OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by daGOAT »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:15 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:21 am I don't guess I see much of a slowdown. Covid definitely knocked things down a bit but I don't see how Q can take the blame for that. Several office to residential conversions, streetcar expansion, Riverfront development, airport rebuild, an attempt wrestle police control away from the state, hired Platt who has done some great things, convention center built, Bond bridge, movement on highway removals, possible DT baseball stadium. What did Sly accomplish? He implemented some of Barnes items like Sprint Center and P&L. I'm sure a lot of these items overlap.
I'm starting to regret starting this convo about a slight dry-spell. It unleashed the demons of pessimism, of which there were already too many of on this board, and now it's just annoying like always.
Pessimism or realism? Its totally cool to question how well our civic leaders perform especially when they hold back a high potential city that we all love.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

daGOAT wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:56 pm
Pessimism or realism? Its totally cool to question how well our civic leaders perform especially when they hold back a high potential city that we all love.
Pessimism.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

Not every mayor's goal is this forum's goal. Gotta be okay with that. Doesn't make them bad mayors

Funk was a bad mayor

Preach it
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:37 pm
Pessimism.
You gotta think it takes a certain kinda individual to ask the hard questions and try to find a solution. I'm not sold there are very many of those types of individuals in City Hall rn and it def. holds back the city. The pessimism comes from the depressive unconfident individuals who don't have much heart, confidence, or understanding to begin with. Then again I don't get shook up very easy so I'm biased but I think a guy like me could do the mayors job, as a matter of fact if I was a career politician I bet I would do a better job than Q under the exact same circumstances. To put it bluntly, a guy like me would get shit done.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

daGOAT wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:48 am
Pessimism.
You gotta think it takes a certain kinda individual to ask the hard questions and try to find a solution. I'm not sold there are very many of those types of individuals in City Hall rn and it def. holds back the city. The pessimism comes from the depressive unconfident individuals who don't have much heart, confidence, or understanding to begin with. Then again I don't get shook up very easy so I'm biased but I think a guy like me could do the mayors job, as a matter of fact if I was a career politician I bet I would do a better job than Q under the exact same circumstances. To put it bluntly, a guy like me would get shit done.
When’s the campaign start?
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:43 am
daGOAT wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:48 am

Pessimism.
When’s the campaign start?
Idk. I'm still young covered in tattoos and studying film in Los Angeles lol. I gotta bit of growing up to do before I could be the kind of leader the beautiful people of Kansas City, Missouri deserve. The seed has been planted since I was a teenager though.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

I just wish more people in local politics actually had a spine to stand up and actually take charge and look for ways to get stuff done, rather than collapsing or giving in to the loudest person in the room.

I also wish our politicians in general were more aggressive in getting things done, but we can only wish.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

SilentSpades24 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:46 pm I just wish more people in local politics actually had a spine to stand up and actually take charge and look for ways to get stuff done, rather than collapsing or giving in to the loudest person in the room.

I also wish our politicians in general were more aggressive in getting things done, but we can only wish.
You're right it would make a huge difference! The real problem I see is the disconnect between North v South, Urban v Suburban, Rich v Poor, Liberal v Conservative, the list goes on and on. There has to be someone with courage to take the criticism and still do the right thing, Sly James is a great example. Someone who prioritizes the people, services, and infrastructure but not at the sake of shooting down developments because they're greedy for tax dollars when they're actually strapped for cash, and anything would help (which has zero logic).
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KC Current stadium will be expandable to 20,500 seats. I think that’s a jump from before
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:19 pm KC Current stadium will be expandable to 20,500 seats. I think that’s a jump from before
Significantly
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverfront hotel incentives approved
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:51 pm Riverfront hotel incentives approved
..the Lux Living giant complex ones?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:18 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:51 pm Riverfront hotel incentives approved
The Origin Hotel on the parcel that’s just east of the Union building.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:26 pm
How does that get incentives but not Lux?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:37 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:26 pm

How does that get incentives but not Lux?
Could be a number of factors. Each developer is different and has different reputations. One is housing and the other is hospitality. So only one needs to comply with city rules on affordable housing and incentives.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

Development plan for the st. louis developer project was canceled
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Walker wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:06 pm Development plan for the st. louis developer project was canceled
That big dense project next to the streetcar line? So they approved a little motel with a parking lot, but not that? I don't get it. The stadium will be nice down there I guess, but man that riverfront is not turning out anything like what I would have hoped for.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

GRID wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:57 pm
Walker wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:06 pm Development plan for the st. louis developer project was canceled
That big dense project next to the streetcar line? So they approved a little motel with a parking lot, but not that? I don't get it. The stadium will be nice down there I guess, but man that riverfront is not turning out anything like what I would have hoped for.
I keep thinking that if it was fully canceled, then they're probably refocusing efforts on the Freighthouse project (which already has incentives attached to it). If Lux walked away from the Riverfront, I fully expect someone else to step in and take over that site.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:36 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:57 pm
I keep thinking that if it was fully canceled, then they're probably refocusing efforts on the Freighthouse project (which already has incentives attached to it). If Lux walked away from the Riverfront, I fully expect someone else to step in and take over that site.
I agree Chris. With the streetcar & stadium being right there, this is just a no-brainer project for someone. I can't imagine this stays down for long for a developer.

Could actually turn into a positive if this allows Lux to finally focus on Freighthouse & someone else ends up picking up the riverfront project anyways.
cityscenekc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cityscenekc »

The Lux Living riverfront project is in limbo because the board never took action on its incentive request. There's still discussions underway, but I agree that if it does go away, another developer likely will be found in the not too distant future.
https://cityscenekc.com/lux-living-rive ... ion-balks/