90+ but can get a 'promo' rate of $65 but only for a year I think. Tough choice. &&

Anyone doing the Google 'free' 5m and using TWC (or someone else) for TV (beyond OTA).

BTW, I'm in LA at the moment and my sister only has <1Mbit DSL. Am accessing with my Netflix/Chromecast and it actually works pretty well. Not HD quality but not bad. A 5Mbit connection should be doable for casual users who stream. It could do 720p HD with enough room for browsing at same time, but likely not 1080p HD.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

There's tons of conduit install around the northland

Have seen stories from the area west of Zona Rosa and the NE corner near LNHS.

Betting they expect most of it to qualify and are prepping ahead. Without the poles available they need to bury
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

loftguy wrote:
Eon Blue wrote:We've had our GF for about a month now and we're still thrilled with it. I've come to realize that any time we talk about it we sound like evangelists.

I have had GF for a few months. Generally pleased. Now spoiled by immediate response to anything requested of internet service. Also have come to appreciate the android tablet.

I am not a big tv watcher and am pretty limited on movie watching at home. I have an issue though, with a continuing issue on GF television. It is the stutter in reception that occurs every few minutes. The screen freezes for a second and the sound pauses. Almost a buffering....

Is this noted by others?
I've noticed the stutter occasionally, but not enough to discern a pattern.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

My house in North Indian Mound got wires hooked up to my house last week. I haven't been notified yet on when I will be able to link up.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

I live up by Liberty on the KCMO side of I-35. This past weekend I noticed those underground utility guys marking a whole bunch of yards in our neighborhood and then Tuesday night when I got home there was a Google Fiber door knob card at my house saying they were going to be in my neighborhood laying fiber. So it looks like I might have access to GF by the end of the year. When checking the GF website it still lists my address as coming next with no way to pre-register.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

SWFan wrote:I live up by Liberty on the KCMO side of I-35. This past weekend I noticed those underground utility guys marking a whole bunch of yards in our neighborhood and then Tuesday night when I got home there was a Google Fiber door knob card at my house saying they were going to be in my neighborhood laying fiber. So it looks like I might have access to GF by the end of the year. When checking the GF website it still lists my address as coming next with no way to pre-register.
I wouldn't be shocked if a number of the more suburban neighborhoods skip the pre-registration process and go right to signups. If anecdotal observations within my neighborhood are any indication, the conversion rate has to be absolutely slaying TWC and others. Google already has a lot of statistical data on income/demographics/etc. that they can use to predict whether or not it is economical to automatically turn a larger area green. My guess would be that, mid-year or earlier, Google will release some conversion numbers that will make a big splash nationally. Even if they are converting 30%, it will be a conversion rate that will turn heads.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

AOL Travel has a little blurb on a Google Fiber Tour and about booking an airbnb room that has GFiber...

http://news.travel.aol.com/2014/01/24/- ... kansas-ci/
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

bobbyhawks wrote:I wouldn't be shocked if a number of the more suburban neighborhoods skip the pre-registration process and go right to signups.
they'll have it not for proof of where should get it but to get the install order.

it's the way google gets out of making it look like they're playing favorites with certain parts of town.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

earthling wrote:AOL Travel has a little blurb on a Google Fiber Tour and about booking an airbnb room that has GFiber...

http://news.travel.aol.com/2014/01/24/- ... kansas-ci/
Cool little article.
Glad the Fiber service has been a boon to Mudpie, according to the management. Cool cafe, great pastries, friendly staff.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Holy cow! Every time I think I've got a bearing on how foolish the KS Leg is, I am surprised again

http://consumerist.com/2014/01/30/kansa ... gle-fiber/
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Futureproofing doesn't mean that you guard against the future, Kansas.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

heatherkay wrote:Holy cow! Every time I think I've got a bearing on how foolish the KS Leg is, I am surprised again

What's the motivation behind this? I didn't think it was clear from the Consumerist.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

smh wrote:
heatherkay wrote:Holy cow! Every time I think I've got a bearing on how foolish the KS Leg is, I am surprised again

What's the motivation behind this? I didn't think it was clear from the Consumerist.
Danny Boi on the Buzz this morning said it was the telecomms that were pushing it anonymously. He reported AT&T as being behind most of it, lobbying for this.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

they're not blocking google fiber. this poster on reddit makes a good case for why not

http://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/comm ... as/cf2w48s
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Also, do note that in Sec. 6 it appears the State is waiving sovereign immunity and subjecting itself to anti-trust suits. Perhaps that's what the real aim is here if indeed AT&T is behind this bill?
Sec. 6. When a municipality is offering or providing a video,
telecommunications or broadband service to one or more subscribers, the
immunity from antitrust liability afforded to political subdivisions of the
state under K.S.A. 12-205, and amendments thereto, shall not apply to the
municipality with respect to the offering or provision of those services.