OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by atticus23 »

What exactly comes through the port in KC? I didn't think it was big enough to handle a lot of tonnage...?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

And that says nothing about the facility proposed east of 485 on the east side of KC.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

atticus23 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:58 am What exactly comes through the port in KC? I didn't think it was big enough to handle a lot of tonnage...?
Low value commodities with minimal urgency. Slag, asphalt, coal, steel, scrap, grains, fertilizers, limited fuels
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

I actually went to the port's website and educated myself. I really had no idea that they were doing that much stuff to get it up and running. Again, thank you all for your insight.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

In case anyone missed the news. Streetcar Riverfront Extension Cost Jumps 65 percent

Bottom line:
Gerend said project add-ons include extending it closer to the KC Current soccer stadium; building double tracks between the riverfront and streetcar maintenance facility, and larger than anticipated costs laying tracks on the Grand Viaduct.
https://cityscenekc.com/streetcar-river ... 5-percent/

It's unfortunate that we have to resort to private donors to build transit in Kansas City.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Even with the price increase I’d still say it’s worth it, especially the full double trackage. Building any element at a value scale but only building it for partial functionality is shooting yourself in the foot.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Bar K acquisition/HQ relocation to Arizona has fallen through. HQ remains in KC, unsure what this means for future growth of the company and existing locations.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:04 pm Bar K acquisition/HQ relocation to Arizona has fallen through. HQ remains in KC, unsure what this means for future growth of the company and existing locations.
Good news short term at least
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

any idea why they left for AZ in the first place? Just looking to get to a better climate? Looking at Western States/ West Coast as a better fit for their product/brand? Honestly I would think cost to operate in AZ much higher than KC. But who knows.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:02 am any idea why they left for AZ in the first place? Just looking to get to a better climate? Looking at Western States/ West Coast as a better fit for their product/brand? Honestly I would think cost to operate in AZ much higher than KC. But who knows.
Probably the person making the acquisition lives in AZ.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:02 am any idea why they left for AZ in the first place? Just looking to get to a better climate? Looking at Western States/ West Coast as a better fit for their product/brand? Honestly I would think cost to operate in AZ much higher than KC. But who knows.
The company that was set to buy them is headquartered in Scottsdale
Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

langosta wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:08 am
atticus23 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:58 am What exactly comes through the port in KC? I didn't think it was big enough to handle a lot of tonnage...?
Low value commodities with minimal urgency. Slag, asphalt, coal, steel, scrap, grains, fertilizers, limited fuels
Nothing that couldn't be transported by rail. What's the economic benefit to KC for the costs of water transportation of these "low-cost commodities"? In order for this to occur, the Corps of Engineers must "channelize" the Missouri River to keep the shipping channel scoured by artificially increasing the speed of the current. This increased speed prevents any recreational use of the river from Omaha to St.Louis. A win (and federal subsidy) for the barge companies. For too long Kansas City turned its back on the Riverfront, it's time for KC to be able to engage with and enjoy the river. Channelization also has serious environmental impacts by preventing natural wetlands, which provide wildlife habitat and ameliorate the severity of high water flooding. We could remove the levees that block views and use of the river. Are a few scrap metal barges worth it?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Pastense wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:40 am
Nothing that couldn't be transported by rail. What's the economic benefit to KC for the costs of water transportation of these "low-cost commodities"? In order for this to occur, the Corps of Engineers must "channelize" the Missouri River to keep the shipping channel scoured by artificially increasing the speed of the current. This increased speed prevents any recreational use of the river from Omaha to St.Louis. A win (and federal subsidy) for the barge companies. For too long Kansas City turned its back on the Riverfront, it's time for KC to be able to engage with and enjoy the river. Channelization also has serious environmental impacts by preventing natural wetlands, which provide wildlife habitat and ameliorate the severity of high water flooding. We could remove the levees that block views and use of the river. Are a few scrap metal barges worth it?
There are plenty of users along the river between Omaha and STL. Giving up a channelized river is a bigger lift than just closing Port KC.

I mean they are wanting to expand the river system to containers at some point even. The hope is that newer designs will allow faster speeds and make the river a competitor to rail and truck for more premium cargos.

River transport is lower carbon compared to rail and highway.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Pastense wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:40 am
If we’re arguing for environmental benefits, but not acknowledging the vast difference in carbon output between rail and barge transport for bulk goods you’ve basically lost all your leverage.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

not to mention rail is pretty much at capacity, and the roads aren't doing that much better. Moving all that to rail and road would overwhelm the system.
Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

Just saying that the river could be a greater recreational and aesthetic resource to KC if it were not managed for the benefit of the barge companies. Without facts concerning tonnage now transported I remain unconvinced regarding environmental trade-offs; just as the environmental benefits of dam removal in the West outweighs the loss of incremental water power generation. Wild rivers are better.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The amount of biodiversity that was killed off by engineering the river was catastrophic. It could all be remediated but that would require caring…so tough sell in this climate
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Anyone interested in the management of the big middle American rivers and what is actually going on should read Holding Back the River by Tyler Kelley.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

chingon wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:34 am Anyone interested in the management of the big middle American rivers and what is actually going on should read Holding Back the River by Tyler Kelley.
Also The Control of Nature by John McPhee