Moving to KC in 2007

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
Moving2KC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Moving to KC in 2007

Post by Moving2KC »

We are planning to relocate from Omaha to KC next year.  It's a company move.  My wife and I have 2 kids, a 7 year old daughter and a 4 year old son.  We are looking for a good neighborhood in the area around the Sprint Campus...maybe within 2-5 miles. 

Any ideas?  Thanks
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Moving to KC in 2007

Post by ComandanteCero »

Sounds like you're looking for a suburb with good schools.... if you get anything around the Sprint Center you'll have that settled. 

Now, if you were looking for an urban neighborhood with character and charm (and willing to send your kids to private school), then we might get an interesting discussion going....  :lol:
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Umm, what the commendant said. In a BIG way!

I've grown to really like this forum. Talk about neighborhood activists!!! Pretty cool I think.
For the record, I didn't know there were "good" neighborhoods in south Johnson County.

Frankly, that Flautist headline has got me pretty spooked!  :shock: :shock:

www.scarrittneighborhood.org

Sportster
...shameless self promotion
Last edited by Sportster on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

what company brings you here?
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Try east of Leawood, KS

If you want a great neighborhood, try Downtown. However it's 10-12 miles from Sprint Campus... The Plaza is closer at 8 miles...

I just hope you don't choose Johnson County  :|

Resist the Dark Side!
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

How much are you looking to spend?
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

^^^that's what I wanted to say!!  south plaza and brookside are good, just a little pricey. you can also look into westport and valentine areas as well.  IF you want suburban,  I'm sure your company can help you there, most do.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

^^^^^^

Sportster
...and we're off!  8) 8)
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

Sportster wrote: ^^^^^^

Sportster
...and we're off!  8) 8)
?    your point? :-k
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Johnson County is a baaaad neighborhood. As long as your about 5-6 miles from Downtown and not in JoCo... Your ok ;)
Moving2KC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Moving2KC »

Interesting replies

I'm not working for or at Sprint.  We came down & looked around and liked the area near there.  I hate to burst any bubbles, but while we did like the plaza, downtown(city market is very nice), and the older neighborhoods, we sadly are confirmed suburbanites.  We prefer a neighborhood with kids our kids age.  If it's any comfort, we'll bring the kids into the city from time to time and show them people who actually look differently than them.

As far as price, we are looking in the 250-350 range.  What we'd like is a 2 story, 4 bed, 2.5+ bath house.  
Moving2KC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Moving2KC »

KCDevin wrote: Johnson County is a baaaad neighborhood. As long as your about 5-6 miles from Downtown and not in JoCo... Your ok ;)
The entire county is bad? 
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Then southwestern Jackson County is for you...

Moving2KC... Oh yes, it is very bad...
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

Moving2KC wrote: Interesting replies

I'm not working for or at Sprint.  We came down & looked around and liked the area near there.  I hate to burst any bubbles, but while we did like the plaza, downtown(city market is very nice), and the older neighborhoods, we sadly are confirmed suburbanites.  We prefer a neighborhood with kids our kids age.  If it's any comfort, we'll bring the kids into the city from time to time and show them people who actually look differently than them.

As far as price, we are looking in the 250-350 range.  What we'd like is a 2 story, 4 bed, 2.5+ bath house.  
:lol:  look diffrently than them?
Last edited by schugg on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

schugg, that could have been taken offensively.

Moving2KC... you said:
"I'm not working for or at Sprint.  We came down & looked around and liked the area near there."

Around here that could almost be considered blasphemy, but it's ok for you to say that since your new and don't know the area. ;)
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

schugg wrote: ?    your point? :-k
No, no, let me 'splain myself.

This is an excellent forum and what I like about it is the pride us urban dwellers take in the neighborhoods in which we live. This thread had more posts in 15 minutes than most threads have in 4 days.
Just look at it. We've already got Brookside, midtown and Historic Northeast in on the fray. City Hall couldn't WISH this kind of response about the city's urban core.

Freakin excellent. I'm not throwin stones, I just love the activism on this board and the pride in the respective neighborhoods in which we live. Brookside, Midtown, Northeast, North End. We love where we live and all, secretly or otherwise, wish realtors woiuld steer more people to the urban core rather than the easy and oh so predicted selling the suburbs - more specifically, the "evil empire".

Sportster
...i live in northeast - historic northeast.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

^^^^^

Sportster
...keerist what a sap :shock: 8)
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

Moving2KC wrote: The entire county is bad? 
You'll like it where you looked. That's the place to go. It's called Overland Park not Kansas City. I'm pretty sure you dont' mind traffic.  May God be with you with your move.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Don't listen to paintfumes... (name)

That county is very very bad... It's the evilest most terrible part of this city.
Moving2KC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Moving2KC »

Ok, you've confused an Omahan.  You get the prize.

Is Johnson County bad because it's outside the city limits of Kansas City, Missouri?  Or is it that it is suburban?  Let's get specific here.

If I've made myself a target of "Die, yuppie-suburban-suv-and-minivan-drivin-Chilis-eatin-scum!", then thanks anyway & show me the door. 

I've lived in all kinds of cities, both larger and smaller than Kansas City, so I'm sure I can handle whatever traffic there is.  I'm also confident I can find Arthur Bryants, Gates, Jacks Stack, Stevenson's, etc.  I've had Dallas and Memphis BBQ, and KC's isn't bad. 

What I meant by that comment about showing our kids people who look different is that we plan to actually leave our subdivision from time to time to go downtown, etc. 

What I'd like to know is is there a neighborhood within 5 miles of Sprint's campus that you'd reccomend?  If not, give me a reason other than "JoCo sucks".  Anyone here older than 17?

Come on you guys.  This is your chance to help a newcomer.