Buying a Bike

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
Robafurd
Strip mall
Strip mall

Buying a Bike

Post by Robafurd »

I haven't ridden a bike in years but I do go jogging every day and I am getting a little bored with the routine, and so have decided to get a bike.  I think it will be fun to be able to go for longer distances on my workouts, and I'm excited to discover a much bigger swath of the city. 

But I don't know what kind of bike would be appropriate for this kind of action.  I was thinking a road bike, but my best friend tells me to go ahead and get a mountain bike because it will be a more comfortable ride.  What do the cyclists out there recommend?  Also, where should I buy my bike?  thanks.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Buying a Bike

Post by Highlander »

Robafurd wrote: I haven't ridden a bike in years but I do go jogging every day and I am getting a little bored with the routine, and so have decided to get a bike.  I think it will be fun to be able to go for longer distances on my workouts, and I'm excited to discover a much bigger swath of the city. 

But I don't know what kind of bike would be appropriate for this kind of action.  I was thinking a road bike, but my best friend tells me to go ahead and get a mountain bike because it will be a more comfortable ride.  What do the cyclists out there recommend?  Also, where should I buy my bike?  thanks.
If you are torn and want a little of both, get a hybrid.  I have a trek hybrid and it suits me fine on roads and off road but on long trips and big hills, not being able to change hand positions is a drawback. 
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I'd recommend a road bike for you since you enjoy jogging.  I've tried mountain biking on single track before and it just wore me out too fast.  With a road bike you can go for a few hours at a more relaxed pace vs up-a-hill, down-a-hill--quick! dodge that tree--ungh! more hills! with a mountain bike.

Plus if you want to use it for getting around town, the skinny tires on a roadie make them a lot easier to pedal.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KC_Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Fan »

Robafurd wrote: Also, where should I buy my bike?
Acme Bicycle Company.  18th and Oak in the Crossroads. 
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KC_Fan wrote: Acme Bicycle Company.  18th and Oak in the Crossroads. 
I went here and wasn't impressed.  I left feeling like a bicycle idiot.  River Market was great.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

Has anyone purchased a Folding bike?  I have a very limited amount of space and think this would be the answer to my problem.

Mountain Type
BMX Type
kuwolde
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kuwolde »

Robafurd wrote:
You could probably use either type of bike if you are just wanting to get into shape and explore around the city.  Once you get a chance to ride a couple of styles you'll probably find one that feels more comfortable than another.  Make sure you look around to different shops/brands as well.  Personally I've enjoyed dealing with the Trek store on Shawnee Mission Pkwy during the past year.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

I know this isn't the northland room, but this is a cycling question and no better place to tack this up.

Anyone knoe where to access the alleged 20 mile long paved trail at Smithville Lake?  Better yet, anyone know if it's been completed and is in fact 20 miles?

I've found some DATED websites that suggest it's under contruction or that only 7 miles are done, but those sites appeared to be ancient.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Get a hybrid. Your rolling resistance will be much less, and i'm guessing you don't need
real off road capabilites, so no need to spring the $$.
Good hauling ability if you chose to mount a rack.
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

Slappy the Wang wrote: I know this isn't the northland room, but this is a cycling question and no better place to tack this up.

Anyone know where to access the alleged 20 mile long paved trail at Smithville Lake?  Better yet, anyone know if it's been completed and is in fact 20 miles?

I've found some DATED websites that suggest it's under contruction or that only 7 miles are done, but those sites appeared to be ancient.
I'm confused on this as well. My mother keeps wanting me to go cycling with her there but I am doubtful that such a trail currently exists. I am only familiar with the very steep/partially paved trails on the west side of the Lake. Those are no where near 20 miles long.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Slappy the Wang wrote: Anyone knoe where to access the alleged 20 mile long paved trail at Smithville Lake?  Better yet, anyone know if it's been completed and is in fact 20 miles?
This is a current map of the mountain bike trails, but it also shows the paved trails in gray. 

http://www.northlandtrails.org/maps/smvmtb.htm

There are 20 miles of multi-use trails.  I'd guess about a third are paved so far, with the remainder being gravel.  There are two trail heads with access to the paved trails.  Sailboat Cove parking lot on Paradise Road, and Route W just east of the bridge.
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

Mountain bikes, pshaw!

Thanks for the map....
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

After living DT for a year I have finally decided to get around to buying a bike to run errands and get out and about and whatnot.  For the cyclists on the forum - can anyone give me a ballpark idea of what a fellow ought to expect to have to pay for a decent entry level hybrid or road bike?  I have read about all of the reasons why I shouldn't go buy a bike at Target but I still am not sure if I want to go plop down $500+ when I am still not sure how much I will use it.  Any advice?
VELO DOOM
Pad site
Pad site

Post by VELO DOOM »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: After living DT for a year I have finally decided to get around to buying a bike to run errands and get out and about and whatnot.  For the cyclists on the forum - can anyone give me a ballpark idea of what a fellow ought to expect to have to pay for a decent entry level hybrid or road bike?  I have read about all of the reasons why I shouldn't go buy a bike at Target but I still am not sure if I want to go plop down $500+ when I am still not sure how much I will use it.   Any advice?
You could always go used.  If you're just using it to run a few errands here and there it'd be an option.  I'd go to some decent shop and have them measure you for a bike, you'll need to be fitted if you go new or used cause you want the bike to fit. But once you know the size you can keep an eye out for used stuff. 

Ride Loose!!!
great men live dangerously, small men don't take chances.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

VELO DOOM wrote: You could always go used.  If you're just using it to run a few errands here and there it'd be an option.  I'd go to some decent shop and have them measure you for a bike, you'll need to be fitted if you go new or used cause you want the bike to fit. But once you know the size you can keep an eye out for used stuff. 

Ride Loose!!!
I did not know you had to be fitted. do they go by your height? or height and weight?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

schugg wrote: I did not know you had to be fitted. do they go by your height? or height and weight?
Mostly has to do with height, but people end up being 5'10" many different ways (legs + torso, etc).
LenexatoKCMO wrote: After living DT for a year I have finally decided to get around to buying a bike to run errands and get out and about and whatnot.  For the cyclists on the forum - can anyone give me a ballpark idea of what a fellow ought to expect to have to pay for a decent entry level hybrid or road bike?  I have read about all of the reasons why I shouldn't go buy a bike at Target but I still am not sure if I want to go plop down $500+ when I am still not sure how much I will use it.  Any advice?
Yeah, go ride a couple hybrids around on a Saturday at the shops and see what you think.  River Market is a great shop, Midwest on Broadway is ok but watch out for Bob the owner.  Bike Stop is pretty good.  Avoid Leawood Cyclery.  I've heard some strange (unethical?) things about Bike America.  Others I'm not familiar with.

Watch CraigsList, too.  http://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/

And I would think 300-500 should get you a decent hybrid.  I'd start cheaper and make sure it's for you.  You can generally sell a good bike for a hundred or so less then what you paid for it if you choose to upgrade in a year or two.

And, throw away the uncomfortable seat and buy a new one before leaving the store.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

VELO DOOM wrote: You could always go used.  If you're just using it to run a few errands here and there it'd be an option.  I'd go to some decent shop and have them measure you for a bike, you'll need to be fitted if you go new or used cause you want the bike to fit. But once you know the size you can keep an eye out for used stuff. 

Ride Loose!!!
I had thought about the used option but I don't know if I am really knowledgeable enough to spot problems or wear.  

If I go to the Cycle shop and pay more money to buy their entry level bike, is that really going to be that much better of a bike then the discount store bike?  
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Kard wrote: Mostly has to do with height, but people end up being 5'10" many different ways (legs + torso, etc).

Yeah, go ride a couple hybrids around on a Saturday at the shops and see what you think.  River Market is a great shop, Midwest on Broadway is ok but watch out for Bob the owner.  Bike Stop is pretty good.  Avoid Leawood Cyclery.  I've heard some strange (unethical?) things about Bike America.  Others I'm not familiar with.

And I would think 300-500 should get you a decent hybrid.  I'd start cheaper and make sure it's for you.  You can generally sell a good bike for a hundred or so less then what you paid for it if you choose to upgrade in a year or two.

And, throw away the uncomfortable seat and buy a new one before leaving the store.
Thanks - It seems like everyone is pretty unanimous that Rivermarket is a good outfit so I figured I would go give them a look this weekend. 
VELO DOOM
Pad site
Pad site

Post by VELO DOOM »

Kard wrote: Mostly has to do with height, but people end up being 5'10" many different ways (legs + torso, etc).

Exactly on the fitting.  Generally its the inseam thats the greatest factor, which determines stand over height. Basically you want like an inch or two below you crotch when you straddle the bike.  Like I said in my last post I'm talking about road bikes, I don't know anything about a hybrid.  

On the shop tip....Bought my race bike from Bob at Midwest, only cause there were only two places that sold Bianchis and the shop in Lee's Summit seemed like a bunch of yuppies, when I went in there.  So Bob got the sale, and I have mixed feelings..not sure that I'd drop as much as I did there again.  In fact, ya I wouldn't drop what I did there..so there! ha.  Bike Stop on Sterling is my joint.  I've grown up with those guys cause I used to live in that area as a kid and have had friends who worked there...props to them. And what have you heard about Bike America?  I think my friend is currently working at a couple of their shops.

Oh one more thing!  Don't forget to look at craiglists for REAL cities like Chicago.  Like 100 postings a day just for bikes as compared to the 3 a month for KC.  I need to move.

-the Velo
great men live dangerously, small men don't take chances.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Anyone ridden the loop around the DT airport?  I know the govt is a little weird about security...is there any problem just riding around the outer road?
Be green or go Broke Tryin'