OFFICIAL: H&R Block HQ

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: OFFICIAL: H&R Block HQ

Post by Midtownkid »

I know they have at least tested them before.  I have some pics of them lit.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

KCPowercat wrote: Anybody noticed the graphics now working on the SE "corner" of the building?  Can't remember what night it was, I think Thursday, I saw it lit up green flashing somebody's name and then saying "you got people".
"You got people" is H&R Block's tagline.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the LEDs were on tonight. were they on last night?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I didn’t even realize there were lights on this building until I found this thread. Is there any reason they’re off? Will they turn them on for the draft?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Think its always had something to do with tax season?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:27 am I didn’t even realize there were lights on this building until I found this thread. Is there any reason they’re off? Will they turn them on for the draft?
They've been off for a few years. Older LED technology and I'm assuming they don't want to pay to fix it.

You can see the LED matrix on the upper floor south side during the day.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

bspecht wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:51 pm Floors 3-10 put up for lease. https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1301-Ma ... /31458092/
That's more than half the whole building!

This is also why you focus on housing instead of trying to entice businesses back to the urban core.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... r-BB1lohvX
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:00 pm
bspecht wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:51 pm Floors 3-10 put up for lease. https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1301-Ma ... /31458092/

This is also why you focus on housing instead of trying to entice businesses back to the urban core.
There are a lot of businesses that still require employees to be in the office. It would behoove downtown KC to build its employment base rather than just become a residential area. First and foremost, the number of people who want to live downtown and work elsewhere in the metro are limited which is one of the reasons why construction of apartments has crashed in KC's urban's core (one of several reasons). If one works downtown the chances of wanting live nearby seem like they'd be much higher not to mention whatever corporate contributions could be made from local companies to make downtown a better place.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:00 pm

Don’t disagree thag more housing and amenities are good BUT the most lucrative employers continue to heavily skew towards in office. KC is plagued with consolidations and less than market leading HQs. In part due to the historic difficulty in attracting young talent to the region and our complete lack of high quality higher education institutions.
Last edited by langosta on Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Having lived and worked from home next door to this building for the past two years this doesn’t surprise me at all. The space was most utilized at nights when the cleaning crew was working - even during busy season
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Highlander wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:21 pm There are a lot of businesses that still require employees to be in the office. It would behoove downtown KC to build its employment base rather than just become a residential area. First and foremost, the number of people who want to live downtown and work elsewhere in the metro are limited which is one of the reasons why construction of apartments has crashed in KC's urban's core (one of several reasons). If one works downtown the chances of wanting live nearby seem like they'd be much higher not to mention whatever corporate contributions could be made from local companies to make downtown a better place.
Businesses don't drive residential. Residential drives business. The people in power to determine where an office or HQ is located have mostly lived in the suburbs, so offices locations have largely moved there. Get the CEO to live downtown and the office will follow.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

No wonder, since the Blochs are selling their plaza condo and moving to, um, Aspen? Palm Beach? Mar-o-lago?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realest ... r-BB1jy6sf
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

They are deceased.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

moderne wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:02 pm They are deceased.
article says such in the first few sentences
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

There are still office buildings going up in cities. They are mostly towers for single occupancy company headquarters, but they are going up.

In KC's case, anything is better than empty buildings, but I would hate to see one of KC's only modern class A office buildings turn residential.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

GRID wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:05 pm In KC's case, anything is better than empty buildings, but I would hate to see one of KC's only modern class A office buildings turn residential.
Not suggesting turning H&R Block building into residential. That’d make no sense. I’m suggesting not chasing businesses with massive incentives and instead continuing to push for increasing levels of residential. The business will follow.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:09 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:05 pm In KC's case, anything is better than empty buildings, but I would hate to see one of KC's only modern class A office buildings turn residential.
Not suggesting turning H&R Block building into residential. That’d make no sense. I’m suggesting not chasing businesses with massive incentives and instead continuing to push for increasing levels of residential. The business will follow.
Yeah, tend to agree with that.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

GRID wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:36 pm
It's really the main problem made by urban core planners in the last 100 years. They basically said, "Well, we're getting the corporate tax money, who really cares if people move out of the city? It's always going to be the basis of trade and commerce in every American city." Well, the cities took the people and then came after the businesses too. We should follow the same strategy in reverse. Bring people and wealth and the best schools and a higher quality of life back to the urban core.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:21 am
GRID wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:36 pm
It's really the main problem made by urban core planners in the last 100 years. They basically said, "Well, we're getting the corporate tax money, who really cares if people move out of the city? It's always going to be the basis of trade and commerce in every American city." Well, the cities took the people and then came after the businesses too. We should follow the same strategy in reverse. Bring people and wealth and the best schools and a higher quality of life back to the urban core.
Which is why that often when a city like KCMO is able to lure an out of town company to downtown, when their lease it up, they often re-locate to Johnson county where the decision makers of the companies tend to live and probably a majority of the employees.

Downtown KC needs more high end residential. I mean now there are even Royals and Chiefs players that live downtown. That would not have been the case 15-20 years ago. Downtown KC still needs every type of residential from affordable to ultra luxury. I know not everybody cares about skyline changing towers, but KC could use a super high end tower downtown like what has gone up in other cities. Even Detroit is building one. They are filled with the same demographic of people that live in south overland park or leawood and own companies etc. Those people will have an actual vested interest in downtown.