GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by AlkaliAxel »

ericwyner wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:33 am
brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:41 am Lol the 2 florida teams rank last while the populations of both these metros are pretty large. They should just move half of the Florida sports teams out of the State. The official sport of the state can be WWE Wrestling.

Its a failed experiment that will never work. Nobody goes to the NFL games unless the teams is good or half the fans are from the other team. I am fine with Florida just hosting Super Bowls. MLS failed once, came back and i bet it fails again, Miami FC already is already at the bottom of attendance again.
nobody in LA asked for the Rams or the Chargers either, the NFL needs Florida and LA more than those places need the NFL
The BIG mistake was not having the Raiders in LA. There are more Raiders fans in LA than any other team. Could've made LA a football town if they went there.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:35 am
brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:41 am Lol the 2 florida teams rank last while the populations of both these metros are pretty large. They should just move half of the Florida sports teams out of the State. The official sport of the state can be WWE Wrestling.

Its a failed experiment that will never work. Nobody goes to the NFL games unless the teams is good or half the fans are from the other team. I am fine with Florida just hosting Super Bowls. MLS failed once, came back and i bet it fails again, Miami FC already is already at the bottom of attendance again.
nobody in LA asked for the Rams or the Chargers either, the NFL needs Florida and LA more than those places need the NFL
The BIG mistake was not having the Raiders in LA. There are more Raiders fans in LA than any other team. Could've made LA a football town if they went there.
Couldn’t do it because of gang violence/affiliation
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

freedog wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:32 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:35 am

Couldn’t do it because of gang violence/affiliation
the big $ wanted the Rams
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

You could still have the Rams & Raiders both in LA. Just not the Chargers.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Matheny and Eldred at minimum. These two Sunday losses have been embarrassing.

Having just been promoted, it will be interesting to see if the org is willing to cut ties with Moore
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

They didn't actually lose last Sunday in Colorado because Salvy bailed them out, but yes, the total meltdowns each of the past two Sundays have been unacceptable. I doubt Moore is going anywhere (though I wouldn't complain if he did), but definitely agree that at a minimum the rest of the coaching staff should be following Terry Bradshaw out the door. The team looks lost and continues to find ways to lose across all phases of the game. It wasn't unreasonable to hope, coming into last season, that they might make a run at .500. Instead, they lost 88 games. Then it wasn't unreasonable to hope, coming into this season, that they might make a run at .500. Instead, they're on pace for their worst season since 2005 (the worst in franchise history). But at least that 2005 team had a good excuse -- that roster was full of washed up veterans nobody else wanted, college draft picks who were willing to sign for $1000, and dead-end prospects received in lopsided trades each time a good player managed, despite all odds, to emerge from the barren farm system and reach the majors. This team is full of players with proven talent and highly-regarded prospects (though I suppose also still the occasional dead-ender, like Ryan O'Hearn, or washed up veteran, like Carlos Santana, both inexplicably batting cleanup with alarming frequency), but the coaching staff is doing an incredible job of making the least out of what they have to work with.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Dayton Moore has done a good job bringing *talent* onto the roster. The problem is it's being mismanaged & underperforming- which is why they need to fire the coaching staff including Matheny
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:31 pm Dayton Moore has done a good job bringing *talent* onto the roster. The problem is it's being mismanaged & underperforming- which is why they need to fire the coaching staff including Matheny
Dayton Moore is the 5th longest tenured General Manager (even though his title has been symbolically changed). Moore has two winning seasons during that time and is close to the worst record in baseball since he started. So, that means most every other team has a higher standard for their general managers than the Royals. They expect to win or your gone, no excuses. He's done a poor job developing talent, keeping talent, and bringing in talent. The only reason you keep him is if you don't want to bring in someone else who rocks the boat and demands a larger payroll, free agent spending and instant results. It's past time to clear house.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:31 pm Dayton Moore has done a good job bringing *talent* onto the roster. The problem is it's being mismanaged & underperforming- which is why they need to fire the coaching staff including Matheny
True to a point, but obviously Moore sets the tone for this organization. And these issues aren’t new, they’ve been around Moore’s entire tenure. He is good at evaluating talent and bringing it into the organization. But he has a tendency to cling to (and pay millions of dollars to) players that are not adding value for far too long.

In 2012/2013 it was Yuniesky Betancourt, Kyle Davies, Jeff Francoeur, Chris Getz. Now it’s Carlos Santana and Ryan O’Hearn. I don’t know if it is player loyalty, or something I’m not seeing but these players are holding back the potential Royals stars of the future. Players that need to develop!

Yes, maybe Matheny and certainly Elred need to go. And maybe Matheny is deferring to the veterans over developing new talent - that was a knock on him when he was coaching STL. But the whole organization needs to accept that this team is not competing for the playoffs this year and needs to structure their roster accordingly.

Maybe there are moves on the way. 40 games is usually when Moore believes the sample size is large enough to evaluate his team’s performance (Not that this has recently yielded varied results from year to year).

I don’t know… I’m optimistic about the new hitting coaches that are replacing Bradshaw. But the focus is on Moore and the buck stops with him. I’m just tired of the 100 loss seasons and it looks like we’re in store for another
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

As a comparison, there is 0 chance Dayton Moore makes the Tyreek Hill trade
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:48 pm
Dayton Moore is the 5th longest tenured General Manager (even though his title has been symbolically changed). Moore has two winning seasons during that time and is close to the worst record in baseball since he started. So, that means most every other team has a higher standard for their general managers than the Royals. They expect to win or your gone, no excuses. He's done a poor job developing talent, keeping talent, and bringing in talent. The only reason you keep him is if you don't want to bring in someone else who rocks the boat and demands a larger payroll, free agent spending and instant results. It's past time to clear house.
I got no problem firing Moore. I think it's more pertinent the staff goes though.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

freedog wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:50 pm As a comparison, there is 0 chance Dayton Moore makes the Tyreek Hill trade
Yeah, he would just wait for Hill to hit free agency and receive nothing but compensatory draft picks in return when he signs somewhere else. He wouldn't be prepared to replace him immediately once he was gone, either.

I'm very sympathetic to bfa's argument about Moore's overall track record, though I think it's a little unfair to boil his whole tenure down to "two winning seasons" (and it was actually three anyway, for whatever that's worth). It's really frustrating to watch a bad team stay bad year in and year out, but any of us who watched the Chiefs in the 90s should remember how frustrating it also is to watch a good team consistently fall short. While I'd rather keep the pennants and WS title and enjoy the perennial competitiveness of a Tampa or Oakland, if I had to choose between them, I'd bank the title over racking up regular season wins that amount to nothing. Don't get me wrong, I think that after seven years (and counting) since the WS, Moore's grace period has more than run out and Sherman would be plenty justified in cleaning house at this point, but a lot of those "win or you're gone" GMs...have not actually won.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

phuqueue wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:36 am ...I think that after seven years (and counting) since the WS, Moore's grace period has more than run out and Sherman would be plenty justified in cleaning house at this point, but a lot of those "win or you're gone" GMs...have not actually won.
I think my point is that other teams that have won the World Series recently haven't given their GM so much of a grace period. No way Moore gets 7 years terrible years in St. Louis, even after winning a WS. New York. LA. SF. Wrigley. This huge amount of time just creates apathy throughout the whole organization. The signaling of a rebuild and so little progress in those years pushes away free agents, changes how you develop your young players, causes you to lose coaching talent, etc. No one wants to go to a long term rebuild team. Rebuilding just makes for bad organizations. The goal should be at least to attempt to win every season. I've painfully watched most every game over the last several years and that is not happening. It's making for a disfunctional organization top to bottom.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Wanna know what's even more depressing?

We're probably not even gonna get the #1 pick for this season either...because they changed it to a lottery draft system now. Not even that can be looked forward to.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Royals now have worst record in baseball and the Reds actually started the season 3-22. They were 3-22 on May 6th and royals will now start June 1 with worse record in MLB. They don't even have any good trade assets.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:05 pm Royals now have worst record in baseball and the Reds actually started the season 3-22. They were 3-22 on May 6th and royals will now start June 1 with worse record in MLB. They don't even have any good trade assets.
The only trade asset is Benintendi, and maybe Barlow.

Unfathomably bad not trading Merrifield in 2018, 2019 or even 2021 last year. Just horrific management.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Sitting on Benintendi right now is madness as well. Every day without a trade is lessening his value. I get having loyalties to players but letting your "morality" call the shots with a pro team is awful, this has to end.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Wondering about Merryfield's toe injury and if that came up two days before the Toronto trip because he didn't want his streak to end because he is conditional anti-vax?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Goonies wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:14 pm I don't care If someone is vaccinated or not. I am. With that said Whits remarks are incredibly stupid.
Such a terrible person to have on a team. I’m indifferent on vaccination status, but holy hell, imagine still being employed after openly shitting all over your team you work with.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:18 pm
Goonies wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:14 pm I don't care If someone is vaccinated or not. I am. With that said Whits remarks are incredibly stupid.
Such a terrible person to have on a team. I’m indifferent on vaccination status, but holy hell, imagine still being employed after openly shitting all over your team you work with.
Agreed. Most of those guys have gotta go- especially after that huge win yesterday