OFFICIAL - Bartle Hall Expansion construction

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Bartle Hall Expansion construction

Post by NDTeve »

Do you guys use it for flights too?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

random night pic of the north dock through my windshield

KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
nemesis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by nemesis »

This is an extremely poor example of integrating art and architecture.  It is clear that neither the artist or the architect have any understanding of art or architecture as they have completely disregarded the core design principals of the existing building.  I hope that we will no longer allow such trite examples projects being given to people who don't deserve or are capable of contributing positively to our built environment.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I like it.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

nemesis wrote: This is an extremely poor example of integrating art and architecture.  It is clear that neither the artist or the architect have any understanding of art or architecture as they have completely disregarded the core design principals of the existing building.  I hope that we will no longer allow such trite examples projects being given to people who don't deserve or are capable of contributing positively to our built environment.
Congrats on the first post.  While it may not be the best form of art, there is only so much you can do to "beautify" the side of a massive structure like that.  I'd take it over a blank wall any day.  What would you have done...a mural??
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

nemesis wrote: This is an extremely poor example of integrating art and architecture.  It is clear that neither the artist or the architect have any understanding of art or architecture as they have completely disregarded the core design principals of the existing building.  I hope that we will no longer allow such trite examples projects being given to people who don't deserve or are capable of contributing positively to our built environment.
I like it too.  Remember, it's a loading dock.  It's not the Guggenheim
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KC-wildcat wrote: I like it too.  Remember, it's a loading dock.  It's not the Guggenheim
Well put.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
nemesis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by nemesis »

Well, I guess you made my point for me.  And you wonder why we will always be a second rate city?  "Hey, it's better than a loading dock, so it must be good"....................
Just because there is an artist involved, doesn't make it "art"
Just because it was really bad before doesn't make it "good"

It doesn't have to be a masterpiece.  I'm just saying there are far better artists and architects out there that would came up with a much better solution.  But until expectations like yours are changed, this is what we'll continue to see. 
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

nemesis wrote: Well, I guess you made my point for me.  And you wonder why we will always be a second rate city?  "Hey, it's better than a loading dock, so it must be good"....................

It doesn't have to be a masterpiece.  I'm just saying there are far better artists and architects out there that would came up with a much better solution.  But until expectations like yours are changed, this is what we'll continue to see. 
So what do you want buddy?  Art can only be 2% of a buildings budget.  You want us to plant some palm trees?  Get a grip...this is KC...if you want art goto the Nelson.
THINK (ONE) KC.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

1%
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: 1%
Damnit!
THINK (ONE) KC.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

im2kull wrote: So what do you want buddy?  Art can only be 2% of a buildings budget.  You want us to plant some palm trees?  Get a grip...this is KC...if you want art goto the Nelson.
that makes no sense.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

nemesis wrote: Well, I guess you made my point for me.  And you wonder why we will always be a second rate city?  "Hey, it's better than a loading dock, so it must be good"....................

I'm just saying that you should pick your battles.  

I too believe that Kansas Citians are often guilty of the "it's better than _______, so it must be good" mentality.  However, if you're going to make this point, give a better example than a loading dock.    
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

I think nemesis' original point was that he thought it didn't do a good job of integrating itself with the architecture.  In other words he's criticizing the quality of the art feature, not the fact that there's an art feature on the loading dock.... at least if i'm understanding that correctly.

The other issue is why there's a loading dock facing 12th street in the first place, but we'd have to take that up with the original architects of convention center.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KC-wildcat wrote: However, if you're going to make this point, give a better example than a loading dock.    
I would have to say it is one of the nicest loading docks I have ever seen - by that measure, I suppose you have to consider it a success.  About the only way to make it nicer would be to make it . . . not a loading dock at all. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

nemesis wrote: It doesn't have to be a masterpiece.  I'm just saying there are far better artists and architects out there that would came up with a much better solution.  But until expectations like yours are changed, this is what we'll continue to see. 
The Municipal Arts Commission is the entity that chooses the artwork for the project so your gripe would be with that entity.

Of course, what is art to one person might be a pile of s--- to another.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

ComandanteCero wrote: The other issue is why there's a loading dock facing 12th street in the first place, but we'd have to take that up with the original architects of convention center.
Of course you have to have a loading dock somewhere.  When Bartle was first built it had two loading docks, the one referenced above and the other one on 14th St.  Two docks were needed for various reasons (like one show using the hall on the north and the other show using a hall on the south).  So where would you have put it?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Of course you have to have a loading dock somewhere.  When Bartle was first built it had two loading docks, the one referenced above and the other one on 14th St.  Two docks were needed for various reasons (like one show using the hall on the north and the other show using a hall on the south).  So where would you have put it?
Underground like evil parking!
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

underground.

edit: yeah, what pumpkin said  :lol:
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Ok, now maybe we're all being a little to harsh.  I agree that it could be better, but once all is said and done we're lucky just to have what we do have to disquise it just a little.  I like it better than a blank wall, but hey, no hard feelings buddy. (nemesis)
Last edited by im2kull on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THINK (ONE) KC.