Downtown improvement!

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
TagoMago
Pad site
Pad site

Downtown improvement!

Post by TagoMago »

DTKC is about to improve because I am moving there!  :D :D
so, I am only one person, but what can I do to improve downtown?  Here is my plan and I am looking for suggestions....
1) Spend money
    I will support downtown restaurants, bars and shops (often) and bring friends  (I already do this but I will kick it up a notch since I will be eating/shopping in DT almost exclusively)
    Any suggestions for out of the way/struggling DT business that I could support?  eg: I went to the Ethiopian joint in the rivermarket (blue nile?) and was the only table there on a Saturday night!  I will make a point of going there...
2)  I will single-handedly make the streets more vibrant by walking my dog daily (and of course picking up after her)  ok, this isn't much but every little bit helps...
3)  I will join the DNA and get involved

...there goes the neighborhood!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Downtown improvement!

Post by KCPowercat »

welcome...can't wait to see you around the old hood.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

Can you get DNA to update their website ?
If the website can't be updated, what would that tell you about the association ?

I also went to the Blue Nile for lunch with my family in the summer time and there were 2 tables there besides ours.

Can you move the bonding companies and halfway houses to the north of the river ?

Make sure the CDIC never leaves.

Can you make that gas station alittle more prettier in downtown ?
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Paintfumes wrote: Can you get DNA to update their website ?
If the website can't be updated, what would that tell you about the association ?
Laziness
TagoMago
Pad site
Pad site

Post by TagoMago »

[quote][/quote]Can you get DNA to update their website ?
I will ask...

I also went to the Blue Nile for lunch with my family in the summer time and there were 2 tables there besides ours.
I liked the food there...

Can you move the bonding companies and halfway houses to the north of the river ?
done and done

Make sure the CDIC never leaves.
sure

Can you make that gas station alittle more prettier in downtown ?
which one?  I guess I can start with the one in the north loop (by Oggi furniture)  I will buy a broom and a case of red bull

TagoMago: making downtown gas stations more prettier, one Valero parking lot at a time!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Welcome to the neighborhood. We'll have to immorally get some beer, sometime.
TagoMago
Pad site
Pad site

Post by TagoMago »

Thanks!  I tend to do most things amorally but I can make an exception and get a beer immorally...when in Rome

TagoMago: "getting drunk on Thursday so you don't have to"
                or "supporting local  purveyors of sin and vice one Guinness at a time"
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

Since they washed and cleaned the Jackson County Courthouse across the street from City Hall. Can you have the same company wash and clean the outside of City Hall.
Thanks for moving the vendors behind Jackson County Courthouse.

What would Kansas City do without you ?

You da man Mago.
Last edited by Paintfumes on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

Knock some sense into the folks at the courthouse who didn't put in a garage to pair with their building.  All of that money and the people working there still have to walk across the street and elevate to the top floors (where there is no roof), scrape the ice from the windows, and then decend for the next 15 minutes.  Plus, they have to pay for it!  Building is looking pretty though. :D 
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

imagine someone having to walk across a street in kc.  :shock:
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

warwickland wrote: imagine someone having to walk across a street in kc.  :shock:
Or, *GASP*, a couple of blocks!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Hell, I walk further in my suburban office parking lot than the distance from the garage to the courthouse.  The garage even has an elevator to take your ass upstairs in the event that you are too lazy to hual it yourself.  Give me a break. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It's like the letter to the editor in todays Star.  Somebody from Olathe said they would never again come downtown or vote yes on a bi-state issue because they could not find a place to park at the Flower Lawn and Garden Show.  Wanna bet they did not look further than a few blocks away?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Yeah, I read that too.  Too bad.

I wish there were more parking signs downtown for folks from Olathe so they COULD have a better experience.  At least an overall publicity plan to advertise what parking there is.

I was DT that weekend while that was going on and found a spot in Quality Hill, two blocks away from Bartle.  For free.

Getting frustraited because you don't know the area is natural, but is no excuse to say "I'm never going there again!"  That driver needs to grow up.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Kard wrote: Getting frustraited because you don't know the area is natural, but is no excuse to say "I'm never going there again!"  That driver needs to grow up.
When all you know is surface lots, that's the attitude.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

bahua wrote: When all you know is surface lots, that's the attitude.
That is a good point - I imagine their are plenty of people living in this metro who just don't have the experience with things like parking garages, and parrallel parking on the street.  It's possible to go through your entire life living in Olathe or Blue Springs without ever encountering a need to engage in either - at least not with any sort of remote regularity.  Not to say it isn't pathetic - but I have no doubt that there aren't thousands of people in this city who aren't comfortable doing this, even if they do know where to find it. 
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

bahua wrote: Or, *GASP*, a couple of blocks!
LOL...

"oh, dear lord, where would we park if the royals built a dt stadium, honey?" 
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

StL_Dan wrote: "oh, dear lord, where would we park if the royals built a dt stadium, honey?" 
I actually have heard tons of people say that. "Where will everybody park!?"
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

bahua wrote: I actually have heard tons of people say that. "Where will everybody park!?"
jack harry said it on kietzmans show on wednesday, harry was saying the owners needed to put in more, kietz said, well, really, it should be around 30% and the stadium downtown, and harry immediately said, "well, for one, where is everyone going to park?"

i am against a dt stadium, obviusly, however, that mentality, of parking, needs to just die.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

kcdcchef wrote: i am against a dt stadium, obviusly, however, that mentality, of parking, needs to just die.
The problem that many suburban people have with urban parking is that if they don't see visible parking spots in a big lot, they generally just give up.