Chriz + his girl come to KC for the weekend. long + boring. do not read.

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Chriz + his girl come to KC for the weekend. long + boring. do not read.

Post by chrizow »

here is the rundown of my weekend in KC introducing my girlfriend to my parents as well as my hometown.  it was a success on both fronts.

FRIDAY

we rolled into town about 4, unpacked and freshened up, then headed into “the cityâ€
Last edited by chrizow on Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Chriz + his girl come to KC for the weekend. long + boring. do not read.

Post by KCK »

You really shouldn't have taken her out to Scottsdale/JOCO. If you marry this girl, she will make you move out there because it reminds her of home......lol

I think sometimes we judge KC far too harshly. Compared to sprawlers like Phoenix, or Charlotte, KC is leaps and bounds ahead in urban fabric and culture. I read the entire thing, the length does not bother me, and it was quite interesting. Of course I just want to remind you that you don't have to prove to anyone that KC sprawls Just As Good As Phoenix. We can keep that secret to ourselves.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Well, you should have hit the City Market -- that is an entirely different KC mega-experience like First Friday.  Other than giving money to Starbucks and PF Changs, sounds like a perfect weekend.  Glad you had fun and glad the lady enjoyed herself.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

staubio wrote:.  Other than giving money to Starbucks and PF Changs, sounds like a perfect weekend. 
haha.  blame my parents for their addiction to chain restaurants.  also my gf used to work at Starbucks and is mildly obsessed with it - plus the B+N Starbucks was the only place i could think of on the Plaza to buy travel mugs for our wine.  :)  i did make sure to point out that the Broadway starbucks was virtually empty while Broadway Cafe was bustling. 
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

cool tour Chriz.  Sounds like a good time had by all (i actually read the whole thing  :shock: lol).  I was running around First Friday around that same time when it seemed empty and a bust.  I had brought my entire family (various siblings were in town for the first time  in ages) and was worried it was going to be a bust.  However, we decided to give it a try, and sure enough, things warmed up nicely on the streets as we spent time looking at the art.  I would actually say this was one of the more enjoyable FF i've been to (not only because my fam was there) but also because i had more than enough time to wander through the galleries, look at the art, and even chat with some of the artists without feeling i was in someone's way or feeling claustrophobic because of too many people being packed in a little room.  By the time i was through seeing what i wanted to see the streets were packed.  So i got the best of both worlds (hehe, sparse galleries, packed streets). 

I'd make I checked out Cafe Rumi, which is on the 39th street row, i have to say their mediterranean food is head and shoulders better than Jerusalem Cafe (atleast based on comparing similar meals i've had at both places).  On your next visit maybe you can hit the CIty Market and the 39th Rest. Row to eat at Cafe Rumi. 
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

ComandanteCero wrote:
I'd make I checked out Cafe Rumi, which is on the 39th street row, i have to say their mediterranean food is head and shoulders better than Jerusalem Cafe (atleast based on comparing similar meals i've had at both places).  On your next visit maybe you can hit the CIty Market and the 39th Rest. Row to eat at Cafe Rumi. 
doh!  i wanted to try Cafe Rumi, but i hadn't heard anything about it and didn't want to risk taking her someplace that wasn't any good.  i'll have to do that next time. 

the vegetarian combo platter at Jerusalem Cafe is hard to beat though.  :)
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Sounds like fun. Shouldn't give money to panhandlers, though. They should go tell their sob stories to the shelters.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote: Sounds like fun. Shouldn't give money to panhandlers, though. They should go tell their sob stories to the shelters.
i am ok with giving money to them if they are nice.  i'd prefer they just said "can i have some money for a fifth of whiskey" than give me some story about needing bus fare to visit their ailing daughter in New Orleans, but whatever.  if i have some change i'll give it to them.  i'd rather contribute to their degeneracy than risk getting shivved.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

chrizow wrote: i am ok with giving money to them if they are nice.  i'd prefer they just said "can i have some money for a fifth of whiskey" than give me some story about needing bus fare to visit their ailing daughter in New Orleans, but whatever.  if i have some change i'll give it to them.  i'd rather contribute to their degeneracy than risk getting shivved.
A simple "I'm sorry man, I ain't got no money" in response is the best move.  If you level with them, they leave you alone.  Act like you'd like to help but can't.  Doing anything other than that is exacerbating a big problem.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

no tour of downtown north of the crossroads....like a "before" tour of the construction, etc?  QH, Library District, Garmet District and City Market are all alive and well and only getting better.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

I usually just say I only have my debit card, no cash (which 50% of the time is true).  Usually gets them off my back.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCPowercat wrote: no tour of downtown north of the crossroads....like a "before" tour of the construction, etc?  QH, Library District, Garmet District and City Market are all alive and well and only getting better.
sadly i don't think i know the inside-the-Loop area well enough to even show it to anyone.  i wanted to hit up City Market since that's when the River Market really shines, but alas the weather kept us in bed.  :)

besides, i get enough flak from her for being a "city nerd."  i dont think she'd be terribly interested in seeing 4 unfinished stories of the H+R Block HQ.  8)
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

chrizow wrote:   i wanted to hit up City Market since that's when the River Market really shines, but alas the weather kept us in bed.  :)
In bed together???

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Tosspot wrote: In bed together???
wouldn't you like to know?  8)
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

staubio wrote:A simple "I'm sorry man, I ain't got no money" in response is the best move.  If you level with them, they leave you alone.  Act like you'd like to help but can't.  Doing anything other than that is exacerbating a big problem.
When a panhandler walks up to me I usually say something to the effect of "Take a good look at me, I look poorer than you, and you are asking me for money?!?!"
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I say  "No.  Thanks"

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

heh.  if they're nice i say "sure, no problem."  (hand them change).  "take it easy."

they seem happy.  i am all about bringing happiness into the world.  :)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

happy to get another rock....biatch

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Chriz, do like I do, and when accosted by a beggar, utter a firm NO! It takes a little practice, but it pays off. Besides usually when I'm hit up for money, the panhandler is either some professional huckster like Jerry Mazar or some crack-addled deadbeat with crusted snot in his mustache.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

i've seen Jerry around downtown lately.....did he get booted from the plaza or has downtown ARRIVED?? :)