Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Post by im2kull »

KCLover wrote: According to our master of facts, KCDevin, a skyscraper is defined as a building 12 floors or taller. Don't know the truth to that or even care, but like it or not if they build a 12 story or taller building out there in the wheatfields they will officially have a 'skyline'.
Interesting...not to go too far off topic...but I think emporis uses 10 storys for their building counts
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCkansas
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCkansas »

kcdcchef wrote: too bad it may not.
well...maybe, but im just keeping my hopes up since i only live about two miles away from the speedway...
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Haven't been following this project too closely, but what is the hang up?  Saw a couple people mention something to the effect that it probably won't happen.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

MidtownCat wrote: Haven't been following this project too closely, but what is the hang up?  Saw a couple people mention something to the effect that it probably won't happen.
I think it might just be "wishful" thinking by a couple people that this will fail...
Last edited by BVC on Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

BVC wrote: I think it might just be "wishful" thinking by a couple people that this will fail...
count me as one of them.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

kcdcchef wrote: count me as one of them.
Why on earth would you be against this?
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

kcdcchef wrote: count me as one of them.
Do not fret my man, I had you square in my crosshairs when typing my response...you and that trademarked guy.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Because he hates pouring millions of dollars into a facility out in the middle of nowhere with no urban density around it.

Oh, except for the TSC.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

BVC wrote: I think it might just be "wishful" thinking by a couple people that this will fail...
Check that - wishful thinking by a couple of people - based on absolutely nothing but their own twisted agenda. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

MidWestSider wrote: Why on earth would you be against this?
because i hate that whole area, i think of it as a  cancer
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The first phase of their new retractable roof water park in Galveston is now open and they have lots of pics up on the website.  http://www.schlitterbahn.com/corp/media ... os-gal.asp

They are planning to spend about twice as much on the KCK park - sweet!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Vist my houston thread if you want to see more photos of Schlitterbahn.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=107332
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

I'm the biggest urbanist there is, and think this project is a great thing for Kansas City and the region if it's realized.

Even on the conservative end, if these projections are accurate, you're talking about an influx more than a couple million tourists a year, many of which will also be spending time and dollars downtown as well.

I don't see the negatives with this project.  Village West is what it is, a shopping and entertainment center geared mostly toward suburbia and out of towners.  We're not talking about losing a 50,000 employee corporate campus to Olather instead of downtown.
Last edited by MidtownCat on Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

MidtownCat wrote: I'm the biggest urbanist there is, and think this project is a great thing for Kansas City and the region if it's realized.

Even on the conservative end, if these projections are accurate, you're talking about an influx of over 10 million tourists a year, many of which will also be spending time and dollars downtown as well.

I don't see the negatives with this project.  Village West is what it is, a shopping and entertainment center geared mostly toward suburbia and out of towners.  We're not talking about losing a 50,000 employee corporate campus to Olather instead of downtown.

...yeah, it's not like this could go in Penn Valley Park or the Riverfront.  Sprawling attractions like this belong exactly where it is planned to be.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

This project is moving forward. It  is going to take a whole year just to design it. 2006. A whole year to clear the site. 2007. Construction in 2008? probably not open till between 2010 and 2012. Projects of this magnitude are not done in one year I'm afraid.
The Wyandotte County Election Commission is relocating from the county annex which is to be razed to make way for this development. It is being moved first as not to interfere with the management of upcoming elections. Plans are being finalized now for the temporary relocation of the other departments until a new County building is built out west.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i am pleased about this.  i absolutely abhor the west WYCO developments, but this is precisely what is needed out there.  there is nowhere else in the city where i would like to see this tourist schlock.  i am glad west WYCO has become the newest exurban repository for developments like this.  lordy knows NASCAR and NFM and shitterbahn have no place being near the core.  i am grateful for the millions of visitors.  maybe a few thousand of them will hang out in KCMO, specifically urban KCMO, and see what a real city is like. 
the_shadow
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by the_shadow »

The optimist view for opening is may 2008 for the waterpark and august 2008 for the retail..phase I for both of course.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

the only downside is the effect it will have on WOF OOF...why even bother with those two once this opens...
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

As I have said before - this ought to help WOF.  The new waterpark should bring in amusement park vacation families from much further away.  Lots of these folks will go to WOF too while they are here, Especially if Cedar Fair keeps investing.  WOF's attendance only ought to go up out of this. 

OOF on the other hand - well that may be a lost cause. 
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: As I have said before - this ought to help WOF.  The new waterpark should bring in amusement park vacation families from much further away.  Lots of these folks will go to WOF too while they are here, Especially if Cedar Fair keeps investing.  WOF's attendance only ought to go up out of this. 

OOF on the other hand - well that may be a lost cause. 
I see
THINK (ONE) KC.