The Knights are back

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
scooterj
Ambassador

The Knights are back

Post by scooterj »

Who here remembers the Knights? You know, the basketball team that 2 years ago set the KC record for most consecutive wins with a 25-game winning streak. They're back, though they lost their season-opener 123-136 Saturday night in Juarez. Their home opener is December 2nd. Here's their web site and some pictures from last season...

http://www.knightsfans.com

Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

The Knights are back

Post by Good2Great »

I'll mark my calendar...oh crap! That's the night I had planned to lick the dirt from beneath my fungus infested toenails.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: The Knights are back

Post by StL_Dan »

scooterj wrote:Who here remembers the Knights"

I do. I got to go attend the public tryout sessions at PVJC prior to their first season.

In the picture above, front row, second from left is Dan Fleming.....MNU stand out.

He didn't make the team this year according to the roster link on the Knights website.

It looks like the Grimm Reaper is back, though.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
cdschofield
New York Life
New York Life

The Knights are back

Post by cdschofield »

I've always been skeptical of the Knights and the ABA but it looks like they're getting their act together building on the exciting legacy of the old ABA and adding 7 expansion teams next season.

Now it looks like the Kansas City headquartered ABA lucked into a PR coup.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 951674.htm

Posted on Sat, Feb. 14, 2004

Actor has ABA in plans

By DAVID BOYCE

The Kansas City Star

Movie star Corbin Bernsen sat in the front row in blue jeans and tennis shoes and paid close attention Friday as the Knights played the Las Vegas Rattlers at Hale Arena.

Other than signing a few autographs, Bernsen was like many of the 1,238 fans who watched the Knights beat the Rattlers 96-94. He munched on a hot dog and marveled at the ability of players.

?If you just looked at the basketball, you see a lot of guys who play with heart,? Bernsen said. ?There's value in that.?

There so much value in the ABA that Bernsen, of ?Major League? fame, plans to film a movie on the league in the fall and call it the ?The Action.? There's a possibility that part of the film might be shot inside Hale Arena.

The plot will center on an action-film producer who fields a team in the ABA as his next big project.

?He will get 12 of the meanest guys, and all 12 guys will be characters,? Bernsen said. ?During the course of the movie, the players will find themselves and start winning. When they start winning the attendance drops and that's when the producer says, ?I don't want a basketball team. I want to put on a show.'

?I might play the owner and be the bad guy.?

Bernsen has seen the Knights and the Long Beach Jam and finds the league is rife with material for the movie that will have a comedic feel to it. He knows about situations such as teams planning on Dennis Rodman showing up only to see him back out at the last minute.

Bernsen picked the ABA because of its quirky history, but he hopes the movie will bring more attention to the league. When filming starts in the fall, Bernsen plans to use ABA players in some scenes.

?The ABA needs a story,? Bernsen said. ?Hopefully, we can do a good film and give it an identity. People who go to the movie and see some of the players and then can go to the games because they know a guy from the film.?

Knights owner and ABA CEO Jim Clark said the league signed a contract with Bernsen three weeks ago. Bernsen found out about the ABA through his work with Rodman in the reality-TV show ?Celebrity Mole.?

?It's exciting not only because of Corbin's experience in ?Major League' and other sports movies, but also because he's developing a long-term relationship with the ABA,? Clark said. ?We have a lot of respect for Corbin. He's going to tell a wonderful, compelling story on professional basketball.?

Knights 96, Rattlers 94
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

The Knights are back

Post by KCK »

I dare Overland Park to build a 7000 seat arena, and then give it to the Knights as their official home.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCDevin

The Knights are back

Post by KCDevin »

haha, not...
oh, sorry...
theyll be coming to the new arena downtown...
and when will we get our NBA Team? :(
Was it the Knights or the Kings? I can't remember which? (I wasn't alive then however)
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

The Knights are back

Post by phxcat »

It was the Kings (now Sacramento). The Knights won't put 1200 people in an 18,000 capacity arena. Unless ABA seriuosly takes off, The one in OP may be too big as well.