Power and Light District Official Tenant List

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Power and Light District Official Tenant List

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I bet they’ll have them all filled for the month of the World Cup too
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:45 am I bet they’ll have them all filled for the month of the World Cup too
I really hope by 2026 it’s filled up for more than just 1 or two months
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:51 am
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:45 am I bet they’ll have them all filled for the month of the World Cup too
I really hope by 2026 it’s filled up for more than just 1 or two months
Yeah. And there’s no way I believe they’re better off “waiting for a high end tenant” for literally a decade at that point than just getting it filled. There’s no way that’s more profitable.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Again, there needs to be some shame thrown at Cordish by our public officials that they have spaces in the district that have NEVER been rented almost a decade after the city helped fund P&L. This was a major city project. Other projects there would be an outrage if they weren't completed fully and serving the purpose they were built for. If they build BAP and don't put down grass for a decade or a new airport and the lights kept flickering. Cordish should be embarrassed and I don't really know why there aren't.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's been foolish leaving space empty for years and I've called Cordish out for it. The lack of revenue from these spaces that Cordish leaves vacant is a loss of tax revenue to help pay the bonds on the P&L District. Money that has to be made up from the Kansas City general fund. In some respects, Cordish can afford to let space sit vacant because the taxpayers are responsible for making up the shortage of tax revenue to service the bonds. If Cordish were responsible for paying that deficit, the space would be rented.

The 14th and Main space would have been perfect for a Cold Stone Creamery or Sheridan's Frozen Custard because those businesses are complementary to entertainment venues like PAC, T-Mobile Center, Municipal Auditorium, Mainstreet, Midland, and Copaken Stage as well as for hotel guests nearby in town for conventions.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

FangKC wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:58 pm It's been foolish leaving space empty for years and I've called Cordish out for it. The lack of revenue from these spaces that Cordish leaves vacant is a loss of tax revenue to help pay the bonds on the P&L District. Money that has to be made up from the Kansas City general fund. In some respects, Cordish can afford to let space sit vacant because the taxpayers are responsible for making up the shortage of tax revenue to service the bonds. If Cordish were responsible for paying that deficit, the space would be rented.

The 14th and Main space would have been perfect for a Cold Stone Creamery or Sheridan's Frozen Custard because those businesses are complementary to entertainment venues like PAC, T-Mobile Center, Municipal Auditorium, Mainstreet, Midland, and Copaken Stage as well as for hotel guests nearby in town for conventions.
When is the city off the hook for making up the shortage? I feel like we’re not going to get anywhere near full rental until we got close to that date.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I’m almost positive that cordish makes payments in lieu of taxes. That agreement is fucked.i don't know the terms. They should be renting it out.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:11 pm I’m almost positive that cordish makes payments in lieu of taxes. That agreement is fucked.i don't know the terms. They should be renting it out.
Yes, but it has to end sometime unless the city keeps extending it. When are we done with this shitty deal?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Denolish empty buildings. Put in parking
JohnKCMO
Can't Start New Threads
Can't Start New Threads

Post by JohnKCMO »

I've made multiple requests to rent 3-4,000 sq ft. of retail space for a family friendly store. Cordish just blew us off. I can only guess it's because we aren't a national chain.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

JohnKCMO wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:18 am I've made multiple requests to rent 3-4,000 sq ft. of retail space for a family friendly store. Cordish just blew us off. I can only guess it's because we aren't a national chain.
this is infuriating and would love for the media to run with a story like this.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:36 am
JohnKCMO wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:18 am I've made multiple requests to rent 3-4,000 sq ft. of retail space for a family friendly store. Cordish just blew us off. I can only guess it's because we aren't a national chain.
I really think they just want the whole district to be a larger version of the Live! block. Ax Throwing Bar, Sushi Bar, Wine Bar, Country square dance bar, Irish Bar.... There's just so much money to be made on alcohol. Drunk people don't care how much something costs.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hence shopping next to those places
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:39 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:36 am
I really think they just want the whole district to be a larger version of the Live! block. Ax Throwing Bar, Sushi Bar, Wine Bar, Country square dance bar, Irish Bar.... There's just so much money to be made on alcohol. Drunk people don't care how much something costs.
The tragic thing is that they control entire blocks of storefront and choose to leave them vacant. Imagine if the City gave an entire block of retail to one of our local entrepreneurs. I doubt you'd see it vacant. Pathetic.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

18th and vine showed them the answer. Fake storefronts!
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think cordish regrets the whole design of that area. I speculated they’ll slowly rebuild it but people there swear that’s not the case.

As always with cordish, it’s a black box. Everything they said is just belied by public evidence. They’ve shown their interest to be in residential development and not retail.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:15 pm I think cordish regrets the whole design of that area. I speculated they’ll slowly rebuild it but people there swear that’s not the case.

As always with cordish, it’s a black box. Everything they said is just belied by public evidence. They’ve shown their interest to be in residential development and not retail.
It's some aging Playboys wannbe fantasy zone. "Let's build nothing for families or neighbors. We'll focus on lots of alcohol places focused on coeds and penthouse suites."
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I’m not that cynical. It has a nice grocery store, movie theater, a few fast casual places, and sports bars. A nationally used outdoor space. Nice landscaping and outdoor areas.

I’m too old for the clubbing scene, but no issues with it.

My concern is more with the slow development
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:53 pm It has a nice grocery store, movie theater, a few fast casual places, and sports bars. A nationally used outdoor space. Nice landscaping and outdoor areas.
The grocery store was a must demand from the city to build the district. The movie theater wasn't developed by Cordish but they demanded it have a bar/ entertainment area in it when releasing it to AMC. The only fast casual place left is Chipotle.