GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by KCRoyal »

Another final at bat win by the boys in blue!

4-straight wins!  We didn't win more than 3 straight all last year.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Maybe, just maybe, this is the year for the Royals that can be an example of 'the sum being greater than its parts.'

Caught some of the player interviews on TV after the games.  They appear to be a very confident bunch of young men.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Please stop.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I know it's early but I wonder if Greinke is wishing he had stayed in KC.  Milwaukee is in 4th place right now in their division.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I hate to be the Debby Downer here, but it has only been 5 games!  And, 5 home game at that.  If the Royals are still playing like this in the July, then I'll be impressed.  But, I can't tell anything from 5 home games.  I'm not saying that they won't play like in July.  I am just very familiar with the Royals, so I expect the down slide at anytime.
KC is the way to be!
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

AllThingsKC wrote: I'm not saying that they won't play like in July. 
I'll say it.  The Royals won't play like this in July. 

But, I'll still be excited about them in April.  Especially because we're so young.  future's bright. 
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Can't win with starting pitching and defense that the Royals have displayed thus far. Truly fortunate to be 4-1 and not 1-4 or 0-5. If the SP and defense start to come around - there's no reason we couldn't at least make a run @ .500 - which would be great.

Still - tons of fun watching them win now. I hope we kick the crap out of the ChiSox today. I hate those MFers.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^^^^
I understand everyones lack of jumping all in.  Self preservation is a Royals fan character trait.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: I know it's early but I wonder if Greinke is wishing he had stayed in KC.  Milwaukee is in 4th place right now in their division.
One can never overestimate the importance of getting rid of Yuni.  The trade may have been worth it from that standpoint alone. &&&&

Really small sample size, but...  0 errors and 1.000 fielding % vs. 1 error and .941 fielding percentage for Escobar vs. Yuni this season.
KC-wildcat wrote: I'll say it.  The Royals won't play like this in July.  

But, I'll still be excited about them in April.  Especially because we're so young.  future's bright.  
Exactly.  As a Royals fan who watches 70% of the games when we are terrible, I allow myself to get foolishly excited, knowing that those opportunities are few and far between.  I'm sure they will tumble, but it is a great story for the time being.  Let everyone else try to win with big payrolls and old players while we basically go out of our way to suck and lead the division.  The best that could happen is that we scare others in our division into making stupid trades in anticipation of our much publicized future dominance.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Enjoy it for now, but let's take it for what it is - 3% of the season done. If this was an NFL season, we'd be in the second quarter of the first game.

http://www.royalsreview.com/2011/4/3/20 ... comparison
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Yeah, get as excited as you want, but you're only setting yourself up for inevitable disappointment.  Don't forget about the 2009 Royals, who sat at 18-11 on May 7 and went 47-86 for the rest of the season after that -- and that team had a Cy Young winner starting every fifth game.  Our staff ace now is Luke Hochevar, he of the career 5.61 ERA.

We're less than one week into a six month long season.  On paper this is one of the worst teams in baseball.  They've won two games in extra innings and another game with a walkoff home run.  They only have one save and the starting rotation has yet to earn a win (questionable though these stats may be for evaluating the abilities of a player, they're pretty good for demonstrating how close all these games have been).  They're certainly scrappy, but that's all.  For this team to have any sustained success, they can't just be greater than the sum of their parts, they'll need most of the other teams to be less than the sum of their parts.  And the funny thing is, as great as this farm system is now, as bright as the future looks a couple more seasons down the road, I don't really mind admitting that.  Usually I try to keep myself grounded while I do entertain hope that maybe this is the year.  But this isn't the year and for once, I am perfectly okay with that.

It would be funny (and awful) if fluke after fluke conspired to take the Royals to the World Series with Melky Cabrera and Jeff Francoeur and then Moustakas, Hosmer, Myers, et al never managed to get there.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

phuqueue wrote: Yeah, get as excited as you want, but you're only setting yourself up for inevitable disappointment. 
As opposed to a constant state of disappointment? I'll take it - if only for a few weeks.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

WSPanic wrote: As opposed to a constant state of disappointment? I'll take it - if only for a few weeks.
Exactly.  We all know how hapless and ill-equipped this team is when it comes to an entire season.  But it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.  I have chosen to love this team against my better judgment as apposed to feeling detached and forlorn as I generally do.  If all goes according to realistic expectations, I will be back there in three or four weeks.  So for the moment, unrealistic is fine by me.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

AllThingsKC wrote: I hate to be the Debby Downer here, but it has only been 5 games!   And, 5 home game at that.  If the Royals are still playing like this in the July, then I'll be impressed.  But, I can't tell anything from 5 home games.  I'm not saying that they won't play like in July.  I am just very familiar with the Royals, so I expect the down slide at anytime.
I'm not trying to be over optimistic.  I know there is still a long way to go.  But for now the team is on a good ride so why not enjoy it before reality sets in.  All I am trying to say is maybe this team will not be a bad as it looks on paper.  As they say sports is also a mental game and right now this team is in the right frame of mind.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

WSPanic wrote: As opposed to a constant state of disappointment? I'll take it - if only for a few weeks.
It's not really "disappointing" if you know it's coming -- when they start sucking it's just expected, and if they never start sucking, it's a pleasant surprise.  Anyway, I'm enjoying each win (and hoping we don't blow the one we're working on right now) as much as anyone -- I'm just realistic that this isn't the year when the winning is going to last.  Nobody's saying not to enjoy the moment, just that it's not wise to talk yourself into thinking this is the year based on less than a week of games.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

Well, today was a downer.  Soria with the blown save.  Still had a chance to win it in extras, but the situational hitting is still suspect with this offense.  The good news from today is that Francis was solid again.  Defiantly looks like the best starting pitcher in the rotation (not saying much, but still).

Divisional roadtrip starting Friday.  3 in Detroit and 2 in Minnesota.
Last edited by KCRoyal on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Let's win them at home first and then tackle the road games. GO ROYALS!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

When they came back down to earth they hit hard.  Let's see what the second week brings us.

By the way, still feeling good about the team.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

Royals lose game 1 in the Detroit series, 5-2.  The good news is Alex Gordon and Billy Butler are still hitting well.  The bad news...Kyle Davies is still Kyle Davies.  3 2/3 innings, 5 ER and 5 walks.  ](*,)
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCRoyal wrote: Royals lose game 1 in the Detroit series, 5-2.  The good news is Alex Gordon and Billy Butler are still hitting well.  The bad news...Kyle Davies is still Kyle Davies.  3 2/3 innings, 5 ER and 5 walks.   ](*,)

Is Montgomery here yet?
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James