OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

grovester wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:51 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:22 pm So the school district is happy with 0$ in tax revenue this parcel currently generates and KC Tenants is happy with even fewer housing units going up, while the number of people competing for existing housing stock is still climbing. Can ANYONE here make it make sense?
It's called leverage. KC Tenants apparently has it until someone changes the narrative.

The district thinks the developer will come back with a better offer. They are probably right.
What could be done to shift this narrative? The direction that development has been going in KC recently, as well as the current economic state, this issue is starting to shift from mildly annoying to genuinely concerning
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:22 pm So the school district is happy with 0$ in tax revenue this parcel currently generates and KC Tenants is happy with even fewer housing units going up, while the number of people competing for existing housing stock is still climbing. Can ANYONE here make it make sense?
It's called leverage. KC Tenants apparently has it until someone changes the narrative.

The district thinks the developer will come back with a better offer. They are probably right.
Armour and Main hasn’t. 3rd & Grand hasn’t. $0 until then.
Not unusual for lots to sit vacant for decades downtown.

Katz had to pull a stunt out of their playbook to get through.

There has to be a better way.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:56 pm

What could be done to shift this narrative? The direction that development has been going in KC recently, as well as the current economic state, this issue is starting to shift from mildly annoying to genuinely concerning
Well it can't be the developers since they're greedy, but some sort of green/progressive group could probably come up with a competing narrative.

It seems that our TOD aware groups tend to assume people will do the right thing or don't want to play favorites with development projects.

They also will need to play by the current rules, which means showing up at meetings and being obnoxious when it's called for.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

What the hell?? So in a span of 5 months we’ve killed Mac, River Market & now Riverfront project? And we barely got Katz across the line. This is just nuts and I don’t get why they’re turning against development now.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Mon May 16, 2022 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

It's not dead until I post it is. This is a hiccup. Give it time.

PortKC was pushing hard for this one since it represents a dense infill opportunity that produces millions in new tax revenue when there previously wasn't an and helps fill out this part of Berkley Park. I doubt they would want it killed all of a sudden. I guarantee that if it was brought up for a vote anyway that the project would've been approved.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Stadium project now $120 million. Apply for $6 million state tax credit.
WHEREAS, Port KC has entered into an agreement with KC WFC STADCO, LLC for the lease of the Parcel 8 of the Berkley Riverfront area to provide for the development of an 11,500-capacity stadium to be primarily used by Kansas City’s local National Women’s Soccer League affiliate, the Kansas City Current (the “Current”); and

WHEREAS, the stadium, which represents almost $120 million dollars in new investment in the riverfront, will be an anchor entertainment amenity, accelerating further development of the Berkley Riverfront into a fully established vibrant, dense, walkable, urban area, and the project will include substantial improvements, including millions of dollars in investment in public infrastructure improvements, that are expected to prepare additional vacant parcels in the Berkley Riverfront area for future development; and

WHEREAS, the announcement of the proposed stadium has already led to inquiries from other developers considering projects in the Berkley Riverfront area; and...............

WHEREAS, the stadium will also serve as a venue for men's and women's prep, collegiate, amateur, and professional matches, and tournaments for soccer and other sports, as well as for outdoor concerts and other entertainment attractions; and

AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

In 2022, I think we may have actually killed more projects than we've approved
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:01 pm It's not dead until I post it is. This is a hiccup. Give it time.

PortKC was pushing hard for this one since it represents a dense infill opportunity that produces millions in new tax revenue when there previously wasn't an and helps fill out this part of Berkley Park. I doubt they would want it killed all of a sudden. I guarantee that if it was brought up for a vote anyway that the project would've been approved.
Will it just come back with no affordable units and zero incentives?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

daGOAT wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:48 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:01 pm It's not dead until I post it is. This is a hiccup. Give it time.

Will it just come back with no affordable units and zero incentives?
Can't say just yet. Just remember, the Katz came back after its incentive request was initially shot down. It still got incentives at the end of the day under different terms. The incentive request for this project was endorsed at the previous meeting and when it came up for a vote, the motion was pulled. It doesn't mean, at least in my view, that the incentive request is dead. Just it's paused and likely more talks will be needed to bring this to a full vote.

The School District will only be happy if a project seeks zero incentives of any kind, and I get that but outrage over this project was unwarranted since the land contributes nothing to any city department now.

KC Tenants will hate and oppose every single new and rehab project in town if it doesn't include free housing. They're communists and you can't reason with them. It's best to push them to the side and not give them any more attention that they crave. At the end of the day, their antics will eventually see them shoved out with the same residents they claim to be defending because of their stupidity and inability to understand basic supply and demand rules.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Can Jon Stephens or somebody just fire the board at PortKC? I don't understand how we let every agency get filled with anti-dev people. We still haven't heard a peep from Mac.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Origin hotel also did not receive enough votes and may be dead
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:56 pm Origin hotel also did not receive enough votes and may be dead
Wtf are they against hotels for now?? That's not even housing
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:47 pm Can Jon Stephens or somebody just fire the board at PortKC? I don't understand how we let every agency get filled with anti-dev people. We still haven't heard a peep from Mac.
I don’t really know how these projects develop but has PortKC not been helping bring dense, TOD projects that are as tall as the FAA will allow? Seems like this iteration of Port KC has a good plan.

Just need to stick to the vision they have
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:57 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:56 pm Origin hotel also did not receive enough votes and may be dead
Wtf are they against hotels for now?? That's not even housing
Wait what?? Ok nevermind
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I feel so bad for the river market & shoreline. They had Ashland, Origin, Delaware & Lux are all get murdered in the last 5 months. That area just cannot seem to get any projects and idk why because it’s the best district in the city.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

Anyway we could get in contact with these people and give them hell? We have a voice too.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

trexel94 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:12 pm Anyway we could get in contact with these people and give them hell? We have a voice too.
LCRA, PIEA, Port KC, etc are faced with a room filled with KC Tenants screaming against projects every time something comes up. No one comes and screams in support of projects.

https://portkc.com/governance/board-of-comissioners/
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

normalthings wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:14 pm
trexel94 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:12 pm Anyway we could get in contact with these people and give them hell? We have a voice too.
LCRA, PIEA, Port KC, etc are faced with a room filled with KC Tenants screaming against projects every time something comes up. No one comes and screams in support of projects.

Well its about time KCRag organizes and shows up in support. It could have an impact.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

trexel94 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:18 pm

Well its about time KCRag organizes and shows up in support. It could have an impact.
Agreed. I think its time we bombard them with emails. There's a huge contingency out there who wants development just as much as KC Tenants is against it. I know daGoat will be on board.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:25 pm
trexel94 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:18 pm

Agreed. I think its time we bombard them with emails. There's a huge contingency out there who wants development just as much as KC Tenants is against it. I know daGoat will be on board.
Just tell me when and where