W hotel

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

W hotel

Post by KansasCityCraka »

I can not find the page that has the W Hotel stuff on it can anyone help me?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: W hotel

Post by tat2kc »

don't think, at this time, it was anything other than hopeful speculation.  didn't even rise to  the rumor level.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

There was a blurb in the Star a while back that the residential tower at the Jones Store spot may be a mixed used hotel/residential building.  Cordish said that W would be a possibility. 

There is a Cordish STL project that is also considering a W Hotel, so it is a real possibility for KC too.
Last edited by ignatius on Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Well I know in one of these topics there was talk about the W hotel and a rendering of what it might look like. I just can't find the page it was on in this monstrous forum.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

The rendering from from a different W hotel project, that was both a condo and a hotel tower. I thought it was somewhere in florida, maybe not.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

KansasCityCraka wrote: I can not find the page that has the W Hotel stuff on it can anyone help me?
tat2kc wrote: The rendering from from a different W hotel project, that was both a condo and a hotel tower. I thought it was somewhere in florida, maybe not.
It was Victory, the project in Dallas around the American Airlines Center.

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/h ... 38#p156238

KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Thanks!
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

I guess the W brand is trying to keep its imaging together with all hotels looking the same.  The W being built in downtown Atlanta will look the same at Allen Plaza.  W is on a big expansion apparently and I wouldn't put it past them to build a KC and StL hotel. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

I think it would be awesome to see that hotel downtown, although my only concern would be whether it would take away a significant amount of business from the Hyatt. I know most celebrities and stars stay at the Hyatt when they're in KC, so I would assume that the W would probably lure many of them away. I would just want to make sure that KC could absorb the hotel without causing too much damage to any other hotels.
leaf
Pad site
Pad site

Post by leaf »

who cares if it takes some business away from the Hyatt?  that's competition.  if a W opens in KC (unlikely) and it siphons business away from the Hyatt, then the Hyatt will just have to step up and offer a better product.

even if 100% of stars and celebrities that visit KC switched from the Hyatt to W, that wouldn't mean all that much.  :lol:  we're talking a couple dozen a year maybe? 
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

How many travelers to KC are also willing to pay $600 and up for a hotel room?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

The Dallas W Hotel goes for $250/night, no different than Ritz/Fairmont/Intercontinental or whatever it is on the Plaza now.  The hotel would also get an extra source of income by providing concierge services to the condo residents.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Here are the hotel services condo owners get at the W Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale...
http://www.condohotelcenter.com/condo-h ... ences.html

Plus you'll get all of the 24/7 hotel services like:

* Concierge
    * Security
    * Room service
    * Maintenance
    * In-residence dining
    * Grocery shopping and delivery
    * Private in home catering
    * Personal chef service
    * You don't even need to worry about care for your children, pets or even your plants. All this can be taken care of for you!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

This discussion shows why it makes so much sense to combine the condo and hotel projects on the Jones Store block.  Both can synergistically move downtown living and lodging to a new level that will make the Plaza feel like the suburban development it really is.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

^Well the Plaza could easily pull of a hotel/residence building as well. 

But it also gives an opportunity to do a 'new tallest' building downtown, especially if a third hotel, third office and third residential.  Could more practically pull off a 600+ footer.  Of course in this town, a 30 story underground garage would also be needed.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

ignatius wrote: ^Well the Plaza could easily pull of a hotel/residence building as well. 

But it also gives an opportunity to do a 'new tallest' building downtown, especially if a third hotel, third office and third residential.  Could more practically pull off a 600+ footer.  Of course in this town, a 30 story underground garage would also be needed.
LOL
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

I think it's time for a new signature highrise in DT KC, something that's about 700 ft. I'm tired of Indy having a taller one than us. Having one just to the east of the 3 tall glass buildings would look nice since that area is kind of a gap in our skyline.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

ignatius wrote:
Yep, eventually I think the mixed-use tower will enter Kansas City and significantly re-make the skyline.  I would love to see a project of this caliber, www.3344peachtree.com, grace the KC skyline.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

I just want to see some more modern buildings downtown. I feel like the DT has alot of old and tired-looking buildings down there. I know the P&L Building is historic with its art deco look, so I don't mind that one, but the Commerce Tower and that thing near the new KCStar printing press look like crap. I'm usually not the type that likes to see older buildings demolished to make way for perhaps smaller buildings, but some of the buildings downtown could probably go and I'd be happy with it. I hope the P&L Dist. gives us some modern looking structures.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

I want a mixed use tower that looks like this

http://www.skyscraperpicture.com/minneapolis14.JPG