P&L District Timeline Question

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
JMedwick
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

P&L District Timeline Question

Post by JMedwick »

It is great to see the P&L moving forward for KC. As a person from St. Louis, with many similar district projects proposed or rummored (Bottle District, Ballpark Village, Chouteau's Landing, even rummor of a 71 story tower), I was wondering how long has it taken the P&L to move from the first discussions to now actualy seeing construction happen and how many more years will it take for the site to be fully developed? 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: P&L District Timeline Question

Post by dangerboy »

Yesterday's Star article says that planning started in fall 2003.  So a full five years from beginning to completion.  These things to do not move fast.
WorldTraveler
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WorldTraveler »

JMedwick wrote: It is great to see the P&L moving forward for KC. As a person from St. Louis, with many similar district projects proposed or rummored (Bottle District, Ballpark Village, Chouteau's Landing, even rummor of a 71 story tower), I was wondering how long has it taken the P&L to move from the first discussions to now actualy seeing construction happen and how many more years will it take for the site to be fully developed? 
I would say the site will not be fully developed until at least 2010. There are other phases dependant on the success of the initial layout that will begin construction no earlier than 2008.
JMedwick
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by JMedwick »

So, if Fall 2003 is the starting point, when did physical construction start and how much has been completed to date? The new H&R Block HQ and the arena (both of which I thought were part of the project)? Sorry if i am not up on all the specifics.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

"Start of construction" actually isn't precise.  It took a year to year and a half for the city to start clearing the site and moving dirt.  Cordish just this week took possession of the land to start construction of the buildings.  H&R Block and Sprint Center are on separate timelines from the P&L District.

I'd say you have 2-3 years before Ballpark Village or the Bottle District are open for business.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Hell, this idea has been floating around for far longer than since 2003. I remember Centertainment's proposal and plans for the area from back when I was in about middle school.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Tosspot wrote: Hell, this idea has been floating around for far longer than since 2003. I remember Centertainment's proposal and plans for the area from back when I was in about middle school.
Right.  I remember being kid in the late '90's, and hearing how the city was wanting to something like the P&L District now.
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Tosspot wrote: Hell, this idea has been floating around for far longer than since 2003. I remember Centertainment's proposal and plans for the area from back when I was in about middle school.
Yes but from current proposals I'd put it at 2003.  First businesses opening in 2007....so for the St. Louis project which isn't quite as complex, I'd put it 3 years out from now until the first businesses open....hoping for sooner though.  Cordish hasn't disappointed here as of yet...they seem first class, we are both lucky to have them.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
JMedwick
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by JMedwick »

^ Indeed. Thanks for all your help on the timeline info.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Isn't the cordish development in StL on the site of the old stadium?  That makes all the difference in the world.

Aquiring property can really slow things down.  I think the StL project is only a few months behind KC's, but I don't know all the funding issues etc.
JMedwick
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by JMedwick »

^ Yes, Cordish is the developer teamed with the Cardinals for the Ballpark Village, which will sit on the old Busch Stadium site. And for that project, St. Louis is fortunate that the land is already all owned by the Cardinals. I belive the current hang-up is the City and the Cardinals/Cordish going back and forth on how much TIF the project will get and what demands the city will put on the Cards.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Stan Durwood started buying properties (and turning them into parking lots) in the 60's for his Centertainment plan. He basically created the blight that was there so that he could save it. :evil: