Sonics on their way out of Seattle?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Sonics on their way out of Seattle?

Post by AllThingsKC »

MidtownCat wrote: Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see any REAL desire like OKC is showing to try and get an NBA or NHL team playing downtown at the arena.
I think I agree with you.  But, if nothing else, at least there's NHL 21.
KC is the way to be!
Hull-Os
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Hull-Os »

It's hard to see KC doing that, especially if they thought there was a chance we'd get the Penguins.
The Penguins are staying in Pittsburgh. It's a done deal.

The difference between OKC and KC:
OKC -- local guy who owns an NBA team (Clay Bennett)
KC -- no local guy who is willing to purchase an NBA or NHL team

Heck, we can't even find a local guy to buy the Wiz(ards), Royals or Chiefs.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

According to this story:

He said he turned down higher offers from potential buyers that he felt would move the team immediately. Some earlier offers were known to have been from San Jose, Calif., and Kansas City, Mo.

KC Star:Cross Sonics off list for Sprint Arena

The Sprint Center is scheduled to open in less than 15 months, and it appears two candidates for relocation to Kansas City have slipped away.

A group of Oklahoma City businessmen purchased the Seattle SuperSonics for $350 million on Tuesday, which could put the NBA just 350 miles down Interstate 35 from Kansas City one day.

And in Pittsburgh, city and county officials announced they have solidified financing for a new arena, a move that could help the Penguins remain in Pittsburgh after their lease at antiquated Mellon Arena expires next spring.
Last edited by KCMax on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Can we get an update about the Orlando Magic, Portland Trailblazers, and Sactown Kings?

Also, what's the status with the Nashville Predators?  Didn't they want renovations to the Gaylord Center?

Out of those 4 what do you guys think will be our best shot?
Caycee
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Caycee »

What a crock of sh!t.
drewser
Surface Lot

Post by drewser »

skim82 wrote: Also, what's the status with the Nashville Predators?  Didn't they want renovations to the Gaylord Center?

The Predators want a scoreboard, no renovations. They are not leaving Nashville. Is every team with occasional atendance problems and any type of arena issue a candiadate to move? Maybe you should start dreaming of the New York Islanders or Chicago Blackhawks, last I checked, they were drawing poorly. So did the Blues, just across the state.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

Hull-Os wrote: Heck, we can't even find a local guy to buy the Wiz(ards), Royals or Chiefs.
Not true concerning the Wizards. There is a local group negotiating to buy the team from HSG. The group is lead by Neal Patterson and Cliff Illig of Cerner Corp.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

skim82 wrote: Can we get an update about the Orlando Magic, Portland Trailblazers, and Sactown Kings?

Also, what's the status with the Nashville Predators?  Didn't they want renovations to the Gaylord Center?

Check out my blog for updates. The Kings have until August 2 to reach agreement to put something on the ballot, otherwise they have to wait until 2008. The Maloofs will not wait that long.

The Magic are looking at sites for a new arena in Orlando, somewhere in the range of $350 million, but the Florida Legislature already rebuffed them this spring. The Legislature doesn't meet again til next March.

Don't know about Portland. I think they're committed to staying, at least for the foreseeable future.

Right now, the Kings are the best shot, although I don't know how high KC is on their list of relocation sites. The Magic are still a viable relocation candidate.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Sacramento announcement may come today

If it does, that's probably bad news for Kansas City.

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax wrote: Sacramento announcement may come today

If it does, that's probably bad news for Kansas City.
#-o
KC is the way to be!
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

drewser wrote: The Predators want a scoreboard, no renovations. They are not leaving Nashville. Is every team with occasional atendance problems and any type of arena issue a candiadate to move? Maybe you should start dreaming of the New York Islanders or Chicago Blackhawks, last I checked, they were drawing poorly. So did the Blues, just across the state.
In the mind of most people, if a team doesnt draw well then yes they are a candidate for relocation. Yet they fail to recognize many other aspects. As for the New York Islanders, they are on the verge of a HUGE revitalization of their arena and surrounding area, and they just got a new and rich owner i believe. Now about the Blackhawks... their owner is one of the worst in sports, and he even blacks out home games on local television for no apparent reason. However, the NHL founding fathers would turn over in their graves if an Original Six team left. No matter how bad a situation may get, they will try and keep an important team where it is.

As for the Sonics not moving here, sorry boys, now you know how I feel (just on a lower scale).
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Kings and Sacramento have reached agreement on a proposal for a new arena to be submitted to voters this November. It will be a quarter cent sales tax to raise $1.2 billion to pay for an estimated $500 million arena. Sacramento will own the arena. The Maloofs will contribute between 25-30% of the costs.

Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

KCMax wrote: Kings and Sacramento have reached agreement on a proposal for a new arena to be submitted to voters this November. It will be a quarter cent sales tax to raise $1.2 billion to pay for an estimated $500 million arena. Sacramento will own the arena. The Maloofs will contribute between 25-30% of the costs.
F*ck! Not only did they manage to get the measure on the ballot, but it's just grand to see another ownership group willing to contribute far more money than our cheap ass owners here in KC.  Are chances of landing a team are dwindling fast...
AndrewN
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AndrewN »

Okay...how many of you have been  to OKC recently?  I grew up there and I have to say the downtown area has change dramatically.  The metro area is growing more rapidly then what the census bureau estimates.  This was proven when the last census showed the estimates to be significantly off.  OKC has several big money business (2 Fortune 500) including Cheasapeake Oil and  Devon Energy.  Kerr McGee will still have a presence in OKC despite there recent sale to an oil company in Houston.  OKC has been named a top city for business expansion. 

A NBA team will succeed in OKlahoma City because the metro area of 1.1 million has no other major league team.  Tulsa is only 1hour 15min away and will be a draw to the games as well  The people there are hungry for something--and there disdane for texans limits the dependence on any Dallas teams. There is nothing else that can siphon the money away.

Oklahoma city will also host a NCAA tourney first and second rounds in 2010.

OKlahoma City has a tremendous amount going for it.

I love Kansas City a lot--but let's not put down the little guy especially when the little guy has been doing things to draw people back downtown long before KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm cheering for OKC but Ford Center in it's current form is NOT an NBA level arena.

I'm thinking Orlando is our dark horse.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

My money is on the Magic as well. I also don't think the Kings arena is a slam dunk yet.

skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

SOB, still i was hoping to get the Kings back here to KC..

The Orlando Magic sounds good... let's get some jersey designs out!
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

*Official NBA Licensed Gangsta Bling-Bling not included
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Any word yet on what happens if Sacramento voters don't approve the sale tax?  Will Sacramento save their team?
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Why do I get the impression that every "pro-hockey" fan has some sort of issue with people that might not dress like them or listen to the same music as them?....this seems to be their biggest anti-NBA argument...this new term "gangsta".  I don't see pro-nba fans acting the players on the ice in quite the same way.....rather stating points that bball has a rich history in the area and we'd prefer it to hockey.

What is the issue with "gangstas" is my question...and what exactly does that even mean?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc