OFFICIAL: H&R Block HQ

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Re: OFFICIAL: H&R Block HQ

Post by Gladstoner »

I very much like the Rep building. The exterior is classily understated as an institutional building should be. If there were store fronts, there would be people who would deride it as "commercialized".
A fool and your money are soon united.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The east wall of the Copaken looks interesting at night with the rough textured projecting stone blocks highlighted and shadowed.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Pic update  =D> =D> =D> =D>

I love the balcony on the south side of the rep theater. it is cool.

By the way Does any body know if the block garage is free or paid?
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

That balcony is actually seating for the Block cafeteria.  It is open to the public so you can walk in and eat there if you'd like, though it is overpriced and not that good.

The garages are pay.  I think they are reserved for HRB during the day but they open them up for special events hosted in the building.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

I just had about 30 new field associates in town the last couple of days and they were just blown away with everything that is going on downtown. Obviously, they loved the new building, loved the President, loved the Arthur Bryants I brought in for them, and really enjoyed the area restaurants. PChophouse, Majestic, Lydias to name a few.  The training rooms have huge windows that look out on the Sprint Arena, so it was cool to open those up during breaks and lunch.  Thanks to this site, I was able to answer almost all their questions about what was going on and provide them with plenty of info. Overall, they had real good vibe about KC.  Too bad everything isn't already completed, but I can imagine what the responses will be like from out of town folks a year from now.

Lots of head scratchin' about the Town Pavillion Art Install though... :lol: 
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

While taking this picture the security guard told me I was not suppose to take pictures of the building and was not suppose to be on the stairs unless I was an employee....... I then kept taking pictures and she didn't do anything about it.... :lol:
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KansasCityCraka wrote: While taking this picture the security guard told me I was not suppose to take pictures of the building and was not suppose to be on the stairs unless I was an employee....... I then kept taking pictures and she didn't do anything about it.... :lol:
As long as you are standing on public property such as the sidewalk or the street, legally you can photograph whatever you want to. If you are on public property and a security guard tells you that you can't photograph a building, tell the security guard to get fucked.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
BigSam
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigSam »

Tosspot wrote: As long as you are standing on public property such as the sidewalk or the street, legally you can photograph whatever you want to. If you are on public property and a security guard tells you that you can't photograph a building, tell the security guard to get fucked.
I would avoid the "get fucked."  The DHS issues out there are large buildings make for an interesting vibe when taking pictures.  I know I've attracted state troopers in the past year taking pics and then going through the joy of them doing a quick background check on me.

Trust me, I don't look like Al Qaeda, but you know profiling is a no-no anyway.

Later,
Sam S.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

I think it's time for the city to step in and keep these "Security Guards' from being assholes and prevent them from keeping people off private property. As long as your outside the building, the security guards shouldn't be able to do anything about you.
If the security guard doesn't like you being on property that is connected directly to the street, then tell him to move to the suburbs, because he's in the city, where people are supposed to walk in these areas. It isn't like a terrorist is going to target H&R Block, or any local buildings. It's too small scale anyway.
frankthetank
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by frankthetank »

Does anyone know what is being built on the block immediately north of H&R Headquarters?
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

frankthetank wrote: Does anyone know what is being built on the block immediately north of H&R Headquarters?
That is part of the P&L District as well. That block will have a grocery store, a gym, and a condo tower.

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/i ... pic=3144.0

im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

eliphar17 wrote: That is part of the P&L District as well. That block will have a grocery store, a gym, and a condo tower.

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/i ... pic=3144.0

sweeet..
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

There was some sort of crazy LED strip going up the south EAST corner of the building I saw from 71 tonight.  It was as wide as a column of windows and went up to about three floors from the top.  It was multicolored and animated.

I hadn't heard about anything on the southeast side.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I saw that during the day where it appeared on the glass looking like an automobile rear window heater.
ddw334umkc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ddw334umkc »

The lights said "Happy New Year" on the east side of the building. 
"Let's get it!"
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

ddw334umkc wrote: The lights said "Happy New Year" on the east side of the building.
Ah, ok, I thought it was said to be on the southwest side.  My bad.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

from today's collison article about the P+L cost increases:
$1.2 million to reinforce the foundation for a potential second H&R Block office building.
i've heard from people working in the current building that it is already full. can anyone confirm?
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Pretty darn close.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

kucer wrote: Pretty darn close.

Obv. a firm doesn't want to take the risk of owning a ton of real estate, but is there any way they would consider a 2nd building down there?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

When P&L and Block building were announced, it was said that Block would expand in about 2010. Block would build on top of the buildings going on the north east corner of the block just to the west of the HQ.

That must be what they are reinforcing. Not sure what is currently going into that area, I think it is retail. In any event, the plan is to build 200,000 square feet of office on top of that.

Personally, I would like to see KCPL and Block go together to build one big office building just north of the Sprint Center on the Jake's site.