KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by DaveKCMO »

The weekday midday peak has not returned, which was a big component of weekday ridership. Weekends have returned faster, but are completely dependent on weather and programming.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:55 pm
earthling wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:35 pm Would expect it to bump back up further as events return but WFH/hybrid might prevent from reaching 2019 level.
It’ll surpass 2019, but it might not be this year. Maybe 23 or 24.
I agree. Because even the WFH is going to fade out at some point as well.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

More residential units coming online will help.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

How much is a "blocking the streetcar" ticket? If you block the streetcar but move your car before its towed, do you still get a ticket?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:19 pm How much is a "blocking the streetcar" ticket? If you block the streetcar but move your car before its towed, do you still get a ticket?
I saw what I assume you’re referring to today and was wondering the same thing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No you don't. It's ridiculous
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Been perusing the transit nerds of YouTube lately, and have noticed many graphics and statements pointing to our “class” of streetcars, I.e. the systems built at or around the same time as KC’s. These include Detroit, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, and Tucson. From the metrics measuring success, KC has the dominant streetcar system from that class, as we have significantly higher ridership, more sales tax collection along the lines, more development attributed to it, and better branding. I’ve been exploring further and found a couple differences that I think set us apart.

Firstly, our route seems to be the one of the most direct of the systems, right next to Detroit. Now I understand that not all cities are the same, and some places geography and layout lend themselves better or worse, however, it seems our approach wasn’t to take people directly to sites and attractions. We had more of a “we’ll get you close enough, walk the rest of the way in”. These other systems seem to try and thread more directly to attractions and event areas, instead of allowing people to explore the city for themselves. Given their lines don’t drop you off at the front door of everything, but they don’t serve nearly as well as a spine, they look more like they’re trying to appease certain property owners or benefactors than anything.

The only one that really can directly compare to us is Detroits Q-line, but you still see not nearly as much infill along that line (given Detroit has a number of issues that can stem from.

Detroit:

Cincinnati:

Milwaukee:

Oklahoma City:

Tucson:

And of course KC’s for comparison:

It seems from the examples that there’s something to be said about simplicity. A direct route with minimal turns makes for a quick and efficient system, and I’d imagine that can help to drive ridership, vs some of the systems that meander through their cities, which mean crossing intersections, and reduce overall average speed.

Another difference seems to be the way they operate, and who the operators are.

TransDev, based in France, operates the systems for Detroit, Cincinnati, & Milwaukee.

RATP Dev, based in France, operates Tucson.

Herzog Transit, based in Saint Joseph, MO (wait what?!) operates both KC and OKC’s, however, Herzog only has a contract with the city of OKC, and there isn’t an individual authority for the streetcar that I could find.

I’m unsure why that plays such a difference, I’m thinking it has to do with micro vs macro operation styles, as I’d imagine having a large transit operator in control of a system, without direct local oversight could lead to issues that are difficult to address. Whereas KC has a local non-profit corporation, with no authority to answer to outside of the city.

Having an individual authority to deal with operations, and serve as an entity to bridge the gap between infrastructure and the public is important. None of these other systems have very user friendly websites, nor is it as easy to access things like ridership number totals, graphics, or FAQs like it is with KC, and that’s the kind of thing that people subconsciously notice.

It’s honestly a little weird to have KC considered the top dog in something, and it’s awesome to see others around the country recognize the amazing achievements that a grassroots movement from a number of people through the years can lead to. Big shout out to Dave and the others connected to this project for this as well, as I don’t think enough acknowledgement has been given to just how much of a success the KC Streetcar is!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

And if you think that’s a lot just wait till we get the Main St extension finished. Then we’ll blow the top off.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:34 pm And if you think that’s a lot just wait till we get the Main St extension finished. Then we’ll blow the top off.
Oh I’m well aware. It’ll be one of the best streetcar lines in the country at that point.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I’m wondering how they will get a streetcar down 39th with all the parking though and single lanes
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:49 pm I’m wondering how they will get a streetcar down 39th with all the parking though and single lanes
I’m still not convinced that route will come to fruition.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Good question. The street gets backed up during rush hours alot and for dinner rushes as well. Things will definitely change significantly for W 39th which I imagine will remove either street parking or driving lanes for a potential car free zone. Either way car loving Kansas City will really test the waters for replacing its driving lanes for other options with this project.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

daGOAT wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:10 pm Good question. The street gets backed up during rush hours alot and for dinner rushes as well. Things will definitely change significantly for W 39th which I imagine will remove either street parking or driving lanes for a potential car free zone. Either way car loving Kansas City will really test the waters for replacing its driving lanes for other options with this project.
If I win the lottery, I will fund a tunnel
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:24 pm
daGOAT wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:10 pm Good question. The street gets backed up during rush hours alot and for dinner rushes as well. Things will definitely change significantly for W 39th which I imagine will remove either street parking or driving lanes for a potential car free zone. Either way car loving Kansas City will really test the waters for replacing its driving lanes for other options with this project.
For cars or the streetcar? :lol:
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:31 pm
normalthings wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:24 pm
For cars or the streetcar? :lol:
train ofc
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

The KC Underground Sreetcar has a ring to it lol
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

The issue here is that we really do need to get to KU Med.

They’ve got to figure it out somehow. I’d say get rid of street parking and build a garage. Or anything, really. I don’t really care what to do, they just need to find a way.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

A wider street to go west on is Wesport Rd. Then a jog north to KU Med.
CorneliusFB
Pad site
Pad site

Post by CorneliusFB »

Truman, Children’s and St Luke’s are all within a stone’s throw of the Main Street line. You don’t need to run a fixed line to KU. Improve 39th for better bus route, bikeability and sidewalks.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

CorneliusFB wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:40 pm Truman, Children’s and St Luke’s are all within a stone’s throw of the Main Street line. You don’t need to run a fixed line to KU. Improve 39th for better bus route, bikeability and sidewalks.
I think you have to. KU med is too big of a deal within KC to leave unconnected to the system.