Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Post by bobbyhawks »

Thy aren't trying to change how businesses pay for and consume the Internet. I don't think they will be super interested in the business offerings until they have more of KC built out for future consumer services. If they want something to become mainstream, they can influence other national ISPs by getting something to catch on in KC. I'm sure the conversion numbers, once leaked, will not be insignificant.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

bahua wrote:Cabling is the responsibility of a building's owner, and is done well before any internet connection ever touches the router in the basement. Google is not in the cabling business, as business is concerned. All Google(or any internet provider) would do with an office building is just terminate one or more fiber connections to said building.
That is not really true. For residential, Google Fiber (and TWC for that matter) take care of wiring inside the home and/or inside the multi-tenant building like an apt - with approval of course). For businesses the same is true. TWC, AT&T etc etc terminate the main line outside the building yes, but they also get approval inside the building and often times run the line to the individual business to terminate the individual customers line to their space. This is how my company has done it in two different buildings now and we have lines coming in from AT&T and for TWC with termination being right inside our server closet.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

For the record, when I use my work laptop at home, I as well as some of my peers have trouble staying connected to VPN on Fiber. We pull 120-170 Mbps on WiFi and about 800 Mbps hard wired on our home computers but for some reason, we just can't stay connected to VPN - it's always trying to reconnect. I don't have this problem anywhere else or prior to getting Fiber. When we call our IT, they are useless in trouble shooting it. Like I said, there is no issue with our home computers/netflix, etc. Just VPN on work computers.

Any ideas....?
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

PumpkinStalker wrote:For the record, when I use my work laptop at home, I as well as some of my peers have trouble staying connected to VPN on Fiber. We pull 120-170 Mbps on WiFi and about 800 Mbps hard wired on our home computers but for some reason, we just can't stay connected to VPN - it's always trying to reconnect. I don't have this problem anywhere else or prior to getting Fiber. When we call our IT, they are useless in trouble shooting it. Like I said, there is no issue with our home computers/netflix, etc. Just VPN on work computers.

Any ideas....?
You might try posting that question on the Google Fiber Forums to see if you can get some assistance
https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... categories
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

KCtonic wrote:
bahua wrote:Cabling is the responsibility of a building's owner, and is done well before any internet connection ever touches the router in the basement. Google is not in the cabling business, as business is concerned. All Google(or any internet provider) would do with an office building is just terminate one or more fiber connections to said building.
That is not really true. For residential, Google Fiber (and TWC for that matter) take care of wiring inside the home and/or inside the multi-tenant building like an apt - with approval of course). For businesses the same is true. TWC, AT&T etc etc terminate the main line outside the building yes, but they also get approval inside the building and often times run the line to the individual business to terminate the individual customers line to their space. This is how my company has done it in two different buildings now and we have lines coming in from AT&T and for TWC with termination being right inside our server closet.
Yes, but they're not wiring the building. The jack on the wall in your office wasn't put there by an ISP, unless a very special deal was worked out with them.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

PumpkinStalker wrote:For the record, when I use my work laptop at home, I as well as some of my peers have trouble staying connected to VPN on Fiber. We pull 120-170 Mbps on WiFi and about 800 Mbps hard wired on our home computers but for some reason, we just can't stay connected to VPN - it's always trying to reconnect. I don't have this problem anywhere else or prior to getting Fiber. When we call our IT, they are useless in trouble shooting it. Like I said, there is no issue with our home computers/netflix, etc. Just VPN on work computers.

Any ideas....?
I wonder if it has something to do with static vs dynamic IP addresses. I know the school's, for example, were frustrated that they weren't initially going to be able to get static IPs, though it sounds like that issue has been resolved. Not really sure if what Google Fiber does for residences is any different than other providers on that count.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

bahua wrote:
KCtonic wrote:
Yes, but they're not wiring the building. The jack on the wall in your office wasn't put there by an ISP, unless a very special deal was worked out with them.
Yes it was put in there by the ISP. I was there through the very grueling process. Both TWC and AT&T did it at the same time. Can't really say whether that is abnormal or not, but I do know in this fairly new building it's been done this very same way many, many times already. Briarcliff is the location fwiw. I imagine this process varies from building-to-building and depending on customer size as well.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

AJoD wrote:

Any ideas....?
I wonder if it has something to do with static vs dynamic IP addresses. I know the school's, for example, were frustrated that they weren't initially going to be able to get static IPs, though it sounds like that issue has been resolved. Not really sure if what Google Fiber does for residences is any different than other providers on that count.
I read somewhere else that people were having problems with Google Fiber until they set a static IP.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

longviewmo wrote:
AJoD wrote:

Any ideas....?
I read somewhere else that people were having problems with Google Fiber until they set a static IP.
Good to know. I'll look into that.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

longviewmo wrote:
AJoD wrote:

Any ideas....?
Do you mean that Google set a static IP for their home, or the home set static IPs on the local network? I'm no expert, but I assume most VPN connections would drop upon a change in the IP connection (of the home not negotiated through the firewall/router). "Always trying to reconnect," though doesn't sound like something that Google would be doing ("always" reassigning IP addresses to homes). It could be an issue with Google's local network equipment. I wonder if you would have the same issue using your own wifi router out of the Google equipment (under a static IP) assigning dynamic IPs to the local network.

I have heard of a lot of problems with the wifi provided through the Google equipment. I am thinking I will use my own wireless AC router when I get the service installed anyway.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Not to turn this into a tech help blog, but I can get connected for about a minute, then it loses VPN and has to reconnect, then again, and again. It happens regardless of WiFi or plug in.

As for the network equipment, I don't have any big problems. The installer did say the box projects in an arc out in front of it. Our main living room is at the back of the house and the tv faces the backyard. He noted that it's ugly, but ideally we need to have the router/network box turned around to face the rest of the house. Otherwise we get great wireless in our backyard and crappy in the house. So sitting on the couch we have to look at all the wires and flashy lights which isn't as pretty but it's not that big of a deal. I also saw on the "known issues" on the Google page that some people report interference between the network box and the TV box. So they recommend users with issues space the two at least 8' apart. Mine are about 5' apart but I haven't noticed an issue there. The other big issue with wireless signal that many have (according to my installer) was with plaster walls in the older homes. They just do a better job of blocking your signal so it's tough to get uniform coverage. I do have problems with that in the second floor room at the front of my house. Wonder if there is a repeater gadget I can hook up to re-broadcast the signal halfway?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

PumpkinStalker wrote:Not to turn this into a tech help blog, but I can get connected for about a minute, then it loses VPN and has to reconnect, then again, and again. It happens regardless of WiFi or plug in.

As for the network equipment, I don't have any big problems. The installer did say the box projects in an arc out in front of it. Our main living room is at the back of the house and the tv faces the backyard. He noted that it's ugly, but ideally we need to have the router/network box turned around to face the rest of the house. Otherwise we get great wireless in our backyard and crappy in the house. So sitting on the couch we have to look at all the wires and flashy lights which isn't as pretty but it's not that big of a deal. I also saw on the "known issues" on the Google page that some people report interference between the network box and the TV box. So they recommend users with issues space the two at least 8' apart. Mine are about 5' apart but I haven't noticed an issue there. The other big issue with wireless signal that many have (according to my installer) was with plaster walls in the older homes. They just do a better job of blocking your signal so it's tough to get uniform coverage. I do have problems with that in the second floor room at the front of my house. Wonder if there is a repeater gadget I can hook up to re-broadcast the signal halfway?
Sounds like you have ruled out wifi being the issue as the wired connection gives the same problem. I've heard of problems with the devices being too close together for wifi connections. If each access point is assigning a new IP via wifi, or if the device is moving back and forth, then the switching between access points could cause the VPN to cut out. If a wired connection with a static IP on the laptop does not work, then the only other thing you could change on your end (that I know of) would be the firewall configuration.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

roaming with wifi requires only three things

1. the device support the same wifi amendments for roaming. these days anything in recent years should. it's quite an old tech for wifi.

2. set it up both devices with the same wireless settings exactly. same ssid, same security, etc.

3. the device to roam supports the same roaming amendment

if everything matches, it should flip between the two automatically. the question becomes how good is the signal to the device. marginal for you may be good enough to not flip between APs. hard to test without doing it real world

you really want to have a single back end handing out DHCP for this to work right. if you get a new IP everything starts over. so turn off DHCP on the second device. then it's just a wireless bridge which won't effect ethernet connectivity. just depends on if the flip over is finished within the tcp timeout period.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Momentary stall in Overland Park puts Google Fiber on long hold
The terms of the deal were highly similar to what the company negotiated across the market. It sought no direct subsidies and asked for some access to rights of way in return for free Internet service to public buildings such as schools and libraries.

Then the Overland Park City Council balked at its September meeting, concerned about whether an indemnification clause might someday leave the city with a bill to repair damage caused in the massive construction project. It put off a vote for a month.

The city’s legal staff consulted with the council on the liability issue. The council’s worries about indemnification went away. It was set to approve the Google Fiber agreement, unchanged, earlier this month.

Too late. Google was moving on.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Google Fiber hookups will start in Indian Mound neighborhoods in Old Northeast soon. Final plan signup was on Wednesday.
mailman641
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mailman641 »

utility crews are in Stayton Meadows(just south and east of Arrowhead Stadium) doing prep work for google fiber. I talked to one of the utility workers that put new anchors on the pole in my back yard to confirm this. Also a few months back while working in Marlborough, some workers there said that Blue Ridge was the next area they would be working on. There hasn't been any official word from Google on this though so I have no idea when pre-registration will begin.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mailman641 wrote:utility crews are in Stayton Meadows(just south and east of Arrowhead Stadium) doing prep work for google fiber. I talked to one of the utility workers that put new anchors on the pole in my back yard to confirm this. Also a few months back while working in Marlborough, some workers there said that Blue Ridge was the next area they would be working on. There hasn't been any official word from Google on this though so I have no idea when pre-registration will begin.
official word came a week ago

http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I've had Google Fiber for a week and a half now, and for the most part I'm happy with it. My tv that I assumed was on it's last legs now shows images so clear and unblotchy that it looks new. I'm not bothered by the half-second stutter when switching stations, and the internet speed is significantly better than through Time Warner.

I am disappointed in not having on-demand options for tv shows that I may have missed earlier in the week and didn't DVR. And with the workaround being VUDU that's tied into Google Fiber menus and that requires pay-per-episode, I'm a bit underwhelmed.

In all fairness, I don't yet have an internet browser hooked into my fiber box, so that may help pick up where Google Fiber, my Apple tv and PS3 are lacking. Otherwise, I'm happy with the switch.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Sorry, late in posting this, but we're holding another gigabit hack event this weekend, demos on Sunday (4-6 pm) are open to the public.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I signed up for Google Fiber Internet service only, and am keeping my Time Warner cable and phone for now. Quite frankly, the only reason I kept Time Warner cable service is because they offer the AMC channel, and Google TV doesn't. The other reason is the on-demand option for TV channels and shows. I use the on-demand feature regularly.

If Google TV offers AMC and the on-demand feature soon, I will probably switch from Time Warner, especially if Google undercuts them on pricing.

I'm getting tired of the Time Warner price creep every month. It's seems like they add a couple of dollars to my bill each month. In addition, I've always had a lot of problems with their equipment going bad. I'm constantly having issues with phone service and quality. It seems all I get done doing is drive to the Time Warner office to swap out bad equipment.

This has always pissed me off, since I feel that they should be the ones coming to my house to replace their faulty equipment. I see their vans parked in my neighborhood constantly, so how hard would it be to schedule a swap-out that would save me a long drive to their customer service office?