Vehicle Inspection

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Vehicle Inspection

Post by staubio »

I just realized that my poor neglected and oft forgotten car has plates that expire today.  Thus, I actually drove her today so I could get an inspection to renew the plates sometime next month.  I basically have my lunch hour to get it done.  Anyone have a quick suggestion on somewhere I can get in and out of and that won't try to sell me a new exhaust system by claiming mine is broken?

Anyone interested in a car share?  My car never gets used but I need it for bike races and very occassional massive grocery trips.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Vehicle Inspection

Post by dangerboy »

I always go to Hank's on 39th.  They never try to upsell.  But they and everyone else will be busy today with the folks that waited until the last day of the month...
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

staubio wrote: I just realized that my poor neglected and oft forgotten car has plates that expire today.  Thus, I actually drove her today so I could get an inspection to renew the plates sometime next month.  I basically have my lunch hour to get it done.  Anyone have a quick suggestion on somewhere I can get in and out of and that won't try to sell me a new exhaust system by claiming mine is broken?

Anyone interested in a car share?  My car never gets used but I need it for bike races and very occassional massive grocery trips.
Good luck! - I just went through the pleasure of my first MO registration process a couple of months ago.  Finding someone willing to fit you in for the measly $7 or so they make on it is a bitch.  I had an afternoon off and drove around to 7 or 8 downtown/midtown shops and couldn't find a one of them that could find the time to do it.  You better just plan on booking in advance and leaving it for the day.  I have heared that there is a shop just east of the Costco that will do the whole registration process for you and doesn't ask too many questions about things like expired tags or broken tail lights.  
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I can leave it anywhere.  Problem is, this is the last day I can legally drive it.  I'm not sure how one is supposed to have a vehicle inspected if they let their plates expire.  They technically have to drive it illegally in order to make it legal again.

I planned on waiting until sometime next month because I figure the DMV is swamped, but I didn't think about the fact that the inspection places would be swamped as well.  Perhaps I'll call around and leave it somewhere for the afternoon and then go pick it up tonight.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

If you get an oil change at the Goodyear in Waldo, they'll inspect your car without you having to ask. Also, they don't pressure you for replacing parts in your car. "Your gommaflange is a little dusty. You should get a new one." I make an afternoon of it, whenever I go. I drop off the car at Goodyear, get my hair cut, grab lunch at Chipotle, and all's taken care of. Even if your car isn't in desperate need of an oil change, it's a good way to get it inspected.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

If you don't get it all done today then you'll have a fine.  It's not much (<$20 I think?  I want to say $8 but I can't remember) and it won't be incurred again until the end of the next month.  So I'd get your inspection this weekend and go to the DMV the second week in June when nobody is there.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

there's this place at 17th street between summit and jefferson.  go there.
you'll pass.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Kard wrote: If you don't get it all done today then you'll have a fine.  It's not much (<$20 I think?  I want to say $8 but I can't remember) and it won't be incurred again until the end of the next month.  So I'd get your inspection this weekend and go to the DMV the second week in June when nobody is there.
Actually, the late fee is a one-time charge.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

bahua wrote: Actually, the late fee is a one-time charge.
If you wait two months you'll pay double the fee.  <-- That's what I meant.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I waited three months, and I paid $5. That was in 2003, though.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I wasn't so lucky after two months.  It was still way cheap.

You can still get a ticket, though.  My sister in law got a ticket for expired plates when she had her new stickers in the glove box.  Doh.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Oh yeah you can get a ticket. It's a moving violation, too.
Rusty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty »

Main Street Chevrolet will wash or vacuum (I can't remember which) your car along with the $12 inspection.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

bahua wrote: Oh yeah you can get a ticket. It's a moving violation, too.
I don't plan on driving it, so I'm not worried about being ticketed particularly.  The late fees are annoying -- why should it matter if I let it lapse if I don't drive it.  I once let my insurance lapse for awhile for the same reason and paid a penalty.  Annoying.

Thanks for the tips, all.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I also found out that it isn't illegal to drive to an inspection station if your tags are expired, as long as you are travelling on the most direct route and go directly to and from said station.

I do have a windshield crack that is completely inconsequential to the safety of the car and my ability to see.  If they fail my inspection based upon that, I'm giving my car away. 

What keeps you from not liking your result and taking it to another station until you pass?
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

there is latitude.

Once I let a plate expire. I was selling a car and forgot to get it updated. Believe it or not, I was selling it to a KC fireman. He wanted to take it to his mechanic to look over before he bought it.

I typed up a note and signed it stating that I knew the plate was expired and why and sent the fireman off to his mechanic with the note in case he got stopped. Turned out that his mechanic bud was  you guessed it, a KC cop.

Let me go on record as saying the vehicle inspection here in MO is for the most part nothing more than a racket. There are sooooo many cars on the road that I just know cannot pass the inspection.

Of late, I just get my inspection when I first start thinking about it when it is coming due and then I have plenty of time to get my plate. I'm a notorious procrastinator. And I hate sitting at the license place with all the other procrastinators.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I believe that their is a legislative initiative in the works to abolish the inspections.  However, given the pace of the legislature, I don't imagine you want to wait them out. 
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

That's good.  That sucks.  In St Louis (and I'd imagine in KC with in the next 10 years) one also had to get an emissions test before being able to renew one's tag.  Aggravating.

When my brother bought a car in Oregon two months ago they left the dealership with their new permanent plates, the car already registered with the state, and no sales tax to pay.  They basically didn't have to do anything at all other then go home.  Seems that's how it oughtta be.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

In KS you just mail in a copy of your insurance card along with your property tax and they mail you the sticker.  No inspections, no office visits.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

lock&load wrote: In KS you just mail in a copy of your insurance card along with your property tax and they mail you the sticker.  No inspections, no office visits.
You can do that in MO too if you get your vehicle inspected and send that cert in with the rest. No office visit in that case either. I usually procrastinate too long though.