Excelsior Springs

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Excelsior Springs

Post by FangKC »

There is no fifth destination.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We stayed at the Elms Friday night (wife got a gift cert for xmas). I'd not been before, so I can't compare, but overall had a good time. They are still renovating, but the rooms, bar/restaurant and lobby are finished. Restaurant looked very nice, but we ate in town, all I can vouch for is a good G&T served in a big heavy glass. We hung out on the front porch with the nice weather. The rooms are well done, but small, like the boutiques I've stayed in SF. Bathrooms had marble tops, basket weave tile floors and subway tile showers. Big screen on the wall, king size bed, view is temporarily of construction equipment. The AC was a bit loud for the size of the room. I think we'll try the cooler months when we return.

Lots of people (it was a "doggie weekend" or something), art walk of about 6-9 galleries or curio shops. Ate at Ventana, nothing fancy but good and friendly.

Odd moment: There was a blues band playing in a parking lot on the main drag, but they faced away from the street toward 2 rows of mostly empty folding chairs. People were sitting in their cars on the street listening. WTF?

Downtown seems to be in building mode, a bunch of residential in a "new urbanism" style, porches, up to the street, looks to be single level floor plan. Looks kind of odd, but will be good for the downtown. The Oaks Hotel has been converted to retirement living, 3 or 4 storefronts under renovation. Lady at Hall of Waters said a couple of business people had bought up most of the downtown and spearheaded the renovations.

Sorry I didn't take any pix, that gin and tonic was really strong.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

nice report, thanks. i'll also throw out there that Wabash BBQ in excelsior springs is pretty tasty and is located in a historic train depot. a good spot to check out if you're looking to get out of "the city" for an evening.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Seconded, we walked over to look around and it was quite busy. Seems to be the easy alternative for guests to the Elms high end restaurant.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Thought this was worth adding. (if you really want this postcard, it is on ebay...not mine)

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The Hall of Waters has been named by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as one of the 11 most endangered historic places in America. It needs more than $16 millions in rehabilitation needs, that Excelsior Springs has no way of funding.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

moderne wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:30 am The Hall of Waters has been named by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as one of the 11 most endangered historic places in America. It needs more than $16 millions in rehabilitation needs, that Excelsior Springs has no way of funding.
Interesting, just read up a little on the place. I knew the springs used to draw visitors but had no idea such a huge resort existed.

Reminds me a little bit of Topo Chico, sourced from Monterrey, Mexico for 100+ years and very popular in Texas. Maybe we have some spiked El Agua Excelsior Springs on some fancy cans and then the kids will go crazy.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I believe their spring is polluted.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

There's 40 springs, they certainly can find one that could be used

https://cityofesmo.com/preservation/ind ... al-waters/
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

The Hall of Waters has been named by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as one of the 11 most endangered historic places in America. It needs more than $16 millions in rehabilitation needs, that Excelsior Springs has no way of funding.
Sad. That's an amazing building in a neat little town. The idea of a renovated water bar with various mineral waters and an adjoining spa/bath is awesome. I haven't been up there for a few years but have been hoping to go check out the new(ish) Dubious Claims brewery this fall. The Elms is right around the corner from both Hall of Waters and the brewery and continues to do pretty well. Would love to see additional investment/rehab up there.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I had a chance to go to the Elms Lodge over the weekend. I didn't take many pics but I would say the resort is still very well kept, with nice updates bust still very historic.
Unfortunately the Spa grotto is under renovation but the facilities were very nice, indoor and outdoor pool and hot tubs, restaurant was excellent and overall it was busy including a wedding party staying there that weekend. We were staying just down the hall from Truman Suite. We will have to come back when the grotto is open.

Hyatt has recently taken the place over. You can see much better pictures than my iphone could take on their instagram:https://www.instagram.com/elmshotelandspa/

We also stopped at the Wabash BBQ before heading out of town. Food was decent and the building is a really cool 1927 train station built by the Wabash RR. Worth a visit if you're ever in the area. It is noted that this was not the interurban train station, which is located down the street I believe where the VFW is.

https://theidlehour.com/railroadfolder/interurban.html

I believe the Hall of Waters is still closed.