Parks and Boulavard System questions

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
velvetelvis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Parks and Boulavard System questions

Post by velvetelvis »

Anyone have any information, or can direct me to information (books, publications, websites) on how the parks and boulevard system in Kansas City was developed and/or implemented.

Specifically looking for:
Eminent Domain - was the land already developed neighborhoods, or was it rural? Were the current boulevards old streets or trails?
Funding - who/what paid for it
Designer - Kessler?

Opinion question: Do you think the parks and boulevards systems are beneficial to the city as a whole and neighborhoods it connects? If so how?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Parks and Boulavard System questions

Post by lock+load »

Try the downtown library, it looks like some of these items might have what you are looking for.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I believe most of the boulevards were planned before the adjacent land was developed.  It was part of the city's overall plan for where to develop new neighborhoods. I would bet it was paid for out of general city money, long before things like TIF, TDD, or 353. 

Today, property owners along the boulevards do pay a small assessment for extra street cleaning and leaf pickup.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

older, closer in boulevards like the first part of the paseo, admiral boulevard, kessler boulevard (which no longer exists - it is buried under I-35), and probably penn valley park and the parade park were all examples of wholesale slum clearance - they removed shanty towns and replaced them with parks and boulevards.  further out, such as van brunt, benton, ward parkway, volker, armour, linwood, etc, were probably developed synomously with their neighborhoods.  i'd assume anything north of 31st street, west of prospect, south of the river and east of state line as a boulevard as slum clearance project, since the neighborhoods would have been developed when the parks department was created (neighborhoods in the the pre - 1900 city limits)
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
velvetelvis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by velvetelvis »

thanks for the info! 8)
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Did they ever work out the whole firestorm over the new traffic lights on Ward Parkway? I haven't driven down the Parkway in a few months.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

justin8216 wrote: Did they ever work out the whole firestorm over the new traffic lights on Ward Parkway? I haven't driven down the Parkway in a few months.
There was a blurb in the Star a few days ago for an upcoming public meeting regarding the lights.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

I think they didn't get installed before the controversy grew enough that the city reversed course. I've been on Ward Parkway several times since the debate last year and never saw any new lights go up.
passerby
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by passerby »