New Coaster coming to WOF

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: New Coaster coming to WOF

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Sad that they are selling Valleyfair as well, since it and Cedar Point were the original parks for the company, hence Cedar Fair.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Hell yesh, I would love to see someone actually own & operate WOF as if it wasn't just a feeder park for tem...(cash cow for the company to pork up Cedar Point).  We might actually get some quality rides, rather than this run-of-the-mill BS...not to mention getting back the parks identity.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

im2kull wrote: Hell yesh, I would love to see someone actually own & operate WOF as if it wasn't just a feeder park for tem...(cash cow for the company to pork up Cedar Point).  We might actually get some quality rides, rather than this run-of-the-mill BS...not to mention getting back the parks identity.
well i dont agree with you on the run of the mill stuff, CF has added more quality rides in 10 years than hunt midwest did in 25 years. CF added some seriously awesome rides there in the last decade. but i totally agree they destroyed and fucked up the theming. it is no longer a theme park. just a park with some rides.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Kansascity.com has a photo retrospective of WoF through the years:

http://www.kansascity.com/934/gallery/1075589.html
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kcdcchef wrote: well i dont agree with you on the run of the mill stuff, CF has added more quality rides in 10 years than hunt midwest did in 25 years. CF added some seriously awesome rides there in the last decade. but i totally agree they destroyed and fucked up the theming. it is no longer a theme park. just a park with some rides.
The destruction of the original "worlds" theme is easily the worst thing they did.  Granted we have gotten some decent rides, but they're nothing that you can't find in any other park...except maybe this years addition...which seems to be the first ride actually designed for WOF itself.  Sure, Hunt didn't do the best job...but they had innovative rides...like the first corkscrew coaster, the cable lift thing that ran across the park, etc, etc.  CF has added rides, and some good ones...but the fact of the matter is that we have yet to get a really, true, first class amusement ride since they've taken over.  Lately, they've been better at keeping the park up to date, but what about before 2003?  I can count the CF additions from hunts demise to 2003 on one hand, whereas the subtractions would take nearly 4 hands.  All CF had to do was keep the park maintained well, and they failed.  That's what cost us the rides we lost.  We all remember the shape that they let the Orient Express get into...lets not forget that.  Only lately have the even seemed to be remotely capable of running, maintaining, and growing the park.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I agree, why don't they bring back the theme?  Seems like that wouldn't cost any more than a major ride.  The park needs a basic upgrade anyway.

I wonder if they will ever combine the two parks and just make it a single admission?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

GRID wrote: I wonder if they will ever combine the two parks and just make it a single admission?
I've thought about that, but I don't really like the idea.  Making a single admission, with a 60-70% off additional park admission (same day) seems more fitting.  I guess its just that I actually like having two seperate parks..with a small common ground (the one water boat ride thing).  I don't know how well I could deal with having all the teenies rampaging back and forth between the WOF side & OOF side..and vice versa.  The last thing I want is to be sitting next to a wet dog on the detonator.

I do however, fully support >50% same-day discounts, with two fully seperate admissions.
THINK (ONE) KC.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The new owner should disassemble the rides and move the park to the north loop.  A downtown carnival would be better than those surface lots.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I wish it were closer in, maybe not there, but on the river or something.  Denver's Six Flags is really close to downtown.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Midtownkid wrote: I wish it were closer in, maybe not there, but on the river or something.  Denver's Six Flags is really close to downtown.
Jesus, it's 5-10 minutes from Downtown via 210.  Six flags in Denver sucks.

Six Flag StLouis is like an hour from their downtown.

I bought my son his first passport yesterday!
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

:evil:"JESUS!!!"  I love how you get mad everytime I say things are far from dt (like WOF or MCI).  Yeah they may not be that far away, but they are scattered enough to bother me.  I think the stadiums are far out too...is that ok?  I was just picturing the theme park rides along the river and how cool that would look.  (Yeah, yeah flooding may be a problem anyway.)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Midtownkid wrote: :evil:"JESUS!!!"  I love how you get mad everytime I say things are far from dt (like WOF or MCI).  Yeah they may not be that far away, but they are scattered enough to bother me.  I think the stadiums are far out too...is that ok?  I was just picturing the theme park rides along the river and how cool that would look.  (Yeah, yeah flooding may be a problem anyway.)
Sorry, I didn’t know I was only doing that to you.  WOF is pretty close to downtown, but still far enough away that it can be set in the woods.  Although it has lost much of the theming that the woods and terrain helped it create at one time.

It just bugs me that people complain about how far way KCI and WOF is.  WOF is closer to Downtown than Raytown is and KCI is a quick 15 minute drive from Downtown.

I would rather that than what Denver has.  A small, ugly, landlocked theme park in the middle of a parking lot, even though it is downtown.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

It's OK.  Yeah, being able to have the woods there and not having a sea of parking next to the river is a definite benefit. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I was not thinking of Denver , but more of Tivoli in Copenhagen. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

moderne wrote: I was not thinking of Denver , but more of Tivoli in Copenhagen.   
The original 1890's version of Elitch was built to be a clone of Tivoli and had much of that feel until they tore it down and went all corporate with a rebuild in another location in the 1990's. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

moderne wrote: I was not thinking of Denver , but more of Tivoli in Copenhagen.   
If you were thinking Tivoli, I'd suggest Penn Valley Park would be more appropriate than the North Loop.  Personally, I think that would be a great idea (although PVP is probably too hilly).  One thing I really enjoy about Tivoli is that it's only about half amusement park (which is much less high tech and thrill-oriented than WOF), an equal percentage is a garden area dotted with restaurants. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It could be placed in Harlem with some sort of Chastainian gondola to take people across the river to it.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Anyone have any updates on the coaster?  When do they open up out there?  Will it be ready?
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Anyone have any updates on the coaster?  When do they open up out there?  Will it be ready?
The park opens up next Saturday (4/19) and Prowler is set for grand opening on Saturday 5/2.

Updates, photos and web cam can be found at http://prowler.worldsoffun.com

Matt
Discover America's Theme Parks @ www.ThemeParksMagazine.com
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag