OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by dukuboy1 »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:01 am
dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:28 am I think a simple observation has gone off the rails into some previous pissing match rekindled. In just looking at the photos, I see the question of looking at the rooves & seeing the HVAC stuff while on the bridge. Would it have been nice to have a facade or something extended on the roofline to hide those? Sure. Was it required, most likely not as it was mentioned these were basically slab build suburban style 5-6 story max height apartment complexes.

Living in the suburbs I can't say I have really paid much attention or noticed things like that in the past. Plus I drive over the HOA bridge almost everyday on my way home from work (work downtown, live in Briarcliff)
Thank you for a rational response. I'll try and be more careful with my words next time and avoid posting on the Rag when stopped at red lights. ;)
You are fine, sometimes people need to focus on the content not what they infer the context be. As Freud famously said: “sometimes a cigar is just a cigar”
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

A geotechnical drilling machine was on the site of the formerly proposed Lux apartment building today.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:39 am Happy Friday DCole! Let's make the next riverfront development building taller than HOA and we'll not have to worry about this. I'm fine adding this particular observation to the list of things done poorly at the riverfront.
I’ve been spending some time in the river front for work this week and yeah, agree there’s some things that could be better. Still love the overall vibe of the area.
Last edited by DColeKC on Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

River market or river front?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:52 pm River market or river front?
My god I can't get this right. River front area, sorry. I'll get it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:37 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:39 am Happy Friday DCole! Let's make the next riverfront development building taller than HOA and we'll not have to worry about this. I'm fine adding this particular observation to the list of things done poorly at the riverfront.
I’ve been spending some time in the river front for work this week and yeah, agree there’s some things that could be better. Still love the overall vibe of the area.
Yeah definitely..
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

From reporter on twitter, referring to renderings of Lux project
Lux Living has not returned before Port KC since this meeting, but final plans filed this week should clear up any questions as to whether the developer's 254-unit riverfront proposal remains active. The City Plan Commission is set to review the plans on Sept. 6.
https://twitter.com/KCBJ_Thomas/status/ ... 53/photo/2
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Some plans & elevations for the Lux Living development are in this permit.

KCDowntown
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

The Lux Living apartment development plan passed CPC today 5-0.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

gfenn11 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:49 pm The Lux Living apartment development plan passed CPC today 5-0.
https://www.kctv5.com/2022/09/06/kcs-pl ... partments/
The St. Louis-based development company ‘Lux Living’ is pitching the seven-story residential building. It will feature a parking garage with 230 parking stalls underneath the building, with the main entrance, will be on the south side of the building.

A report from the City Plan Commission says staff would like to see pedestrian access on the northern side of the building as well.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

So just to be clear here- this is alive from the dead now? I was told this was perma-dead despite the developer saying it wasn’t
longtimelistener
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by longtimelistener »

https://www.kctv5.com/2022/09/06/kcs-pl ... partments/

Where the KCTV video report represents the project being constructed is misleading to say the least. It infers that the building is going between Berkley Riverfront Pkwy and the river and will be gobbling up the green space of the park. When in all reality its gobbling up a gravel parking lot used by BarK. Splash in a some anti-development vibes and "things are changing" fear mongering and you have a great bit of negligent reporting there. Checking the plans is not that hard people!
longtimelistener
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by longtimelistener »

KCTV does at least get the location correct in the article.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

*Lux plan falls apart in May*
5 pages about why KC is ruining itself and going to hell

*Lux plan passes in September*
Silence
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Fountains wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:43 pm Going through without incentives awesome
No one said the incentive request isn't happening
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I don't mind it advancing, it's a good thing, but discussion over missteps done by the city when it comes to the development process are necessary.

When I was at Lux, I had a discussion about whether the affordable housing rules + the incentives were really beneficial. In reality, it only showed a minor benefit at the end of the term whereas going all market-rate yielded close to the same financial benefit. In other words, affordable housing costs the same as martlet-rate to build, but you get less money from rent that incentives can't make up for, but Lux figured to at least try and see what's possible with the strict affordable housing rules. Several groups disliked the request. The project went away for a while with different pathways explore. Came back and was apparently approved.

As we can see, this project moved ahead as did ArriveKC and Jamestown Square. Down at Main and Armour, we're still waiting for the Mac project to come back (it will one day). The ones moving ahead total 846-866 units. All were contentious in their own ways. That's on top of...
- Oaks at River Market (102 units) moving ahead incentive free.
- City Harvest (300 units) likely moving ahead thanks to changed height rules (any update there?).
- Freight House Village (250 units) chugging towards approval with need for a few changes but nothing major).
- Ongoing construction of the Katz on Main (192 units) and Wonderland (215 units) by Lux Living.
- The Barney Allis Plaza overhaul (226 units) seems destined to happen since that's backed by the City through an RFP.
- 10th and Main (240 units) seems to be trending towards happening as a more definitive development plan is set to take shape.
- The Tracks (193 units) in the Crossroads is under construction.
- Price intends to renovate remaining floors of 10 Main Center into 135 units.
- The old AT&T building is on track to be renovated into 265 apartments.
- Redesign/Revival of the Dylan (338 units) at Country Club Plaza.
- Attempted advancement of Block's 47Madison (238 units) luxury high-rise

So we're looking at between 3540 and 3560 units that are in varying stages of the process but all seem on track to happen.

Folks like Kathleen Pointer and KCTenants can continue complaining about new developments, and trying to get them killed, but it's clear that things are advancing one way or another despite their complaints and wishes. The more housing, the more competition, and the likelihood rent won't increase as fast as supply is attempting to keep up with demand.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I think Mac is the last one left that needs to come back from the dead and we're all caught up, atleast from my time in the Rag
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Fountains wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:43 pm Going through without incentives awesome
Yeah. Alot more been happening in the pipelie recently. Seems like things are starting to heat up again.

Cc: @earthling
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:57 pm *Lux plan falls apart in May*
5 pages about why KC is ruining itself and going to hell

*Lux plan passes in September*
Silence
Welcome to the rag!

Let's look back at the voice of reason though: viewtopic.php?p=640985#p640985
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Fountains wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:39 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:02 pm
No one said the incentive request isn't happening
That's not what the news reported
https://www.kcur.org/news/2022-09-07/b ... om-port-kc
Port KC president and chief executive Jon Stephens said Lux Living recently withdrew its requests for any incentives and notified the port authority the team doesn’t intend to pursue any exemptions from the port or any other entities.

“Therefore, the project is anticipated to be a privately funded, market rate project,” Stephens said in an email.