OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by normalthings »

Pastense wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:25 am Very interesting. Is this a new era of "shopping" the statutory agencies for tax abatement? Now the Port Authority and KCATA are tax abatement-friendly and the PIEA is anti-development?
City agencies are poorly staffed and unmotivated. The other organizations are easier to work with and faster
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Officials add tenant protections for Lux Living apartments at Berkley Riverfront

But first, the Port Authority of Kansas City's development committee on Monday publicly sifted through a rash of reported concerns involving Lux Living's past projects in its hometown, including their cleanliness, maintenance and security.

Officials explained a new series of tenant protections they could enforce if similar issues arose at the 251-unit community Lux now looks to build on the riverfront's Parcel 12B.

Development and incentive compliance agreements say Port KC could step in if there are unresolved property code violations; liability in civil or criminal legal proceedings; higher-than-average vacancy or turnover rates; or misconduct allegations from multiple, unrelated tenants.
Failing those steps, penalties could ensue. Port KC could replace Lux's property management with a third-party group or cancel its property tax exemption, which is valued at $12.6 million over its lifespan.
Port KC commissioners are scheduled next week to consider incentive approval for Lux's riverfront project.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... CSltWVN9Ls
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^That's a fair move and people I've talked to seemed to welcome that idea.

FYI: PortKC officials made an unannounced visit to Lux properties in St. Louis to figure out the situation with the negative press in recent weeks. What they found did not substantiate the claims in those articles. As I've said on here a few posts ago, I'm involved of the reshaping of the company as it enters the KC market and with this reshaping comes a series of positive changes that'll be applied across the board. Lux is coming into Kansas City open to new ideas and willing to innovate and integrate. What will be done here will be fun for everyone at the company and, hopefully, the community. I might be doing my own things on the side (as is the intention) but those things won't compete with Lux as much as they'll add density to the community.

And in response to some STL Twitter people complaining that PortKC did not rigorously vet Lux Living, my response is this: I feel that it's extremely rigorous to travel 3.5-4 hours across the state and spend an entire day touring properties and interviewing residents to get down to the bottom of claims. The visit was done in health inspection style so that people couldn't rush around to hide things that could be an issue. Showing up unannounced is how you get answers. Throw in the fact that the Ixia/SEC issue was addressed privately before and you get a pretty in-depth look at what's going on that hopefully led to some satisfying conclusions. If some remain concerned about management, I'll just say what I said before - things will be changing for the better very soon. I assure you.

Stay tuned for more.

Bits from CityScene KC Kevin Collison..
"Jon Stephens, Port KC executive director, and Krishan Purvis, senior development manager, hit the road last week and visited four Lux Living apartment developments including one under construction and one that had recently been sold.

Purvis told the Port KC Development Committee the pair informed Lux Living execs they were coming, but didn’t say which projects they would be touring and when. They then interviewed residents, maintenance staff and St. Louis development officials.

They came back satisfied with the responses they received, saying most people they interviewed praised the quality and cleanliness of the developments, their amenities and how quickly maintenance issues were resolved.

“We’re not saying there’s no bad things that have happened in the past,” Purvis said, “but the time we were there all day from 8- to 5 checking out these properties there was no evidence to substantiate what was written in those articles.

“We have taken the serious allegations in those articles into consideration, we did do significant due diligence in investigating via the site tour and we’ve built in protections in our legal documents.”
https://cityscenekc.com/after-some-sleu ... ment-plan/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Port KC meeting with Viking river cruises.

https://twitter.com/rockhillstrat/stat ... TeuU1wP0g
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:20 pm Port KC meeting with Viking river cruises.

Ohh????
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:20 pm Port KC meeting with Viking river cruises.

THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Missouri needs to start building castles and huge cathedrals on bluffs along the Missouri. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OF_V9mvMNk
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I can't imagine doing something like a midwest viking river cruise but whatever, sounds good to look into.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:55 am I can't imagine doing something like a midwest viking river cruise but whatever, sounds good to look into.
The rivers of the Midwest were the main route of commerce and transit across the U.S. until rail, there is a massive amount of history to cover across the area
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not my thing but all for exploring making it possible. Seems like a instant positive if we can upgrade the port to host them on a new line.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:09 am Not my thing but all for exploring making it possible. Seems like a instant positive if we can upgrade the port to host them on a new line.
Definitely something that would instantly give KC a good boost off the bat.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The same conditions that sank the Arabia and countless others still exists on the MO. Kansas City cannot even support a river excursion boat that so many other river cities large and small have. While there could be some interesting ports of call for the most of time the view from the river when one can see through the trees lining it is of endless flood plain. River cruises start and end at cities with major airports. That would make a KC to St. Charles route most likely with ports of call such as Lexington, Booneville, Jeff City, and Hermann likely. They often offer optional expense ventures to attractions a short distance from the port, could be to such things as ranch where they raise the Clydesdales. Viking is a premium cost line so you would be paying twice the cost of similar cabin and services on a huge ocean liner.
Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

I know it may be futile, but I'd love to see a computation of the value (financial and environmental) of allowing the Missouri to return to its natural state and encouragement of the recreational use of the river currently (no pun) prevented by the channelization needed for shipping. Is there really an economic benefit to Kansas City from the often-touted competition created between rail and river-borne commodity transport? How much is the subsidy given to the barge companies by the Corps of Engineers activities? Just asking...
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The boon to wildlife and recreation would be tremendous. The outcry from farmers in the flood plain would be tremendous.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:09 am Not my thing but all for exploring making it possible. Seems like a instant positive if we can upgrade the port to host them on a new line.
How cool would it be if the cruise ship went up the Missouri River to the mountains in Montana? That whole route is beautiful.

I know they’re not able to do that, but you have to admit, that route would be worth seeing and doing.
Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

moderne wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:18 am The boon to wildlife and recreation would be tremendous. The outcry from farmers in the flood plain would be tremendous.
After floods in the '90's, the Corps bought farmland around Rocheport and removed the levees to restore floodplains.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:04 pm Officials add tenant protections for Lux Living apartments at Berkley Riverfront

But first, the Port Authority of Kansas City's development committee on Monday publicly sifted through a rash of reported concerns involving Lux Living's past projects in its hometown, including their cleanliness, maintenance and security.

Officials explained a new series of tenant protections they could enforce if similar issues arose at the 251-unit community Lux now looks to build on the riverfront's Parcel 12B.

Development and incentive compliance agreements say Port KC could step in if there are unresolved property code violations; liability in civil or criminal legal proceedings; higher-than-average vacancy or turnover rates; or misconduct allegations from multiple, unrelated tenants.
Failing those steps, penalties could ensue. Port KC could replace Lux's property management with a third-party group or cancel its property tax exemption, which is valued at $12.6 million over its lifespan.
Port KC commissioners are scheduled next week to consider incentive approval for Lux's riverfront project.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... CSltWVN9Ls
A lot of complaints stem from residents who move in before the building is complete.

I tried leasing from them a few years ago in one of their new projects. They made it very clear that the project was not fully complete and offered significant rent reductions for those who were willing to sign on early. It seemed like a fair trade to me.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Am I the only old person that remembers the KC Riverboat Cruises that first docked at the KCMO riverfront and then moved to the KCK riverfront at Kaw Point?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:27 pm Am I the only old person that remembers the KC Riverboat Cruises that first docked at the KCMO riverfront and then moved to the KCK riverfront at Kaw Point?
Depends...how old are you?
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I remember. And long after that, the Argosy gambling boat cruised. It can be done.