Pendelton Heights question

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Pendelton Heights question

Post by mean »

I thought about putting this in the other PH thread, but it's already 10 pages and this isn't exactly on-topic with the conversation going on there. So here's a new thread.

I'm going to be looking at a house on Olive, at 218 Olive. I'm a little concerned, though, since it's been on the market for five months or so; I was wondering, do any of the several PH neighbors on or near Olive know anything about this property? Anyone know the previous owners, did they take care of it, mention any problems, etc?

Any info is appreciated!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Pendelton Heights question

Post by KCRealtor »

mean wrote: I thought about putting this in the other PH thread, but it's already 10 pages and this isn't exactly on-topic with the conversation going on there. So here's a new thread.

I'm going to be looking at a house on Olive, at 218 Olive. I'm a little concerned, though, since it's been on the market for five months or so; I was wondering, do any of the several PH neighbors on or near Olive know anything about this property? Anyone know the previous owners, did they take care of it, mention any problems, etc?

Any info is appreciated!
I could be mistaken, but I think a Realtor with Victor Ross owned it.  However, tax records show that Central bank owns it now.  You will need to have your Realtor look into it...more than just asking the listing agent.  If it doesn't fit the bill for you...let me know and I'll round up a few for you to look at...as a friendly assist.  Not too many out there though whereas most have already sold.  Olive is a good street with a lot of good things happening.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Fortunately, my sis is an agent so naturally I asked her to look into it. I guess the house just went into foreclosure, but I'm still wondering why it hasn't sold. Apparently it's full of trash, but who cares about that? Unless it's rotten food or something.  :?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Three words: Indian burial ground.

I wouldn't worry about it.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Northeast News did a feature on it few months back, maybe in 2004. The present owner did a bunch of stuff to it to bring it up to speed. It had been "cut up" alot, rooms opened up (which I'm not a fan of but that's a judgement call) but overall it was a descent home.
Yoiu might call the Northeast News to see if they still have it. Olive is a good street from Indep N. to St. John. Good neighbors and a good neighborhood association.

I'm not real fond of the listing agent though.

Sportster
...solid house, good street - all systems are go!
Last edited by Sportster on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Thanks, Sportster, you da man. Anything you can dig up is greatly appreciated.

Is Yuri the listing agent?
KCAppraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCAppraiser »

Yes Yuri is the agent.  If you are looking for something a little different check out 2110 Elma.  It is possibly a converted fire station.  $119000.  Walter Guth is the listing agent.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Looks like March 17th, 2003 is the N.E. News edition that had the home featured. Walter Guth was the listing agent then. Article says  it was wired for home theater and was completely updated from top to bottom.
If you call their office of the Northeast News, they'll fax it to you.

Sportster
...doin my best
Last edited by Sportster on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

KCAppraiser wrote: Yes Yuri is the agent.  If you are looking for something a little different check out 2110 Elma.  It is possibly a converted fire station.  $119000.  Walter Guth is the listing agent.
\

Yes, I have been in this one...owned by a fellow by the name of John. John is a good guy with great intentions in his work.  While the restoration of the property is not historic, it is still very nice.  It would be a good fit for someone who wants no yard maintenance and loves a garage.  As an old station it it has an enormous street level garage that would likely hold 5 or more cars.  Above that is a two bedroom space that has a largely open and modern plan.  A very unusual piece of property and I think it is very well priced.  Would be a smart fit for a condo person, but without the HOA dues.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'll be looking at the houses on Olive and Elma tomorrow around noon. The one on Olive is apparently quite a lot larger, but I'll have to judge when I see them. Anyway, I really appreciate all the assistance!
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

mean wrote: I'll be looking at the houses on Olive and Elma tomorrow around noon. The one on Olive is apparently quite a lot larger, but I'll have to judge when I see them. Anyway, I really appreciate all the assistance!
Might want to review 316 wabash as well.  It is a modern/contemp raised ranch.  Not as much character as most, but in super condition.  507 Olive will go on market in March...3500sf victorian....145,000ish I think. 
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

Pendleton Heights neighborhood assoc. meeting is tonight, 7 o-clock at Scuola Vita Nuova, corner of Wabash and Indep. Blvd.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Woah, 3500 SF!? Is 507 Olive in pretty good shape? When in March? :)
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

mean wrote: Woah, 3500 SF!? Is 507 Olive in pretty good shape? When in March? :)
I think we are talking mid-march ish, but you could see it sooner if you wanted.  My friends are really nice and are only selling due to a divorce.  In fact, one of them is already making plans for a future elsewhere in Pendlton Heights...House is just too big for only him...and the divorce thing...yuck.  Yes, pretty good shape.  Most of the homes in the 500 block of Olive are circa 3500 sf and, those that are completely finished are appraising near 225,000.  507 offers offstreet parking(very rare) and lots of original woodwork and hardwood floors(in good shape).  Biggest hurdle is the exterior.  The early 1900s was not good to this and most homes in the area.  One of the former owners put those asbestos type siding things over the original shingle siding(the home is a shingle-type victorian with Gothic influence).  The owners are pricing it to sell so it is a good value.  The home has 3 finished floors and a full basement.  Perhaps the best thing is that the home doesn't have strange sags from settlement...the lines are straight and solid!  Obviously there is work to be done with a price near 150,000 ,but the value is solid for someone wanting to finish the redo.  Most certainly is a habitable space.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Well, I'm definitely interested in seeing it whenever. If you would like to set something up, I'll get you the contact info.
kid a
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kid a »

mean wrote: Well, I'm definitely interested in seeing it whenever. If you would like to set something up, I'll get you the contact info.
hey mean- if you don't by chance find anything in pendelton heights, my wife and i are putting our 1915 shirtwaist on the market next month.
it is a 2400 sq ft house including a finished 3rd floor. if you are an artist, it makes an incredible studio. the kitchen has been updated with new appliances and a lot of maple cabinets. hardwood floors recently refinished, really nothing needs to be done to this house except to cater to personal taste.
just to let you know...
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Thanks for the info...where are you guys at?
kid a
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kid a »

mean wrote: Thanks for the info...where are you guys at?
we are at 124 South Lawn ave.
needs a little outside work that i am going to get to when it warms up a bit, but not much at all.
the inside has alot of original oak wood work.
there is not a for sale sign out yet.
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

mean wrote: Well, I'm definitely interested in seeing it whenever. If you would like to set something up, I'll get you the contact info.
Anybody interested in 507 Olive can call Stu at 816-213-7726.  He told me to post his number.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I guess I'll pass that number to my agent. Is he going to FSBO?