Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: KCK to get 300 million dollar water park and resort!!

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: well then research me another county that puts up multimilion dollar deals while the big city suffers. show me one.
There is at least one in every major metro in the country.  Some even have several.  And last I checked the "big city" wasn't suffering here anymore. 

So are you saying you would have liked the $300 million dollar water park built in the "big city".  Yeah that would have looked real nice.  Where exactly would you have suggested that would fit in?  Next to the arena?  Penn Valley?  Yeah thats what I thought, you just wanted to stir up some state v state shit again. 
Last edited by LenexatoKCMO on Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Tosspot wrote: As many of you know, I'm no fan of the suburbs; but really, so what if KCK puts in a water park? I really don't give a rip one way or the other, I just don't see how this is going to hurt KCMO in any substantive way other than motivating Oceans of Fun (surely a privately-owned organization anyway!) to get it's act together.
I think this will help the "region" hear that Lenexa to KC?!!!!  I've been saying this all through this thread.

But look for Olathe to open a similar park in 2008 or at least threaten to have one coming ;).
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

GRID wrote:But look for Olathe to open a similar park in 2008 or at least threaten to have one coming ;).
:lol:

The more I think about it, the more I think this waterpark might be a good idea for KCK and the region.  Like GRID said, Orlando's attractions are spread around the metro, so are Nashville's (with the Grand Ol' Opry), but both cities (smaller than KC) maintain a vibrant downtown.  Eventually the locals will get tired of these tourist traps and go back to their shopping, dining, and nightlife on the Plaza, in the Power & Light District, or in their suburban communities (Zona Rosa, OP Arena District, etc.). 

Isn't Hurricane Harbour included with the 6 Flags admission?   
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

must be nice to be kck and just be able to do shit like this. but when your neighboring county pays for the stadiums, the new arena, the offices, the plaza, crown center, mass transit, etc, etc, bridges over the rivers, i guess you have money to play with. what the hell. i hope the pressure of this makes cedar fair make oceans of fun nicer, and nicer, then it falls through. that would be great.

Give me a freakin break. KCMO built a lot of that stuff with the help of private, state and federal funds. Quit the "woe is KC" attitude. KC built those things because in the long run they help the city economically. They are not done because of charity. Its not like KC is spending millions of dollars and getting nothing in return.

I don't understand your attitude. It seems to be that all of the cities around KC must donate money to KCMO to make sure the city doesn't go under and none of them can do anything to progress their own economic interests. Well I'm sorry, these cities have a right to attract business as well, the right to make their cities better, and frankly, the competition will make KC shape up and become a better city as well. You think the Sprint Center would have been built had OP and Olathe not made an attempt to build arenas?

Its competition man. KC has the resources to be able to make things much bigger and better than Lenexa, OP, Blue Springs, Gladstone or any rinky-dink city in the metro. If it gets outbid, or can't compete, it has no one to blame but itself.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

kcdcchef wrote: but i was dissapointed to see the express and the zinger go, they were both lost from age, which, to me, is weird. because, i have been to kennywood in western pennsylvania, which is the oldest traditional amusement park in america, and they have 4 different rides, 2 of them large coasters, that are over 60 years old. and remember the wildcat of fairyland? it is still in operation at 6 flags in frontier city.
We shouldn't try to save every roller coaster.  Old roller coasters will only interfere with progress.  Yeah, like having those old coasters is really better than those new roller coasters -- not.  Old rollercoasters have no useful purpose.  I say tear them down.

8)
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

staubio wrote: We shouldn't try to save every roller coaster.  Old roller coasters will only interfere with progress.  Yeah, like having those old coasters is really better than those new roller coasters -- not.  Old rollercoasters have no useful purpose.  I say tear them down.

8)
I was sentimentally attached to the orient and zinger just like anyone else who grew up going to WOF.  However, I will only get upset about the removal of a ride if they replace it with something smaller or weaker than what was there before.  As long as Cedar Fair tears down for bigger and better, I won't shed many tears.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I was sentimentally attached to the orient and zinger just like anyone else who grew up going to WOF.  However, I will only get upset about the removal of a ride if they replace it with something smaller or weaker than what was there before.  As long as Cedar Fair tears down for bigger and better, I won't shed many tears.
I was mostly sarcastically repeating KCDC's traditional architecture diatribe, since I found it ironic that he was sentimental about why we couldn't save old rollercoasters.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

not sentimental, inquisitive.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Jhawkman02
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Jhawkman02 »

Not sure if anyone has seen this but on the website for the theme park they have a photo gallery of the new park in KCK.

http://www.schlitterbahn.com/corp/media ... illage.asp
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I'm going to respond to only some of what I've read so far. The first is Oceans of Fun is nothing like this. Does OoF have saltwater lagoons for snorkeling and helmet diving? I don't think so. The second point I'd like to touch on is the idea that this will compete with Village West. It will compliment Village West. This is a "Major Tourist Destination" and this will be one more thing drawing in countless tourists who spend lots of money and generate huge amounts of money. Tourists do this for cities all-over the world. Tourism is big business.
   The other thing I want to mention is about how significant the Legends shopping center at Village West is to counter the nay-sayers. Think about this. New restaurants coming to Kansas City area for the first time are building in two places. The following are the hottest restaurants in the country and they are oping their only kc area locations in Leawood and Kansas City, KS

Ted's Montana Grill  (also in Zona Rosa)
Claddagh's Irish Pub
Cheeseburger in Paradise
Granite City Food and Brewery
FireBirds Rocky Mountain Grill...oops this one is opening in the Legends at village west exclusively

Kansas City, KS is on the same level as Leawood, KS. Who would of thought?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I swear I have read this post before ;)

I saw a Granite City Food and Brewery at Zona Rosa today btw...
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Having been to Cheeseburger in Paradise once, I wouldnt' walk across the street to return.
igglephile
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by igglephile »

Looking at the renderings, is the courthouse annex going away? My mother always griped about it when we paid our vehicle property taxes (known as "tags" to the other 'dotte residents--let's call it what they are) that her tax dollars certainly weren't going to fix that decrepid old thing.

No mom, they are just being used to attract water parks. ;)
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

The Fair Grounds will be relocating to the corner where the county's west offices aka "annex"  now sits and will be torn down.The fair will get brand new buildings and facillities at no direct cost to taxpayers. The building was formerly a nursing home many eons ago and does not service citizens or employees of the UG very well. A new west office focusing on only departments dealing directly with the public will be built and those departments located there not dealing with the public will move to the municipal office building downtown. The municipal courts will move to the basement of city hall and the police dept hq will stay at the former bpu building.
Or at least thats what i've heard.
igglephile
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by igglephile »

I mean, don't get me wrong, it is very convenient to the long-ass wait at the Courthouse downtown to pay your taxes, but the place is old. I suppose even an allright-looking storefront in a strip mall will do for that function.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Kansas City Kansas to get 300+ acre water park

Post by mister816 »

I don't know if this has been posted but Kansas City is getting one of america's largest water parks... Schlitterbahn in texas is already rated america's # 1 water park, and now they are building one in KC, so just imagine what will happen when they build a new spin on that in the Village....

Pics:
ImageImageImageImage

info:

The Schlitterbahn Vacation Village is a $300 million family destination resort complex comprised of multiple entertainment venues connected by a Transportainment River System.  In the Vacation Village, manmade rivers carry guests between lodging units and a large summertime waterpark, marine exhibitions and a covered River Walk with shops and restaurants.

If project negotiations conclude successfully, the Kansas project will be the first expansion outside of Texas for the popular Schlitterbahn group of waterparks.   Widely recognized as the first family of American waterparks, Schlitterbahn currently operates two Texas waterparks – one in New Braunfels and the other on South Padre Island.  Schlitterbahn’s third waterpark opens this winter on Galveston Island, south of Houston.

SITE:  The proposed site for the Schlitterbahn Vacation Village is a 300+ acre track near Village West in Kansas City, Kansas.  It is bounded by State Avenue on the south, Parallel Parkway on the north, Interstate 435 on he west and 94th Street on the east.
TIMELINE: Schlitterbahn Vacation Village could be open approximately 36 months after the agreement and financing are finalized.  Design and engineering  is expected to take about 12 months; construction could be completed 24 months later.
COMPONENTS:  The project will include a Schlitterbahn Waterpark for summer operation.  It will be one of the world’s largest tubing parks with miles of interconnected rivers and signature attractions such as the Master Blaster® uphill water coaster and Torrent River®.

The project will also include a large Interactive Marine Park with saltwater lagoons for snorkeling, helmet diving and touch pools.

A mile-long River Walk will feature destination shopping, dining and entertainment centered in a covered, year-round environment.

A variety of Lodging facilities will be available, including a 300-room hotel, waterfront cabins, and the unique Treehaus Resort with elevated pods – all integrated with the waterpark attractions.

Full info page:

http://www.schlitterbahn.com/corp/media ... tsheet.asp
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Kansas City Kansas to get 300+ acre water park

Post by dangerboy »

mister816 wrote: I don't know if this has been posted but Kansas City is getting one of america's largest water parks... Schlitterbahn in texas is already rated america's # 1 water park, and now they are building one in KC, so just imagine what will happen when they build a new spin on that in the Village....
So just do a quick search before posting.  Here's the existing thread that was started two months ago...

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/i ... pic=6765.0
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Kansas City Kansas to get 300+ acre water park

Post by mister816 »

well my post was better anyways... I gave WAY more info and pics for the people who wanted pics too.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WOW, this is just turning out to be an amazing project for KCK and the entire metropolitan area.

The bj is reporting that Schlitterbahn's KCK park could top 1.2 BILLION with as many as three phases.  The park could include winter themed attractions that would operate in the cold months.  THe hotel could be as large as 1200 rooms and the park could average 25,000 visitors a day.

All I can say is wow.  I hope KCK pulls this one off!
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

GRID wrote: The park could include winter themed attractions that would operate in the cold months. 
Outdoor stuff?  That would be INCREDIBLE!  Aside from perhaps the pseudo skiing at Snow Creek and ice skating, we've never really had winter recreation options.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'