GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

shinatoo wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:33 pm Continuing the discussion from the downtown Stadium thread. It feels like the Royals are treating the season like an extended spring training, or a 4A season. They've been running everybody out at multiple positions. Im assuming its to see what they can do at the major league level. It really sucks for this year but I think it's going to service us well in the long run. That is If we actually find anything out.

Fells like we are doing a full reset.

The key is we have to capitalize on what we learn from this season going into next season. This is where we're going to really find out what the new ownership is about.
They’ve been doing that same “trying every position player” thing since like 2019. It never ends.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

shinatoo wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:33 pm Continuing the discussion from the downtown Stadium thread. It feels like the Royals are treating the season like an extended spring training, or a 4A season. They've been running everybody out at multiple positions. Im assuming its to see what they can do at the major league level. It really sucks for this year but I think it's going to service us well in the long run. That is If we actually find anything out.

Fells like we are doing a full reset.

The key is we have to capitalize on what we learn from this season going into next season. This is where we're going to really find out what the new ownership is about.
The multiple positions thing is frustrating. They really should know what players are by the time they get to the majors.

I wonder how much of a leash JJ has. Yes he’s a “new” gm but so much of the front office personnel is the same.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

https://www.si.com/mlb/red-sox/news/red ... ey%20said.
Red Sox are shopping former top prospects Bobby Dalbec and Jarren Duran. A 3B and CF and they seem to need a 1B. We have Pratto and Pasquantino who would work well for them. We have to start making some moves.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Dozier was just DFAed. I think Bradly Jr should be next.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Sherman and others in the ownership group in attendance at the Linda Hall Library talk tonight on Baseball in the Analytics Era.

Good.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

I have 0 confidence in Sherman.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Metro wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:11 am I have 0 confidence in Sherman.
I don’t understand why so many people have that perspective. He’s very much a long term vision it seems. It’s sucks for this season, but fixing systemic issues in an organization takes way more than the three years he’s owned them, especially considering the 2020 and 2021 seasons.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

What has Sherman done to merit any confidence?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

phuqueue wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:00 am What has Sherman done to merit any confidence?
I guess that depends on what you think of the young talent that's already in the majors. They are learning a lot this year and will be MUCH better next. And the farm system looks pretty good. But I'd like to give him and his staff a few years before I pass any judgment. For me, those few years started last season. 20 and 21 were lost years for us since there wasn't a minor league system to speak of.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

They were learning a lot last year and were supposed to be much better this year, but instead, they're on pace to smash the franchise single season loss record, and if they stumble a little bit more, the AL and MLB records aren't out of the question. Have to admit that I don't follow the farm system as obsessively anymore as I once did, but consensus of rankings that aren't behind paywalls seems to be that it is near the bottom of the league, which should be expected, since so many top prospects graduated last year and are no longer in the farm system. These things are more directly Dayton Moore's fault, but Sherman watched the team regress for three seasons after he bought it (having already regressed in each of the four seasons before that, too) before he finally decided to ditch Moore. Pitching has been clearly broken for a long time, but Cal Eldred stuck around for five years for some reason. Sherm's hands aren't clean here.

My actual position isn't necessarily to have negative confidence in Sherman, to be confident that he can't turn the ship around, but I think having zero confidence in Sherman at this point in time is warranted. He doesn't have an established track record of turning a foundering franchise around. He doesn't really have an established track record of anything. He was previously a minority owner of a Cleveland team that was already good long before he came around. Maybe he'll fix the Royals in a few years or maybe he won't. I don't see any particular reason to give him the benefit of the doubt yet, though.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

phuqueue wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:00 am What has Sherman done to merit any confidence?
Bringing in leadership from Cleveland and Tampa Bay - two small market, smart teams

End result isn't where we want it right now, but directionally there have been improvements to the process
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

phuqueue wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:04 pm They were learning a lot last year and were supposed to be much better this year, but instead, they're on pace to smash the franchise single season loss record, and if they stumble a little bit more, the AL and MLB records aren't out of the question. Have to admit that I don't follow the farm system as obsessively anymore as I once did, but consensus of rankings that aren't behind paywalls seems to be that it is near the bottom of the league, which should be expected, since so many top prospects graduated last year and are no longer in the farm system. These things are more directly Dayton Moore's fault, but Sherman watched the team regress for three seasons after he bought it (having already regressed in each of the four seasons before that, too) before he finally decided to ditch Moore. Pitching has been clearly broken for a long time, but Cal Eldred stuck around for five years for some reason. Sherm's hands aren't clean here.

My actual position isn't necessarily to have negative confidence in Sherman, to be confident that he can't turn the ship around, but I think having zero confidence in Sherman at this point in time is warranted. He doesn't have an established track record of turning a foundering franchise around. He doesn't really have an established track record of anything. He was previously a minority owner of a Cleveland team that was already good long before he came around. Maybe he'll fix the Royals in a few years or maybe he won't. I don't see any particular reason to give him the benefit of the doubt yet, though.
No results on the field so far. Those are the facts.

Does it matter if they lose 99 or 120, not really? But I do think they are on the right track, even though it's so dark right now we can't see the tracks.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

shinatoo wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:14 pm But I do think they are on the right track, even though it's so dark right now we can't see the tracks.
Help me with my Royals depression: What positives are you seeing in this team? I don’t see any prospect who has shown themselves to be anything other than mediocre. Yes, Bobby Witt Jr included. And if we don’t care if we lose 120 and have no hope for the next several years, why not trade Salvador’s Perez? There’s probably no more fans to lose and he’s never going to be in a Royals winner before he’s gone. Put in Fermin or Melendez and move forward instead of worrying about current optics.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

shinatoo wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:14 pm No results on the field so far. Those are the facts.

Does it matter if they lose 99 or 120, not really? But I do think they are on the right track, even though it's so dark right now we can't see the tracks.
But there are results on the field, and they're very bad results. In the grand scheme of turning a franchise around, they are admittedly a small sample size of results, but they definitely exist. And while it doesn't really matter whether they lose 99 or 120 in a vacuum, it does matter if they lose 120 a year after having lost 97. It's not like the rebuild just started this year. These guys are supposed to be getting better, not worse. Sherman did make some moves in the offseason (though declined to make others, such as replacing Moore's entire front office) that at least on paper looked good, but until his team actually finds some success, I'm not really sure why it should be so controversial not to blindly trust that he can right the ship.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

The farm is depleted & there are serious fundamental issues between the way the players are managed vs the way they're treated elsewhere. It's shocking how many guys have left to immediate success elsewhere.

They are in a very seriously bad rut. They hit the rebuild alarm at the end of 2017 & it appears they're going to have to hit it again, a complete waste of a rebuild.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The team being awful and the will-they-won’t-they of the new stadium and location are really testing my patience on this issue, and I wouldn’t be shocked if I’m not alone. At this point it just feels like a game, and extremely unprofessional
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

By 2011 we had brought up Perez, Hosmer, Escobar, Moustakas, Gordon, Dyson, and Lorenzo Cain. We lost 91 games that year and three years later were in the World Series.

Not saying these guys are going to take us to the World Series. But this season is very reminiscent of 2011. Our pitching wasn't ready that year either.

Our bullpen is the worst in the Major Leagues with a 5.00 era. I think we have scored first in 23 games in Lost 18 of those. Or somewhere close to that number. We've also been involved in over 20 one run games and have lost over 15 of those.

We need a better bullpen.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:31 am
Metro wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:11 am I have 0 confidence in Sherman.
I don’t understand why so many people have that perspective. He’s very much a long term vision it seems. It’s sucks for this season, but fixing systemic issues in an organization takes way more than the three years he’s owned them, especially considering the 2020 and 2021 seasons.
He's accomplished 0 since becoming the owner and his whole stadium roll out has been a complete disaster.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:48 pm The team being awful and the will-they-won’t-they of the new stadium and location are really testing my patience on this issue, and I wouldn’t be shocked if I’m not alone. At this point it just feels like a game, and extremely unprofessional
All he would have to do is talk about the young guys and these years being an evaluation blah blah then do some education on the stadium and throw out ideas of affordable housing along with it and he would win alot of people over. Instead he's been very vague and rushing this to a vote next April would be a huge mistake on his part
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

shinatoo wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:00 pm By 2011 we had brought up Perez, Hosmer, Escobar, Moustakas, Gordon, Dyson, and Lorenzo Cain. We lost 91 games that year and three years later were in the World Series.

Not saying these guys are going to take us to the World Series. But this season is very reminiscent of 2011. Our pitching wasn't ready that year either.

Our bullpen is the worst in the Major Leagues with a 5.00 era. I think we have scored first in 23 games in Lost 18 of those. Or somewhere close to that number. We've also been involved in over 20 one run games and have lost over 15 of those.

We need a better bullpen.
The offense is 29th in runs scored. In 2011 they ranked 10th. It's not just a pitching problem.