New Threads

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New Threads

Post by KCMax »

Where do you go shopping for new threads? I need to change my wardrobe.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: New Threads

Post by Tosspot »

I'm going to Eddie Bauer on the Plaza in awhile to get some wintry-type stuff that's probably on discount now since summer is only 4 months away.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCMax wrote: Where do you go shopping for new threads? I need to change my wardrobe.
what is your style?  what are you looking for?

if you buy clothes new, try banana republic, A/X, Hall's downstairs, Nordstrom, Guess, Imagery, J.Crew, Habitat, Express...urban outfitters on the Plaza has some good stuff mixed in with the wannabe-Seth Cohen stuff...
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Depends on your style. Are you Bannana  Repulic/J Crew? Or are  you Urban Outfitters/Buckle? Plan to have a large budget for all the above mentioned stores ie: AX, Bananna, Urban Outfitters, Guess, Nordstroms. 100+ dollars per pair of jeans. If you want more bang for you buck however, I have a few suggestions, including some that are not the dreaded "national chains." Viva Fashion Mart, 47th and State Ave has allot of nice jeans, especially for those who want a hip hop look, but they have all sorts of styles, including jeans with a urban outfitters look. And the prices are right. They even sell faux bullet proof vests, like what  50 cent has been sporting lately. Even jeans with pictures of mary jane plants on em, if thats your thing LOL.  TJ Max, Marshalls, and SteinMart are good places, you kind of have to dig to find the good stuff, or visit multiple locations. But the prices are right for designer labels. Or try mixing things.You can go all out on one piece, like designer jeans, and save money elsewhere with like 5 screen printed tees from Wal-Mart versus the one you would have bought for the same money at Urban Outfitters.  I have a 170 dollar pair of jeans from AX, that I wear with some nice screen print tees from wal-mart. I still look like a million  bucks,  and for all people know, I got that screen printed tee from Urban Outfitters. Interesting to note, I saw a screen print tee-shirt at Urban Outfitters that I really wanted, but I resisted the temptation to spend the 40 bucks. The next week I was at Kmart, and saw the exact same shirt, same graphic, same color, same everything, except the tag inside it, and it was 12 bucks.
Robafurd
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Robafurd »

there is a new place on 75th just west of Wornall that has some good basics in the form of american apparel tee shirts.  can't remember what the place is called but it is next to Kennedy's.  when I was there over christmas it looked like they were still setting up shop, but it looked promising. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'm a t-shirt and jeans kinda guy, I just need to throw out all my old jeans because they are all 90s style. I also need some fairly nice shirts for going out to bars when a t-shirt just won't cut it. I'd rather not spend a lot of money but I don't have to pinch pennies. Something age-appropriate for a 27 year old that won't make me look like I'm trying to relive my college years, but doesn't make me look like my dad.

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I just got a couple of zip-up kind of sweater things on sale at Eddie Bauer for just over $40. The only times their prices are reasonable are when you buy clearance items.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

hall's is having a big sale right now, was just in the crown center store today. lots of stuff 66% off. the original prices are high, but the markdowns make it equitable to full price at the gap. express is also good when there's a sale; unfortunately, you have to drive to zona rosa, oak park, or town center to find one. as far as other city options, there's the bunker and imagery in westport (look for sales at both). dillard's also has good sales, and they should also be liquidating their winter stuff about now. also, you simply can't beat marshall's and tj maxx for price... between the two there are at least 7 in the metro, and the stock varies by store.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Valentino's on the Plaza.
Robafurd
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Robafurd »

standard in town center also.  They have a lot of stupid "cali" style junk, but good stuff from brands like Theory, too.  Sales at Hall's are always worth checking out. 
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I tend to like Gap's jeans for the money.  I pass on most of their other stuff.  JCrew has some good button-downs, as does Banana Republic.  Gap and BR just had a good sale after Christmas...their new stuff for spring should be around soon.

Bunker in Westport has some really cool shoes for decent prices.

And...if you can catch a sale there, Brooks Brothers has awesome polos.  But...catch a sale.

If you're looking for some funny Tee's, give www.bustedtees.com a look.  A Grecian-looking guy once heckled me when I was wearing the Greece one.  I think I may have offended him.  8-[

You make me realize that we need a "Sale!" thread.  "Sale at Banana Republic!  Forum pary at 5!"
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

DaveKCMO wrote: hall's is having a big sale right now, was just in the crown center store today. 
this is exactly what i was going to say. for whatever the reason, every year close to valentines day and halloween, halls always has KICK FUCKING ASS sales on their stuff, not sure what the reason is, but i mean, their stuff is high as all hell the rest of the year, they do like 50-70% off so much stuff during this time, which, makes it say, dillards prices at that point, but, $50 for nice jeans versus $130 is a steal.
KCMax wrote: Where do you go shopping for new threads? I need to change my wardrobe.
definitely check out halls. good deals this time of the year.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Def. Banana Republic on the Plaza. 

Also, don't forget about the A/X on the plaza too... it's the lowest of the "Armani" brands, but hey, at least KC's got one. 
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

The selection isn't the widest in the world, but you can score some GREAT seals at Costco. I just got a pair of $70 Perry Ellis khakis there for $10.

It wouldn't be the 1st place I'd go, but it can be a good store to supplement your shopping elsewhere.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Thanks for the suggestions. I went to Hall's today. It really isn't my style, but they did have some great deals and I did pick up one shirt and a tie for extremely cheap. I've never had a salesperson give me a handshake and their business card after a deal. Is that the norm at Hall's?

I also checked out Imagery and Bunker in Westport. Both places were pretty cool, but a bit pricier than I wanted to pay.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote:   I've never had a salesperson give me a handshake and their business card after a deal. Is that the norm at Hall's?
yeah, it is a hallmark thing. customers for life, they say.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCMax wrote:I also checked out Imagery and Bunker in Westport. Both places were pretty cool, but a bit pricier than I wanted to pay.
then you definitely need to check out marshall's and tj maxx, since they eventually get last year's stock from the above stores. i am an addicted to marshall's. here's a play-by-play:

1. mega marshall's, zona rosa. start here PERIOD. it's big, clean, and well-organized. they have larger outwear and clearance sections. the perfect sunday is to spend an hour here and at DSW, then pig out on pasta at bravo (and then promptly leave).
2. marshall's, 91st & metcalf. the first one in kc, as far as i know. organized, but usually picked over. i call it "the standby".
3. tj maxx, 91st & metcalf. can't beat the convenience of being across the street from marshall's! a total mess, so be prepared dig or find one sock when looking for a pair.
4. tj maxx, ward parkway. new & clean, but already disorganized. i always have luck finding ben sherman stuff here, plus it's next to off broadway shoes (a must!).
5. marshall's, merriam. smaller, but conveniently located on I-35. never crowded.
6. (tie) tj maxx, legends, and marshall's, great mall. way the hell out there in opposite directions, but if i'm nearby, these are "must-dos". the great mall location's selection has suffered recently, almost as if were a microcosm of it's host site. the tj maxx at the legends is brand new and hasn't had the opportunity to become a mess (yet).
7. marshall's, independence commons. only if you NEED something by fubu for $5. otherwise, steer clear.

the tj maxx website tells me that there is one in lee's summit, but i have no desire to trek out there (i find LS to be completely redundant with OP, which is closer to me).
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

too bad saks belly up'd..  you couldve got a fresh pair of these.

Dolce & Gabbana
Peace Sign Jeans
Heavily distressed and frayed, this five-pocket style is detailed with a sequin and bead peace sign on the back pocket.
Tapered fit

$895.00

Saks Mens Jeans - Link
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

MidWestSider wrote: too bad saks belly up'd..  you couldve got a fresh pair of these.

Dolce & Gabbana
Peace Sign Jeans
Heavily distressed and frayed, this five-pocket style is detailed with a sequin and bead peace sign on the back pocket.
Tapered fit

$895.00

Saks Mens Jeans - Link

just borrow them from trailerkid.
Last edited by chrizow on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
driver 8
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by driver 8 »

Gordmans always has good deals on clothes but I mostly buy online from Overstock.com.