MegaBus service offers $1 rides from St Louis to Chicago, KC added

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: MegaBus service offers $1 rides from St Louis to Chicago, KC added

Post by KCPowercat »

KC0KEK wrote: Yet another reason why it's difficult to believe the claims made in another thread of routinely driving from KC to STL in 3 hours or so.
yes, if you drive like a bus, it will take longer than 3 hours.

Somebody strap a GPS on themselves next time they drive to STL...this is not an impossible feat...why so hung up on it?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

KCPowercat wrote: why so hung up on it?
Never said I was. Just mentioning it. Not as if I started a thread on KC-STL runs.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

I have a friend that's booked three trips on Megabus for a total of $50.  One round trip was only $2.  He's on his first one to Chicago this weekend; he's probably there already.  I'll be curious to hear what he thinks.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

it would be cool if skybus and megabus could collaborate on bookings! unlikely since skybus has already teamed up with avis... the plane/auto juggernaut continues unabated.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

my megabus experience

fare: originally $8 one-way, changed the date at the last minute resulting in an $8 increase. we arrived in STL on amtrak (only 45 minutes late!), so only a one-way fare this time.
boarding: moved to the west side of union station. there is a sign now (similar to a regular bus stop). deboarding in KC was in one of the stalls at the 10th/main transit center (where there is also a megabus stop sign). the monday bus was about 1/3 full.
timeliness: departed 5 minutes late, arrived in KC on time (4h15m).
the ride: the driver made quick work of I-70 and appeared to be moving faster than the flow of traffic. reclining seats are very comfortable with overhead bins for smallish bags (most luggage goes underneath, including bikes!). 15-minute pit stop in boonville (although wouldn't columbia seem more logical?). while the ride was smooth for a bus, it still doesn't beat the comfort of the train. the driver played some smooth jazz satellite radio at a low volume.

overall, i can't wait until this service is expanded to other cities. i wouldn't take megabus all the way to chicago, but it's a good alternative to amtrak and greyhound.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

adding a third KC trip in september. they're also looking for other expansion cities.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

^ what was your source?  the megabus website still shows only the 11:30 am and 8:00 pm departures from kansas city through early october.

btw, megabus now serves six cities from a second hub in los angeles -- san francisco, oakland, san jose, san diego, las vegas, tempe.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

How do these guys make money?
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

^ headquartered in the uk.  very deep pockets.  oh -- and extremely low overhead.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Think of what it costs to drive a laden bus from KC to St. Louis. Maybe $200? Maybe? If you keep the overhead down, you can make more than $200 from rider fares.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

enough wrote: ^ what was your source?
the driver.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

I hope they add Denver.  That would be sweet.  Beyond that maybe they are adding a stop in Columbia to capitalize on the broke college kids there?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

jlbomega wrote: I hope they add Denver.  That would be sweet.  Beyond that maybe they are adding a stop in Columbia to capitalize on the broke college kids there?
a downtown columbia stop (not the freeway exit stop that greyhound makes today) is far more sensible than the 15-minute break they take right now in nearby boonville.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

DaveKCMO wrote: a downtown columbia stop (not the freeway exit stop that greyhound makes today) is far more sensible than the 15-minute break they take right now in nearby boonville.
A 15-minute break sure doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I don't see why they should stop at all, but if they must, then CoMo would make more sense to me.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

bahua wrote: A 15-minute break sure doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I don't see why they should stop at all, but if they must, then CoMo would make more sense to me.
possibly because the same driver is used from chicago to KC? they might have changed over during the STL pit stop, but i didn't really notice. a friend rode awhile back and their driver was a chain smoker, so that may be another reason.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I thought somebody said that megabus will operate out of union station in KC?  Anymore on this?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

GRID wrote: I thought somebody said that megabus will operate out of union station in KC?  Anymore on this?
If Chicago is any indication, this looks doubtful.  Chicago Union Station and Amtrak are really pissed at MegaBus for using the sidewalk at Union Station without permission.  They have placed big signs outside warning the bus riders not use the facilities inside Union Station or block the sidewalk for rail customers.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Amtrak, though it's technically a private organization, is almost entirely supported by public funds. But the legal basis of their objection is believable.

Union Station, however, is a public space. I was under the impression that it was owned by the city of Chicago.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

i have no idea of the terms of current arrangements, but if megabus were to lease some street front from Union Station then they might get a better reception.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

More MegaBus in Chicago and the loses that parent company Stagecoach is seeing on this unsustainable pricing.

http://www.narprail.org/cms/index.php/n ... t_markets/