GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by phuqueue »

Oh I for sure think it's been smoke and mirrors so far, they definitely lose a lot more convincingly than they win, and even terrible teams can occasionally put together a little hot streak (that being said, I don't think this team is terrible, but my expectations coming in were that if they finished nearish .500 and we saw good things out of some of the younger guys suggesting that they were developing well, it would be a successful season).

The pessimistic view would be that this has been a total fluke and is likely to sputter out at any time. The optimistic view would be that they've managed to hold things together so far despite Keller being terrible, Mondesi being injured, and some of the big hitters (Dozier, Soler, Benintendi immediately come to mind) struggling, and that Mondesi will eventually come back and Keller and the hitters will (hopefully) return to form and they'll be able to keep things going (probably not at a 106-win pace, let's be reasonable, but maybe at least at a playoff-contention pace). For now I guess I'm going to lean into the optimistic view because obviously that's more fun.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Things just work out sometimes & this is a good taste of success that will hopefully fuel them in the coming seasons. I still do not think they're going to really contend in the end but they've still got some surprises up their sleeves. It's going to be fun to watch them develop the rest of the season.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, that's basically where I'm at. A playoff appearance would be a huge win relative to my expectations going into the season, which was something like, "Well, they probably won't lose 100+ games this year!"
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Escobar back.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

mgsports wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:24 pm Escobar back.
Minor League Contract though
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I did say I thought the team was winning with smoke and mirrors before, but I have to admit I didn't expect the collapse to come so rapidly and be so complete.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Is this where we say, "Well at least the rest of the central sucks too, so there's a chance..."? Heh.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I think the White Sox might be the anti-Royals in that I'm pretty sure they actually don't suck but for some reason lost a bunch of games they probably shouldn't have lost in April. I guess the wild card here though is that while the Royals' wins were probably just random variance, some of those White Sox losses might have been because Tony La Russa has no idea what he's doing anymore, so it's possible they will continue to underperform all season. I don't think any of the rest of the Central seems especially good so far though (it kinda felt like we actually outplayed Cleveland in most of that series, we just kept choking away leads and wasting scoring opportunities), so that's something, but we're suddenly in one of those stretches where it is hard for me to even visualize the Royals winning a game.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Far to early to make any judgements. Its a sreaky game. The Dodgers just lost 8 of their last ten.

I would hang 4 of our losses in this streak on our defense. Thats not going to continue.

I do not think we are a 100 win team. But we will finish above 500.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

During a game a couple weeks ago, Lefebvre mentioned, with a bit of the trademark contempt he's always had for advanced stats, that they show the Royals defense actually isn't very good. I think they had just made a good defensive play or something as he marveled that, can you believe it, they actually rank near the bottom of the league by defensive runs saved. But really, all of the defensive stats, both traditional and advanced, show the Royals defense as being somewhere between middle of the pack and downright bad. I think we've allowed them to coast on this reputation as a defense-first team, which was genuinely deserved in 2013, 2014, and 2015 (even the stats back that up), but now it's 2021, and when the stats are telling you that the defense isn't very good and the on-field result you see is the defense throwing games away, then, well, the defense is probably not very good and will continue to throw more games away.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

The defense is bad. I am hopeful it will improve. The key is getting Lopez back to 2nd and Merrifield back in the outfield. We have too many people playing out of position. My hope is based on the fact that historically the players we are putting on the field aren't this bad, so you would assume they would regress to the mean.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Well, if you're feeling optimistic, the Royals have won two of their last three. If you're feeling pessimistic, the Royals have won two of their last fourteen.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I was starting to get concerned that after being the first team to 16 wins, we were going to be the last to 17. That would have been very Royals of us.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

*Zack Greinke comes back KC*

Looks around and goes “Woooow this place got alot better since I was here in 2009”
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

The Royals' marketing department should think twice before offering up the first analogy that comes to mind in an interview:
Tony Snethen - VP of Brand Innovation wrote: If you think about kittens, they are born and just innately they know they need to go to the litter box. Well, kids around here [in KC] when they’re born, they know that Fridays you dress in red. And we didn’t really have anything like that with a 162-game season and 81 games here at home. How do you create something that the city can rally around? And so we started thinking about the idea of Bring Out the Blue and supporting the boys as they come back into town.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Sounds like Tony has never owned a kitten.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

freedog wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:34 am Royals 28th most valuable MLB team

https://www.axios.com/most-valuable-mlb ... 8d031.html
That valuation is gonna shoot way you when they move downtown
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Lol the 2 florida teams rank last while the populations of both these metros are pretty large. They should just move half of the Florida sports teams out of the State. The official sport of the state can be WWE Wrestling.

Its a failed experiment that will never work. Nobody goes to the NFL games unless the teams is good or half the fans are from the other team. I am fine with Florida just hosting Super Bowls. MLS failed once, came back and i bet it fails again, Miami FC already is already at the bottom of attendance again.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:41 am Lol the 2 florida teams rank last while the populations of both these metros are pretty large. They should just move half of the Florida sports teams out of the State. The official sport of the state can be WWE Wrestling.

Its a failed experiment that will never work. Nobody goes to the NFL games unless the teams is good or half the fans are from the other team. I am fine with Florida just hosting Super Bowls. MLS failed once, came back and i bet it fails again, Miami FC already is already at the bottom of attendance again.
nobody in LA asked for the Rams or the Chargers either, the NFL needs Florida and LA more than those places need the NFL