Fixing the KC Zoo (ongoing)

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Fixing the KC Zoo (ongoing)

Post by Major KC Fan »

Lots of excitement at the zoo for the aquarium to open. This is a major enhancement of the zoo and really helps to tie Africa and “topside” together at the elephant habitat. I do wish one of the old bear pits could have been saved as an educational aspect of zoological history.

Recently visited the Toronto Zoo after a first visit about 30 years ago and must say that the KC Zoo & Aquarium really is the better of the two. Both are similar in that they are expansive and require a great deal of walking, though the strategic use of the tram & Sky Safari can help to reduce footsteps in KC. 30 years ago we were very impressed by the Toronto Zoo and expected to be wowed again on this visit. However, for a metro of over 6 million we were somewhat disappointed in their facilities and upkeep in general.
I’ve visited zoos all over the US as well as several in Europe (London & Dublin) and I would place KC in the upper 2nd tier after zoos like San Diego and Omaha.

I don’t have specific info on further enhancements at the KC Zoo & Aquarium but I do know that there are improvements planned after the new aquarium and renovated sea lion pool are completed.

CAN WE PLEASE CHANGE THE NAME OF THE THREAD TO “Enhancing the KC Zoo”? I really think “fixing” implies big problems and it really doesn’t apply to the current state of the KC Zoo & Aquarium.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Major KC Fan wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:11 pm I don’t have specific info on further enhancements at the KC Zoo & Aquarium but I do know that there are improvements planned after the new aquarium and renovated sea lion pool are completed.

CAN WE PLEASE CHANGE THE NAME OF THE THREAD TO “Enhancing the KC Zoo”? I really think “fixing” implies big problems and it really doesn’t apply to the current state of the KC Zoo & Aquarium.
I saw an old master plan (circa 2012) online that included the removal of the African forest exhibit and moving the species into general Africa exhibit and building a new gorilla exhibit near the boat houses. I know this was on the wish list of Wisthoff when he was director (he thought the Forest exhibit was an out-of-the-way appendage that was skipped by many zoo visitors). The forest exhibit is starting to show its age and I am wondering if that still isn't the next move for the zoo. I know there was also a plan for Predator Canyon around where the ape house once stood. I suspect the leopards in the current forest exhibit would go there. The plan also showed a remodeled entrance to the Africa exhibit where the village is now with a flamingo exhibit where the shuttles dock. But with a new director, I have no idea how closely that master plan is being followed.

I was out at the zoo at the end of July and the public space created between the Elephant exhibit and the Aquarium will be very nice. Kind of reminded me of some of the European zoos.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

You’re right on all of the plans you cited and the desire to move the African forest. I wonder if that isn’t still planned since the walkways in most areas have been replaced and improved while the forest area is in bad shape. They also closed the refreshments area at the forest entry area long ago. Personally I wish they would keep this area and improve it. However, I know that the Blue River is encroaching on the area and it would be a hefty cost to stabilize the river in that area.

I’ve been swinging on the bridge over the Blue for more years than I care to reveal and would really like to see it kept as an active zoo visitor area. The Predator Canyon project you mentioned might still be a go in the next phase of improvements as it would help to tie Asia/Australia to the other areas of “topside”. The flamingoes are actually Chilean flamingoes and should either be included in a new South American focused area or maybe used to better link the Tropics (old original zoo building) and the new aquarium. Of course, being a zoo freak I’d love for an African flamingo habitat to be built as indicated, where the trams drop off passengers to the African market area. Oh well, one can wish…..
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Major KC Fan wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:40 pm You’re right on all of the plans you cited and the desire to move the African forest. I wonder if that isn’t still planned since the walkways in most areas have been replaced and improved while the forest area is in bad shape. They also closed the refreshments area at the forest entry area long ago. Personally I wish they would keep this area and improve it. However, I know that the Blue River is encroaching on the area and it would be a hefty cost to stabilize the river in that area.

I’ve been swinging on the bridge over the Blue for more years than I care to reveal and would really like to see it kept as an active zoo visitor area. The Predator Canyon project you mentioned might still be a go in the next phase of improvements as it would help to tie Asia/Australia to the other areas of “topside”. The flamingoes are actually Chilean flamingoes and should either be included in a new South American focused area or maybe used to better link the Tropics (old original zoo building) and the new aquarium. Of course, being a zoo freak I’d love for an African flamingo habitat to be built as indicated, where the trams drop off passengers to the African market area. Oh well, one can wish…..
I know Wisthoff was never a fan of the continents theme and thought it was too limiting. The leopards in the Africa Forest exhibit are actually Amur Leopards and not an African species so I suspect the Flamingos being South American are not problematic. I rather like the continents theme but the KC Zoo would need to add 5 new continents to house all of their animals in the proper continent. I can see the issues. I'd also think the KC Zoo needs to obtain more North American species and particularly species native to pre-European Missouri (white tail deer, Bison, Mountain Lion, Elk, black bear, Wolf, Wild Turkey, bobcat etc...)
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I still will hype Beautyfromashes idea to include local animals in exhibits, as possibly part of an Ozark or Midwest subsection. Giving prominence to local species can do wonders to captivate kids visiting who can then associate with them outside of the zoo experience, and also helps to drive relevance for local sustainability efforts.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

I agree with the need to rep our own local ecology- that would be North America and it would fit nicely between the elephant and Australian areas, east of the red barn, sting rays and penguin habitats. Or it could flow from the North American otters, polar bear and sea lion areas north and west up to the orangutans/Asia area.
In regards to the Amur leopard being placed in Africa, that’s more because the African leopard habitat was available and SSP (Species Survival Plan) took advantage of the space. SSP has a great deal of influence on species movement in AZA certified zoo and aquarium members while also ensuring that facilities and organizations are following the best practices and chances to save species. That’s why Nikita, the original male inhabitant of the polar bear habitat was moved to North Carolina (for breeding purposes). (It didn’t work out there either).
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Major KC Fan wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:11 pm Lots of excitement at the zoo for the aquarium to open. This is a major enhancement of the zoo and really helps to tie Africa and “topside” together at the elephant habitat. I do wish one of the old bear pits could have been saved as an educational aspect of zoological history.

Recently visited the Toronto Zoo after a first visit about 30 years ago and must say that the KC Zoo & Aquarium really is the better of the two. Both are similar in that they are expansive and require a great deal of walking, though the strategic use of the tram & Sky Safari can help to reduce footsteps in KC. 30 years ago we were very impressed by the Toronto Zoo and expected to be wowed again on this visit. However, for a metro of over 6 million we were somewhat disappointed in their facilities and upkeep in general.
I’ve visited zoos all over the US as well as several in Europe (London & Dublin) and I would place KC in the upper 2nd tier after zoos like San Diego and Omaha.

I don’t have specific info on further enhancements at the KC Zoo & Aquarium but I do know that there are improvements planned after the new aquarium and renovated sea lion pool are completed.

The KC Zoo now is easily a top ten zoo in the country. With the new aquarium, it might jump into the top five. Amazing.

I have been to a lot of zoos. Just visited three last month in Australia to add to my list. The KC Zoo is right with them if not better. The KC Zoo is definitely better than the National Zoo here in DC which is kind of sad. The Baltimore Zoo really sucks. KC has really built a nice Zoo. It's amazing what proper regional funding can do.

Just 20 years ago, that zoo was about to close it was so bad and probably ranked 50th in the country.

They do need to build the new ape house and and replace the sea lion theater, but I'm sure they have plenty of projects in the works. It's just too bad they can't re-open the IMAX there.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I can’t remember who floated the idea, but a partnership with Deanna Rose over in OP could help bring Johnson County funding into the mix. With a step like that, I could see KC being moved up past Omaha once funding has materialized and is out to use. The Zoo has more than enough land to pull off major expansions as well.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:34 am I can’t remember who floated the idea, but a partnership with Deanna Rose over in OP could help bring Johnson County funding into the mix. With a step like that, I could see KC being moved up past Omaha once funding has materialized and is out to use. The Zoo has more than enough land to pull off major expansions as well.
As a Johnson County resident, I'd vote for a measure to bring us into zoo funding (with or without a Deanna Rose plowback).

Swope Park is a wonderful park with the centrality, expanse, topography and mature vegetation to pull of the needs of a zoo and there is room for a major expansion. I also think, however, they need to make better use of the space they have. Just too many dead zones. Moving the species out of the Africa Forest Exhibit and putting them back in Africa proper will help some of the Africa dead zones (the big dead zone is between the village and the Baboon Exhibit). The other big dead zone is between Australia and the red barn. Like KC in general, the zoo needs some infill.

There is a huge area for expansion just north of the Tiger/Orangutan area that could be exploited for North American or Missouri/Kansas exhibit representing prairie and forests of the mid-continent. And that area isn't in the blue river floodplain.

A note about Swope Park. I've noted a general decay in the cleanliness and upkeep of the park outside the zoo/starlight area. I was very disappointed to see dumping along Gregory boulevard east of Lake of the Woods. There was a sofa and several other furniture items dumped along the side of the road - I hope crews get out regularly and remove that crap.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

The sea lion pool is in the midst of a major renovation and should be finished in the fall. It involves making it ADA compliant, expanded seating and most importantly an expansion of the indoor holding area. I had the opportunity to see the behind the scenes area and it reflected the era in which it was originally constructed. I do wish it included some naturalistic wave action like in the wild, but will still be a major improvement.
You can access the plans in the latest Expedition newsletter (3rd qtr 2023 edition).
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Forgot to add that I too wish JOCO residents could get an opportunity to vote for KC Zoo/ Deanna Rose support. I’d be on board. I know Platte County residents did vote for the tax at the same time Jackson & Clay Counties did but their county commissioners wouldn’t implement the tax. Could they still do so?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Has a wild kingdom style Zoo theme park been considered?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

GRID wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:54 am It's just too bad they can't re-open the IMAX there.
The IMAX there was a true IMAX as well, which makes its closing even worse. There's only a handful of true IMAX screens left, probably less than 10, in the entire country.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

im2kull wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:27 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:54 am It's just too bad they can't re-open the IMAX there.
The IMAX there was a true IMAX as well, which makes its closing even worse. There's only a handful of true IMAX screens left, probably less than 10, in the entire country.
How do you define true IMAX? Film? Most IMAX theaters have been upgraded to direct view, laser, DLP projectors.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Where was the IMAX? That was before my time.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Eon Blue wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:56 pm
Where was the IMAX? That was before my time.
In the present-day exit building. Just past the souvenir shop on the way out. There was once some pretty cool stuff in there including a huge aquarium filled with Missouri fish.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0075571 ... ?entry=ttu
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Digital IMAX is not true IMAX it's about 14,000 pixels away from 70mm IMAX which will have an 18K resolution.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:48 pm
im2kull wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:27 pm
How do you define true IMAX? Film? Most IMAX theaters have been upgraded to direct view, laser, DLP projectors.
By screen size and with 70mm film projection or digital equivalent to 70mm (Which doesn't actually exist.. so 70mm or bust). But, screen size alone makes true IMAX something almost nowhere has. If the screen isn't 6 1/2 storeys tall, it's not an IMAX. Most "Digital IMAX" screens are tiny 40-60 footers in width. Real IMAX is much larger. It makes a massive difference in the experience.

The IMAX name has turned into a marketing gimmick for 90% of theaters.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Went to see the new aquarium at the zoo today. Nicely done. It's not particularly large but what it does, it does well. I would have liked to have seen a North America freshwater habitat as well but it's still very good (and for whatever reasons, the KC zoo has never really focused on local environments). I was skeptical about the aquarium thinking the zoo should concentrate on getting more species and infilling some of the areas but it is a pretty great addition to the zoo experience.

You need a reservation for the aquarium. We scheduled our time early in the morning which is what everyone else did too. By early afternoon the place was practically empty and would be a much better time to go through the aquarium.