Free High Speed Internet Eh?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
brett
Pad site
Pad site

Free High Speed Internet Eh?

Post by brett »

Anyone else see this ad for these lofts? Notice how it's promoting stealing wi-fi from the library across the street? Then it adds that as an amenity lol! I thought this humorous and a bit odd.

http://kc.backpage.com/rentals/classifi ... for%20rent
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: Free High Speed Internet Eh?

Post by scooterj »

When the water main break at 14th & Baltimore knocked out my company's internet access for 3 days back when we worked in the P&L Building, I was able to bring my laptop in and keep working.  From the break room I found 3 unsecured wifis from Clubhouse Lofts I could tap, and from the conference room I was able to get one from the Bartle Hall Conference Center.    :lol: 

(I was amazed the signals made it that far!)
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

That was one of the unlisted amenities of living in any of the Soho loft buildings. No one secures their wireless network, thus providing me with nearly 4 years of unpaid internet. :)
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

there was an unsecured wifi signal within range from my hostel room in Hong Kong...that's how I managed to post photos I took all over the net on the same day I took them, using my laptop.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
brett
Pad site
Pad site

Post by brett »

Why don't people secure their wi-fi?

It's easy to do.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

It's also generally pretty easy to crack.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

my "internet" portion is open....why not let people share?  I try to make my computers harder to get to.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

mean wrote: It's also generally pretty easy to crack.
Is that the case even with my 26-character encryption key?

A while back I was checking my logs and someone was repeatedly sending me "the ping of death." So I lowered the transmitter power on my router to 12.5%, and it still happens occasionally, so I figure it's one of my neighbors in my building.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
brett
Pad site
Pad site

Post by brett »

KCPowercat wrote: my "internet" portion is open....why not let people share?  I try to make my computers harder to get to.
Because I pay for it. And I don't want some schmuck uploading bittorrents, while I'm trying to browse the internet.
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

Tosspot wrote: Is that the case even with my 26-character encryption key?

A while back I was checking my logs and someone was repeatedly sending me "the ping of death." So I lowered the transmitter power on my router to 12.5%, and it still happens occasionally, so I figure it's one of my neighbors in my building.
airsniff will crack most, if not all, encrypter wifi networks.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I can't imagine depending on wireless for permanent internet access. It's a mobile solution, not a fixed one. As such, theft is easy and security is exceedingly difficult.