Marijuana

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Marijuana

Post by kard »

This thread is silly.

Koalas in Australia eat eucalyptus leaves.  A chemical in the leaves produces a mild euphoria and the Aboriginals have used it in various way for thousands of years.

Koalas eat only eucalyptus and due to the chemicals in the leaves, remain in a constant, mild euphoria.  Doesn't this guy look high to you?

And while I'm on it, another interesting thing about eucalyptus leaves is the high oil content.  This oil is very flammable.  Wild fires in eucalyptus forests can be quite intense.  I always wondered--and have never had answered--what happens to koalas in these fires?  They're doped up and can't exactly run away very fast, plus they're full of oil from the leaves they eat.  They're like little oil lamps.  I'd expect to see small explosions all along the treetops from the exploding, oil-filled koalas.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

I would argue that if the whole rivermarket started smoking eating establishments would be open all over downtown until midnight all the time.  And it isn't to say that their isn't more quirky energy in a comfortable group when they are high.  Look at the street activity and night culture in places like Istanbul Turkey, Tel Aviv Israel, or Athens Greece where they don't drink but sit around drinking coffee and smoking hookas.  Israelis don't drink very much at all, and their culture has been described as one of the most intense party cultures by international DJ's all over the world.  This is the country where trance music started and their is pedestrian activity till 2 in the morning every night.

And isn't saying something like this almost like supporting the option to ban people from walking in the back alleyways of downtown streets (despite it saving them time) because it doesn't add to the appearance of foot traffic in the front of buildings.  Conversely, one would force pedestrians to walk only on the main sidewalk in front of the buildings to increase the appearance of street traffic....with the notion that foot traffic is good for the cities appearance and thus good overall.  The same could be said with banning take out food in the rivermarket because it give residents the option to not eat the restaurant's meal actually in the restaurant, thus lessening the appearance of bustling city/restaurant activity.
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

...and how do you think it gets to your house?  Do the birds produce and carry it?  Drugs are controlled by cartels and organized crime because they are illegal.  I don't think you can really dispute that.
Yes I can. That's simply not the case with regards to marijuana. At least mine. Yes - gangs, drug cartels, etc. are involved in marijuana, but you can most certainly get it via other avenues. It's a weed - it'll grow anywhere.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

Stop it, Kard! Even the crazy guy in the cube next to me that likes to dress in green spandex and sing Elvis songs about recycling is giving me wierd looks cuz I can't stop laughing! All I can think of is exploding koalas!

*tears roll down cheeks*
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

staubio wrote: From a pure urban development perspective, a night out drinking supports a neighborhood establishment and creates vitality.  Smoking it up isn't going to help the neighborhood any.
smoking supports the neighborhood dopeman and in turn spends his money at the neighborhood establishment and creates vitality :lol:
get over youself staubio!  you sound like a judges son and like someone said, get off your high horse and quit being offended by some little plant. great minds use this shit too.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

schugg wrote: smoking supports the neighborhood dopeman and in turn spends his money at the neighborhood establishment and creates vitality :lol:
get over youself staubio!  you sound like a judges son and like someone said, get off your high horse and quit being offended by some little plant. great minds use this shit too.
Dude, are you even reading what I'm typing?  Wow, pot has made a few people here mighty defensive.  "You're a prude" isn't a refutation and it isn't true.
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

If we are going to be that legalistic and break it down to downtown development and opportunity costs....has anybody noticed how many bottles are broken all over the place in the rivermarket or westport.  Let me guess, whacked out pot heads going crazy when the glass breaks.  No their are many issues with drinking.  Their is less trash.  Watch these bars like buzzard beach fill up a whole dumpster of glass and plastic cups and then lets talk about the opportunity costs with drinking in a city.  

What I'm saying is we have to be cautious in breaking it down to nit picky aspects like that.  Good debate though
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

staubio wrote: Dude, are you even reading what I'm typing?  Wow, pot has made a few people here mighty defensive.  "You're a prude" isn't a refutation and it isn't true.
you're the one that has your panties twisted up in a bloodknot over this!  just a simple discussion turned this way cause of you.
did you read what I posted earlier? I like to smoke once in a while. maybe you should try some...it'll loosen your ass cheeks.
riebschlager
New York Life
New York Life

Post by riebschlager »

There are some strongly held opinions here, but I think we can all agree, that koala is friggin adorable.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

kc-vino wrote: And isn't saying something like this almost like supporting the option to ban people from walking in the back alleyways of downtown streets (despite it saving them time) because it doesn't add to the appearance of foot traffic in the front of buildings.  Conversely, one would force pedestrians to walk only on the main sidewalk in front of the buildings to increase the appearance of street traffic....with the notion that foot traffic is good for the cities appearance and thus good overall.  The same could be said with banning take out food in the rivermarket because it give residents the option to not eat the restaurant's meal actually in the restaurant, thus lessening the appearance of bustling city/restaurant activity.
Not at all.  These are all normal legal activities.  Again, I don't support the fact that it is illegal but I do realize that it is.  Before this gets absurd, my only point is that when choosing to partake in an event that is insular by necessity, because of its illegality, it turns us farther inward and away from our neighborhoods. 

In economics, things like broken glass are extranalities, i.e. unintended consequences with some sort of economic impact.  Opportunity costs are foregone alternatives when a choice is made.  If you choose to smoke it up at home, you choose not to be out and about.  While I'm sure it can be quite a social activity, it is always one that is turn inward.

Again, legalizing would help that.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

schugg wrote: you're the one that has your panties twisted up in a bloodknot over this!  just a simple discussion turned this way cause of you.
did you read what I posted earlier? I like to smoke once in a while. maybe you should try some...it'll loosen your ass cheeks.
I apologize if I invaded upon your "dude, I love how relaxed it makes me feel" discussion with a few thoughts of my own.  My panties are most certainly normally arranged, however, and I choose not to partake.  I should hope you could respect that as much as I respect your right to do the opposite.  If I don't have a point, you have no reason to be defensive.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

have you been to any concerts?  that's not staying home and smoking. It happens everywhere.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

riebschlager wrote: There are some strongly held opinions here, but I think we can all agree, that koala is friggin adorable.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
riebschlager
New York Life
New York Life

Post by riebschlager »

No Koala, NOOOOOOO!!!!
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

schugg wrote: have you been to any concerts?  that's not staying home and smoking. It happens everywhere.
Yes, I have.  I like jam bands, I'm around it alot.  It is still a subversive activity, though.  Besides, you are taking it out of context.  I was addressing a very specific set of alternatives.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

It's not about saying ''dude'' or how it makes me feel. I think in my case it's recreational and for a fun time in a group. not to make me feel better about myself.
Last edited by schugg on Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

riebschlager wrote: No Koala, NOOOOOOO!!!!
My sides! The pain!  :lol: I can't take this anymore! *gufaww*
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Kava Kava.... Greatest stress relief I have ever found..... But alas, The wise Government has decide that 400 times the dosage in rats causes liver damage, so Pull it from the market....

I'm sure someone like Upjohn makes a pill to replace it.

Stress Kills! People Kill.. Living kills... where does it stop?

Answer... Death
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

KCKev wrote: Kava Kava.... Greatest stress relief I have ever found..... But alas, The wise Government has decide that 400 times the dosage in rats causes liver damage, so Pull it from the market....

I'm sure someone like Upjohn makes a pill to replace it.

Stress Kills! People Kill.. Living kills... where does it stop?

Answer... Death
Please rephrase in the form of a Haiku.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

riebschlager wrote: No Koala, NOOOOOOO!!!!
So if the Koala is full of this euphoric oil . . . what happens when you inhale Koala smoke?