GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by AllThingsKC »

Tosspot wrote: As of now I have a couple of pics from last night up on the front page of my photo site...

http://www.madnessmatrix.com
I see you also got some sports shots.  How did you like doing those?

And your fireworks photos are medicore.  (Just kidding, they're fabulous as always)
KC is the way to be!
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

new camera pumpkin? nice shots !
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

schugg wrote: new camera pumpkin? nice shots !
I did!  New point and shoot, it has some pretty good special modes.  Needless to say, that was in "Fireworks" mode.  :D
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

That was a lot of fun at the game last night.  First game I went to this year but not the last.  I was really surpried at how fast the game sold out once people decided to go.  Wednesday afternoon I could get most any ticket I wanted but by Thursday we were up in the rafters for a group of 6.  We took the Royals express from Crown Center and it worked out great.  Standing room on the way out but plenty of room coming back.  I think they added another bus. Great fun seeing some many people having such a good time.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

GRID wrote: That's a great shot toss, I agree with your comments.

First off, YOU WENT TO A ROYALS GAME??? haha.

Second, they overdid the video.  I think they need to make it less like a documentary and just do some quick skyline shots, show the top attractions museums etc.  But you are right, it was bit too much "spoon feeding" that KC is an ok town.

The only problem I see is that this town needs to be spoon fed on what it offers.  This town's inferiority complex is bad, real bad, so if we can use events like this to show off KC a bit to the locals so be it.

But I would bet most of the active and Kansas Citians that are not ashamed to call themselves Kansas Citians were at that ballpark last night.  I mean, I make it to every single event like this if at all possible, I'm always there, be it a major sporting event, a major festival etc.  I think there is a core of about 50k in KC that also do this and most were all the ball park.  That's my guess anyway.

I also agree it wasn't the "best" show I have ever seen, but the best show I have seen in KC by far.  I expected more, but was not disappointed at all.

Next year, they need to shorten the slow paced pep talk about KC and do more cool graphics etc like what they do before a Royals or Brigade game and keep the dead time between the fireworks to a minimum.

We will be there next year.  It was a lot of fun.

Hah - yep, first Royals game I've been to in ages. Totally agree we need less of the silly boosterism - let's worry about substance instead of style. Not a bad night though really.
AllThingsKC wrote: I see you also got some sports shots.  How did you like doing those?

And your fireworks photos are medicore.  (Just kidding, they're fabulous as always)
Sports shots are great fun ... anything that's an excuse to actuate the shutter is fun, really.
PumpkinStalker wrote: I did!  New point and shoot, it has some pretty good special modes.  Needless to say, that was in "Fireworks" mode.   :D
Seriously? I wish my camera had a fireworks mode. If it does I'm unaware of it.
cknab1 wrote: That was a lot of fun at the game last night.  First game I went to this year but not the last.  I was really surpried at how fast the game sold out once people decided to go.  Wednesday afternoon I could get most any ticket I wanted but by Thursday we were up in the rafters for a group of 6.  We took the Royals express from Crown Center and it worked out great.  Standing room on the way out but plenty of room coming back.  I think they added another bus. Great fun seeing some many people having such a good time.
Royals Express is definitely the way to go. Last night for some hare-brained reason I took the car to Kauffman. Ugh.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

So, the Royals were down by 7 runs (10-3), and end up winning the game 11-10!

Thank you, National League!
KC is the way to be!
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Wow.. could not believe the score!!!

I gave up after Davies returned to his regular form and we were down by Five... Euro Championship Game was much more interesting.. then after a cat nap and the end of Spain and Italy, we were suddenly tied 10-10..

Great win.. maybe this is the the type of win that can give us more than just confidence, but a WINNING ATTITUDE. 
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Does anyone else agree that this team has much more swagger with guys like Guillen and Soria???

I mean, i like nice ballplayers like DeJesus and Teahen, but it's nice to have a stud in Soria, and a bad ass like Guillen who won't stand for losing.

That's the one thing that I think the Royals did not have with our "core" players... almost like they accepted losing and were content, but I don't get that feeling anymore. 
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I did this for the Cardinals series.  We swept them.

I did this for the Giants series.  We took the series, 2-1.

So, even though the Rockies are one my 2 favorite NL teams, I'm going to do this anyway...

KC is the way to be!
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

Ha Ha!  Good stuff!  Let's beat the Rox!
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

phuqueue wrote: Why?  They've got a much better record and may even make the playoffs, but it seems pretty clear that they're doing it against inferior competition.  They've had a better run the past few years, but against consistently inferior competition (the Royals are 33-27 against the NL the past four years, 182-314 against the AL; since 2005, the AL is 292-213 in interleague play).  Given all that, I would probably put less stock in the Cardinals' winning more games overall than I would in the head-to-head matchup, especially if the Royals end up winning the series in KC too to go 5-1 or even 6-0 against the Cards.  The Cardinals have the more illustrious history, no question, but the "better" team is not static, and in any given year when the Royals can take four or more games of a six game series, it seems reasonable to acknowledge them as the better team that year, just as the Cardinals are undoubtedly the better team when they take the season series.  I guess the obvious counterargument is that six games is a pretty small sample size,
Hey, I'm on the same page re: the Cards being over-rated due to leagues.  But still, I bet we'd finish behind them if we shared a division.  They have a better team IMO.  And most of this decade, it was 25 games better.

but the 60 games the Royals have against the NL and the more than 500 games the AL has against the NL are not small sample sizes and clearly bear out that the NL hasn't been as strong as the AL for the past several seasons (not that I have to explain that to you -- you're the number one cheerleader for traveling back in time to 1997 and changing leagues).
Milwaukee has discussed coming back.  KC needs to move to the NL and move now - no matter what KCMax says about the leagues being the same.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

Royals Win!!!

10-3 vs. the National League so far this year.
Pendergast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pendergast »

Huge game for the Royals, Bannister looked shaky there for awhile.  Guillen does it again, and so does Aviles.  Good to see Teahan rock one out. 

Player of the game has to be Ross Gload though.  He needed that homer!  The dugout wouldn't congratulate him!
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

It's good to see the Royals bats come alive in general.

Ross Gload got some love when he came back out of the tunnel!  :)

The only bad thing about tonight is there were only about 12k people there.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Yes. around 12k tonight

Even during the lean years.. well pretty much since I've been a Royals fan, it seems like they drew at least 15,000 per, nowadays though, it's seems like on weekdays we are only drawing about 12-13k.

Maybe they are not counting number of tickets sold.. but just the actual gate attendance???

BTW, great game tonight.. god I love Jose Guillen... talks smack and backs it up.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Stupid Turd Birds!  They let another loss get away from them!!!
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

lower season ticket base...that's the reason for 12k instead of 15k on a weeknight against a boring opponent.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

The Royals have the best interleague record at 10-3.

And so far, the AL leads the NL 99-72.
KC is the way to be!
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I love this dominance of the National League, but wouldn't you say historically we are an American League city?  The AAA Kansas City Blues, who were the AL Yankees farm club from 1936 until 1955.  The Kansas City Athletics, from 1956-1968, an AL team.  The Kansas City Royals, from 1969-Present, an AL team.  There is even speculation that the Western Association Team called the Kansas City Blues, which only existed for 3 years (1898-1900), essentially became the Washington Senators in 1901 with the founding of the American League, who of course later became the AL Minnesota Twins...

This last item is from Wikipedia, but it is interesting...
The Kansas City Blues baseball team of the Western League played three seasons in Kansas City from 1898-1900. As the team's manager, Jim Manning, and a number of players from its 1900 roster played in Washington, D.C. in the 1901 season, it is generally believed that the franchise was transferred to Washington and became the Washington Senators (first team) in 1901 when the Western League became the American League and declared itself a Major League. However, the history of the beginning of the American League is unclear and the Blues may have simply been folded to make room for the Senators. In any event, the Senators later moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota and became the Minnesota Twins in 1961.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Le ... aseball%29
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: lower season ticket base...that's the reason for 12k instead of 15k on a weeknight against a boring opponent.
ARe you buying any - or are you waiting until they become a winner?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin