OFFICIAL: The Legends at Village West

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL: The Legends at Village West

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:10 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:07 pm I didn't say Nashville was better. KCMO is a much more charming and higher quality place to live with more legacy big city amenities. I'm just seeing people try to talk down what is happening there and that's just silly. It may end up like Houston or Atlanta etc, but it's growing and will likely soon leave KC in its rear view mirror as far as being a relevant metro in this country.

That doesn't mean it will be better. I would choose KC over places like Houston and Atlanta in a heartbeat.
But it is a fact that Nashville, like almost every "fastest" growing metro, is gaining mostly through suburban growth
Um you can say that about just about any city in America. Including KC. Most growth in American cities has and will continue to be suburban.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:19 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:10 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:07 pm I didn't say Nashville was better. KCMO is a much more charming and higher quality place to live with more legacy big city amenities. I'm just seeing people try to talk down what is happening there and that's just silly. It may end up like Houston or Atlanta etc, but it's growing and will likely soon leave KC in its rear view mirror as far as being a relevant metro in this country.

That doesn't mean it will be better. I would choose KC over places like Houston and Atlanta in a heartbeat.
But it is a fact that Nashville, like almost every "fastest" growing metro, is gaining mostly through suburban growth
Um you can say that about just about any city in America. Including KC. Most growth in American cities has and will continue to be suburban.
Nashville metro grew 25% and the city grew 14%. KC metro grew 9.3% and the city grew 10.7%. What I'm saying how fast the city grows relative to the metro.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

come on. 80% of the city of KCMO is suburban.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Houston “left behind” a lot of cities with way better urbanism. Again, economic success and good urbanism are not very closely tied together. Especially true on a global scale
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:45 pm come on. 80% of the city of KCMO is suburban.
Nashville city and county merged so similar boat
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

MidtownCat wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:05 pm Walked the Legends shopping district for the first time in quite a while and was shocked at how much the property on the whole has deteriorated. Trash everywhere and overall condition is in some pretty rough shape. Hopefully, they have some capital improvements dollars socked away because it needs a facelift badly.
I don't think I've said it on here, but I've been complaining about this for a while. The big fountain by AMC, which was installed to have programmable shows, hasn't worked at more than a trickle (and I hear that it may be off now) for YEARS, landscaping has been a mess since long before covid, sidewalks have been cracked since long before covid, tenant sings have had missing or broken letters, awnings are in bad shape, trash is everywhere, the bathrooms don't get cleaned anymore, and it's just depressing. I don't go there anymore because I feel like the owners don't actually want clientele.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

empires228 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:00 pm
MidtownCat wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:05 pm Walked the Legends shopping district for the first time in quite a while and was shocked at how much the property on the whole has deteriorated. Trash everywhere and overall condition is in some pretty rough shape. Hopefully, they have some capital improvements dollars socked away because it needs a facelift badly.
I don't think I've said it on here, but I've been complaining about this for a while. The big fountain by AMC, which was installed to have programmable shows, hasn't worked at more than a trickle (and I hear that it may be off now) for YEARS, landscaping has been a mess since long before covid, sidewalks have been cracked since long before covid, tenant sings have had missing or broken letters, awnings are in bad shape, trash is everywhere, the bathrooms don't get cleaned anymore, and it's just depressing. I don't go there anymore because I feel like the owners don't actually want clientele.
Next step would be to fill in the fountain and "landscape" it. And I wonder what percentage of the average shoppers even knows what the title "The Legends" refers to or what the statues are all about. It's an outlet mall that started out as a higher-than-normal-quality outdoor center; are the tenants paying enough to really maintain that infrastructure?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It's an outlet mall. It literally has a 15-20 year shelf life. The owners will be back soon asking KCK for STAR bond money or something similar to rebuild it and KCK will hand it over.

KCK is still a freaking joke.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

mistervinix wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:59 am
Next step would be to fill in the fountain and "landscape" it. And I wonder what percentage of the average shoppers even knows what the title "The Legends" refers to or what the statues are all about. It's an outlet mall that started out as a higher-than-normal-quality outdoor center; are the tenants paying enough to really maintain that infrastructure?
They’ve landed stores like Hollister (closed at several other metro retail centers), Sephora, and a few other good lands lately. You’d think that would be enough… most stores out there aren’t outlets anymore and haven’t been for a while. A few like Ann Taylor, Gap, Eddie Bauer, J. Crew, and Helzberg still are, but the aforementioned Hollister and Sephora aren’t and neither are H&M, Forever 21, American Eagle, PacSun, or Aeropostale, though many of them opened as outlet stores. I know quite a few people in Lawrence and Topeka that go to legends a few times a month and it’s the primary shopping center for Leavenworth County as well. They’re obviously not going to Zona Rosa these days by the looks of it. I was in a tour group with a few families from Lansing 11 years ago and they hated the Legends and went to Zona for everything. Now if you go to Legends most of the cars are from outside of WyCo. I’d like to know what sales of the mall are and if Furniture Mall and Cabela’s have been able to maintain strong sales. When Cabela’s opened they practically had no competition. I haven’t been in there in years to know if it’s looking any better than the very tired-looking Bass Pro in Independence.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Mark McKee, CEO of the Kansas City Monarchs indicating some stadium updates to Legends Field on the way. Announcement to come in the next few months
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:51 am Mark McKee, CEO of the Kansas City Monarchs indicating some stadium updates to Legends Field on the way. Announcement to come in the next few months
I don’t think there have been any updates since it was built really, so this’ll be exciting!