beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Re: beer.

Post by TrolliKC »

Having a brew at Chartreuse Saloon (16th and Oak) laid back during the week with a nacho bar. Pool hall & super kind folks - just remember the cash!
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

TrolliKC wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:25 pm Having a brew at Chartreuse Saloon (16th and Oak) laid back during the week with a nacho bar. Pool hall & super kind folks - just remember the cash!
Awesome spot. Nice selection of cans, friendly staff and a great layout for pool playing. I usually shoot pool there at least once a week.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

droopy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:59 pm Kboish’s list is a good one. Particularly given the walking tour request and neighborhood breakdown. Pull up Google Maps or untappd and do a map search for brewery around 18th and Oak. Enough within walking distance to fill a whole weekend.

Something if feel I need to understand for quality recommendations is what you want to drink as well. I see people recommend BKS and Alma Mader as “the best breweries in KC” all the time. They aren’t my favorites. I don’t particularly like hazy New England IPAs or flavoring in my beers…orange creamsicle peanut butter stout. No thank you. I’m a traditionalist flavor wise. BKS and Alma Mader also don’t have a vibe I connect with much (although I know bks has expanded since I last went there). They just feel colder and loud.

For more a good variety of more traditional styles i find myself at Stockyards (west bottoms) and River Bluff (river market) more often than anywhere else. I love Casual Animal for environment and always find a beer I like as well.
We did this walk Saturday. It was great. We only had time to visit 3 of the breweries: Casual Animal, Brewery Emperial and Torn Label. They were all great although we all agreed we liked Causal Animal the best (best atmosphere for certain - beer good too). We want to get back next time we have friends in town to visit the smaller breweries as well. They looked pretty interesting. KC needs to emphasize this more as an activity for visitors as there are so many in close proximity which makes it really practical. There were others doing the same and even a brewery tour bus (that we did not use). The area was kind of hopping. The only thing I'd add is that KC needs to work on the sidewalks in the area. Some were in horrible shape and there is no sidewalk on the final approach to Torn Label (which might be a little far afield for most people on foot but we had been told not to miss it and didn't mind the walk).
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

KC breweries won 2* medals at this year's Great American Beer Festival:

- BKS: gold in the English Mild/Bitter category for Rockhill & Locust
- City Barrel: bronze in the Juicy/Hazy IPA category for Rad AF

*River Bluff also won a medal (silver in the International Dark Lager category for Brother-Brother) and is listed as a St. Joe brewery, but this particular beer was made at their River Market location.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

City Barrel is buying Bier Station for a second location.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I really enjoyed Bier Station, i liked how you could get cheap small pours of something you might have never tried before and it won't break the bank. I don't mind City Barrel but i'm not the biggest fan in the world, the whole restaurant/brewery concept feels so outdated to me, i would rather just have them stick to beer at crossroads and do a small restaurant at the waldo location.