Pros/Cons living DTKC

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Pros/Cons living DTKC

Post by skim82 »

What do you guys love about living downtown??

Also, what would you like to see in DT in the future??
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Pros/Cons living DTKC

Post by moderne »

Love views looking out 15 or more miles, the river rolling by with fog drifting down the valley, glorious sunrise and sunsets with the skyscrapers glowing gold like the towers of Minas Tirith, the street people encamped by the steam vent under the Grand overpass, walking to the theaters and symphony.  Just need the grocery and more decent mid priced places to eat.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

moderne wrote: ...glorious sunrise and sunsets with the skyscrapers glowing gold like the towers of Minas Tirith...
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Being able to walk out the door and see something other than a sea of parking.  Walking to work.  The best access to transit in the area. 

I'd like to see more lower priced dining options, and later hours & weekend hours for the stores and restaurants that are downtown already.
driver 8
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by driver 8 »

The amazing view from my 12th story loft, the ability to walk to the city market and the many bars and restaurants, walking distance of the crossroads with the many art gallaries, skyscrapers and historic buildings for scenery instead of strip malls and fast food joints, and all the cool people i've met since living down here.  What we need down here is simply more... More people, more retail, more dining choices, more things open late night and on the weekends.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

what are your favorite clubs / bars downtown?

I always see well (hear) John's Deck when I'm Dt, but what quaint neighborhood bars do you guys frequent. ???
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I love having my "living room" outside my door. I sleep in my apartment, but I live downtown. You know what I mean?

I'm not much of one for clubs, as my ideal outing involves a seat, a table, a conversation, and good beer on tap. With that in mind, I love Harry's Country Club when it isn't jammed with people. Actually, the "jammed with people," qualification is probably about the most important thing for me. That's why I hate the Falloon and Lucky's.

I really like getting a drink at the Cup and Saucer(the older bar portion), Jilly's, The Peanut, Bulldog, Grinders, Winslow's(the bar portion), River Market Brewing Co, The Brick, The Cashew, 12 Baltimore, The Majestic(especially the basement), Drafter's and a bunch more. Some of those places get really crowded, but some don't. As I despise large crowds, my favorite time to hit any of these places is on off-nights, or during the day. As such, it's actually kind of rare that I'll go to them on Friday or Saturday night.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

skim82 wrote: what are your favorite clubs / bars downtown?

I always see well (hear) John's Deck when I'm Dt, but what quaint neighborhood bars do you guys frequent. ???
I'm a newbie to downtown but I love John's Big Deck, Harry's Country Club, the Brick, and Harry's in Westport if you consider that downtown.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

skim82 wrote: what are your favorite clubs / bars downtown?
primary:
12 baltimore, jilly's, bar natasha, bulldog

secondary:
the brick*, harry's CC, cashew, downstairs @ 1924 main

* only for trivia night

i would go to 2020 more, but that place is NEVER open.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Biggest Pro - being able to walk to destinations. 
Biggest Con - still no neighborhood market.
DaveKCMO wrote: i would go to 2020 more, but that place is NEVER open.
Aint that the damn truth.  I live around the corner and I have litterally only seen it open once. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

DaveKCMO wrote: secondary:
the brick*, harry's CC, cashew, downstairs @ 1924 main

* only for trivia night
Oh, another trivia person? Sweet.

The Brick has good music some nights, too...
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Friday night: catch a bus to pick up a video game.  (I only play one, and that is the only reason I have a TV: Winning Eleven).  Go home and a friend meets me via bicycle and another hops the bus.  We have a few beers and play the new video games.  Decide we need some different beer.  Walk to Harry's.  Take soccer ball and juggle in the park on the way.  Decide later that we are hungry.  Walk to Arun to eat, arrive during reverse happy hour -- spontaneous party ensues.  Walk home and check out the bustle around Kabal and the other destinations.  Play more video games.

...and that is a Friday night with no plans where I'm just messing around and rolling with it.  Like bahua said, downtown is the living room.  I didn't have anything good to eat, so I just walked into the "other room" and had some awesome thai.

You can walk to the area's finest arts events, take the bus anywhere, bike anywhere, etc, and you are well-connected to everything. 

Besides that, where else can I live in a 100 year old building with exposed brick and an original concrete floor that was once used to manufacture furniture?  I have planes, trains, boats and automobiles outside my window and just a low rumble of activity with the windows open.  Noise isn't an issue -- its just ambiance.

That, and I'm part of something.  Part of a rebirth, an element in the excitement, a member of the community, etc.  It is a fun place to be and everything is growing and changing around me like it wouldn't anywhere else.  Walks around your neighborhood change every minute when you live downtown.

My only gripe would be like the others -- need more places for later night quick/cheap eats, i.e. something like Planet Sub open later.

I don't have as much of a problem with the market because I can get almost everything in the River Market.  Produce is obviously available, but the stores also have spices, olive oils, breads, pita, dried fruit, nuts, etc.  China Town has more veggies, noodles, seasonings, sauces, etc, as well as fresh fish and a few other quirky items.  I have yet to try all of the Asian markets in the area.

I only venture out for skim milk because ChinaTown only has 2%, and if it is 10 PM and nothing is open.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

wow... staubio you should be an ambassador for downtown living in KC.
driver 8
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by driver 8 »

Primarily The Peanut, The Brick, John's Big Deck, River Market Brewing Company and Harry's Country Club. I go to the Majestic and the Phoenix on occasion.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Downtown is still a mystery to this hardcore "Vestportah."

An awesome mystery, that is.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

A sexy mystery?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

warwickland wrote: Downtown is still a mystery to this hardcore "Vestportah."

An awesome mystery, that is.
Throw a leg over a bike, you fool!  'Tis time to discover!  Meet me by the bike racks!
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

staubio wrote: Throw a leg over a bike, you fool!  'Tis time to discover!  Meet me by the bike racks!
Dude, that wasn't you i saw coming down the BAllis Plaza staircase at 13th and Wyandotte on a bike with a full-face helmet on late one night, was it?  Those people were crazy!!
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

staubio wrote: Throw a leg over a bike, you fool!  'Tis time to discover!  Meet me by the bike racks!
i was rockin' columbus park and river market yesterday...still, the loop presents me with a [glow=red,2,300]mysterious aura of mysteriousness[/glow]. i havent rolled around through every alley, yet, like you probably have. i will though.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Kard wrote: Dude, that wasn't you i saw coming down the BAllis Plaza staircase at 13th and Wyandotte on a bike with a full-face helmet on late one night, was it?  Those people were crazy!!
No.  I ain't one of thems there "hucker" types.  I ride to go places, not to break things.