OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by normalthings »

Tourist boat rides are coming back. A group of investors have purchased boats and are renovating them. They will set sail from the base of the Rock Island Bridge redevelopment
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:44 pm Tourist boat rides are coming back. A group of investors have purchased boats and are renovating them. They will set sail from the base of the Rock Island Bridge redevelopment
They’re really moving on river transit stuff now, eh? First the cruise inquiry news, and now this? Nice
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:40 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:44 pm Tourist boat rides are coming back. A group of investors have purchased boats and are renovating them. They will set sail from the base of the Rock Island Bridge redevelopment
They’re really moving on river transit stuff now, eh? First the cruise inquiry news, and now this? Nice
That whole development seems like vaporware. I'd love to see it just seems a longshot rn
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:09 am
That whole development seems like vaporware. I'd love to see it just seems a longshot rn
Seems like it has some legs. https://cityscenekc.com/entertainment-p ... -up-steam/
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Idk. In my time here people say alot of stuff on this board is vaporware and then stuff ends up happening.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:52 am

Idk. In my time here people say alot of stuff on this board is vaporware and then stuff ends up happening.
Well...

I can't think of too many sizeable private sector projects that have materialized outside the cordish towers. Most of the areas around the Kauffman Center and T-Mobile have barely changed in over a decade now and there have been quite a few projects proposed.

The W&R building came out of nowhere and is one of the exceptions, but I still feel like W&R knew they were about to be bought out while they were negotiating the incentives for that. At least it happened and there is a new structure downtown.

But yeah, going back to the 1990's, I would say 80-90% of the new construction that's been proposed that's not just 5 story wood frame apartments has not materialized. So that's why people don't really get too exciting about renderings anymore.

It does sound like this project might have a chance though. I think the main reason it does have a chance is the bistate location. It's finally an example of how the states can actually work together on something.

This is not really a huge project. With help from KCMO and KCK and probably both states, they should be able to pull off this relatively small project. The best thing about this is it's getting the cities to get some sort of ball rolling with urban recreational infrastructure which KC still sorely lacks.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:36 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:28 pm
im2kull wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:22 pm Surprised to see that nobody's posted the big news on here yet..
What’s the news?
Could it be that the Lux Living proposal has been submitted for review and shows up on Compass now?
So is the project dead or will Lux come back with no affordable units and try again with no incentives?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kevin Collison reports the Lux Living project on the riverfront was denied by Port KC.

https://twitter.com/cityscenekc/status/ ... xGOESGmiKg
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Wow if this project dies, I would really start to worry about development in urban kcmo. And you guys think development is a sure thing around a new stadium?
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

GRID wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:15 pm Wow if this project dies, I would really start to worry about development in urban kcmo. And you guys think development is a sure thing around a new stadium?
Only with vigilant educated leadership that knows how to properly communicate. Otherwise KC may stop growing its urban core.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

daGOAT wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:25 pm
GRID wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:15 pm Wow if this project dies, I would really start to worry about development in urban kcmo. And you guys think development is a sure thing around a new stadium?
Only with vigilant educated leadership that knows how to properly communicate. Otherwise KC may stop growing its urban core.
The city AND landlords both truly need to work on their messaging. Find a way to engage KC Tenants earlier in a development or form a community that will present a different public opinion in these meetings.

I don't know if the KC Tenants organization would be interested in that. But something has to give
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Or just ignore them... They don't have any clout that's not being given to them.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

PortKC: cowards
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

daGOAT wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:49 pm Or just ignore them... They don't have any clout that's not being given to them.
Yeah. But they're getting a following full of commited members that are willing to consistently show up at meetings. I think our politics has shown that is enough to have clout with elected officials
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Ignoring this problem won't make it go away. Especially at this point when they have some momentum
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

At Monday’s board meeting, commissioner Henok Tekeste, who originally seconded a motion to approve issuing the bonds, withdrew that second after lengthy public testimony.

“The school district is not happy. The tenants association is not happy,” Tekeste said. “I mean, what are we doing really?”
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... rylink=cpy
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

So the school district is happy with 0$ in tax revenue this parcel currently generates and KC Tenants is happy with even fewer housing units going up, while the number of people competing for existing housing stock is still climbing. Can ANYONE here make it make sense?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:22 pm So the school district is happy with 0$ in tax revenue this parcel currently generates and KC Tenants is happy with even fewer housing units going up, while the number of people competing for existing housing stock is still climbing. Can ANYONE here make it make sense?
It's called leverage. KC Tenants apparently has it until someone changes the narrative.

The district thinks the developer will come back with a better offer. They are probably right.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I mean the politicians should learn to ignore them. KC Tenants prey on peoples inner prejudices and shows how flawed the system is to begin with. I would have no problem listening to their points and keeping my vote based on proven logic.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

daGOAT wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:52 pm I mean the politicians should learn to ignore them. KC Tenants prey on peoples inner prejudices and shows how flawed the system is to begin with. I would have no problem listening to their points and keeping my vote based on proven logic.
Politicians don't like heat.

Someone needs to take the heat off of them with a different, loud narrative.