High Rises

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

High Rises

Post by im2kull »

Ok you guys, I'm starting to get confused in this part of the forum, theres way to much stuff happening.  Anyways I have a list of high rises I know are on the board, or are being built for the P&L district and the areas around them.  Does anybody know of what other plans there are, and if theres any forum topics for just those buildings.  Maybe somebody can make a sticky page like the master P&L plans, but instead do one for the high rises that are beggining to take shape.  I'm losing track of what all is going on with this area, and I want to see the progress in the way we have seen it in the forum topic for the H&R block headquarters.  It would be great to have the page with links to individual progress pages on each of the big (10 stories or more) buildings that are being constructed or are planned.

Heres all I can think of...
H&R Block
H&R Block II (heard something bout that)
All the residential P&L district buildings (arent they about to start on one, like 22 stories?)
Tesla building (next to P&L Building)
I dont know the name, but I just heard of a proposal for a condo building or something north of the P&L, opposite of the tesla building proposal.  Heres a link http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=235622

I cant wait to start seeing all these buildings pop up, its been forever since weve had some good construction going on downtown.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Re: High Rises

Post by Thrillcekr »

I thought the Tesla building was just a rumor at this point.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Thrillcekr wrote: I thought the Tesla building was just a rumor at this point.
Nope,
Gailord enterprises. is building 2 buildings next to P&L building, they just have to be approved.  Its on emporis (skyscrapers.com>kansas city> buildings>P&L Dist.)  and the tesla power thing is supposed to be for the arts and such part of the budget, plus they supposedly will rename P&L building to something else when these 2 towers are built next to it, I forgot what they said though.

Heres a link on emporius  to...
power and light district overview 
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/cx/?id=108418

the stuff around the real P&L building
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/cx/?id=108667
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I think the people who post that stuff tend to be a little overly optimistic. I would take anything I saw there with a giant grain of salt.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The only one on there other than HR Block that I'd bet money on getting built would be the first of the residential buildings.  After that, the market will drive what else happens.  HR Block Phase II won't happen if they don't continue to grow, the residential won't happen if there isn't a demand, and Tesla won't happen unless a company comes in and signs a lease.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

according to the Sasaki people, they thought the residential market downtown could probably absorb over 1200 more units without a problem.  So, if they build a 22 story, 1000 unit tower, i think they'll probably have sucked up the lion's share of what's left of the residential boom..... (which is to say, either they'll wait on the other towers, or build very scaled back versions)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

As long as jobs keep coming into the loop, the residential market should be sustainable.  Also, isn't there a forecast of 6,000 new jobs to the loop or greater downtown?
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

ComandanteCero wrote: according to the Sasaki people, they thought the residential market downtown could probably absorb over 1200 more units without a problem.  So, if they build a 22 story, 1000 unit tower, i think they'll probably have sucked up the lion's share of what's left of the residential boom..... (which is to say, either they'll wait on the other towers, or build very scaled back versions)
is it really a 1000 unit tower?  wow... that seems waayyy too big for 22 stories.  i mean, considering a comfortable square footage of 650 per unit, at an average of 45 units per floor, that would be 30000 square feet per floor, once you figure in the  shared spaces, mechanical, egress, stairs, and elevator.
at 30000 square feet, the building as a square would be 173 feet by 173 feet.
since most half blocks downtown are 142 feet wide, i would assume this buildings footprint would be something like 142 feet by 215 feet, and that would be one large block of building ( it would almost run the entire length of a block and would go all the way across half the block, and would be lacking in windows for the 45 units per floor.)

i assume the 22 story building would have something like 250-300 units, or less.  (in other words, to get to 1200 units, you could conceivably build 5-6 18-22 story towers.)  what do you guys think?
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

you're right, apparently the total number is going to be somehwere in the range of 1000-1200 units.  With 4-5 towers total, depending on how the first one does.... (quoting from the thread).  Your numbers look pretty good. (i'm going to double check the figures that Sasaki gave, it's feasible i fudged that too  #-o )
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

its cool!
one 1000 unit building would be pretty cool, just kind of massive!
i'll take 4 rectilinear ones any day!
:cheers:
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

^ no doubt!  Well, there's good news, double checking the Sasaki numbers, they think the following:
Based on these findings, an analysis of demand potentials
for market-rate housing over the next five years suggests
the potential for a solid increase in downtown housing in
the range of 1,300 units to as many as 2,500 new housing
units. Key variables governing the range include the business
and real estate cycle and an anticipated steady rise
in interest rates.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

It's not 1000 units, it's 1000 rooms, it's a hotel not a residential building...

Also there are about 5-6 residential towers planned for P&L.

Oh and don't rely on Emporis. They have a lot of misinformation on the buildings, especially the proposed buildings.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Heres a list:

H&R Block - 18 floors
H&R Block 2010 Expansion - 10 floors
P&L Housing 1 - 22 floors 200 units
P&L Housing 2 - 10-20 floors 200 units
P&L Housing 3 - 10-20 floors 200 units
P&L Housing 4 - 10-20 floors 200 units
P&L Housing 5 - 10-20 floors 200 units
P&L Housing 6 - 10-20 floors 200 units
Tesla Building (Haven't heard of this)
Truman Boulevard 1000 room Hotel - 30-45 floors
1034 Main - 40 floors (may not happen for even a couple decades)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Just the loop?

Midtown and Plaza have many on the drawing board too.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Not to mention Crown Center (of course, also Downtown).

CC has about 5-6 on the drawing board for the next 20-30 years.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

ComandanteCero wrote:So, if they build a 22 story, 1000 unit tower, i think they'll probably have sucked up the lion's share of what's left of the residential boom..... (which is to say, either they'll wait on the other towers, or build very scaled back versions)
The first tower is 200 units. The number of floors depends on the design of each floor, and 22 is by no means set in stone.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

I would love to have a Chicago style high rise complex with retail, restauraunts, and grocery on the ground levels.  Instead of having 4-5 midrise buildings down there, we should have 2-3 highrises, it would do wonders for the skyline of the city from the east/west.  It is funny, I was talking to my Dad about how bad the city skyline looked from I-70, putting two 30 something story towers in the south loop would go a long way to make it look better.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

jlbomega wrote: I would love to have a Chicago style high rise complex with retail, restauraunts, and grocery on the ground levels.  Instead of having 4-5 midrise buildings down there, we should have 2-3 highrises, it would do wonders for the skyline of the city from the east/west.  It is funny, I was talking to my Dad about how bad the city skyline looked from I-70, putting two 30 something story towers in the south loop would go a long way to make it look better.
The first P+L tower seems like it'll be quite urban. Whole Foods/Gourmet Grocer on the ground floor with service retailers on the rear ends and a large upscale gym on the second floor. Then 22 stories of apartments or condos all reportedly designed by a starchitect.  Nothing like this has been built in KCMO before.

I'd like to see the new Crown Center tower become an iconic building for that area. They should do something like 30+ floors and have some twisted modern design that changes the whole vision of Crown Center.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

I agreee with Michael.  Fill up the crossroads with some mid to high rises and connect downtown with crown center.  If you have ever been to Atlanta, they have something like that going on with downtown, midtown, and buckhead?  all connected with high rises making for an awesome skyline. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

hartliss wrote: I agreee with Michael.  Fill up the crossroads with some mid to high rises and connect downtown with crown center.  If you have ever been to Atlanta, they have something like that going on with downtown, midtown, and buckhead?  all connected with high rises making for an awesome skyline. 
If you follow recent threads around here, surface parking lots are vastly preferable to high rise buildings in the Crossroads according to conventional wisdom.