New Coaster coming to WOF

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: New Coaster coming to WOF

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

GRID wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:55 pm I don't see how the world cup has anything to do with WoF.
It obviously doesn’t directly, the point is Cedar Fair has regarded KC and WOF as a backwater for a good while now. I’m merely stating that global recognition would increase the status of KC, and that is absolutely going to lead to ancillary projects. It’s not BECAUSE the World Cup is coming to KC, but it’s because KC was selected that investment like that could begin to happen.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

gfenn11 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:22 pm Some rumblings online that WOF is finally getting a new coaster for the 50th anniversary (next year) in the area where Dinosaurs alive was. So far just grading plans submitted on Compass.

*Fingers crossed we get an RMC Raptor*
I think it's going to be a wooden coaster from what I've seen.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

dnweava wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:36 am
gfenn11 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:22 pm Some rumblings online that WOF is finally getting a new coaster for the 50th anniversary (next year) in the area where Dinosaurs alive was. So far just grading plans submitted on Compass.

If they do it half as good as the prowler, I'll still be very happy!
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

This is cool news. I went to WOF for the 1st time in like 25yrs with my kids about 2 weeks ago. My family got season passes and it took me back to when I had them in middle & high school. Still a nice place and was crowded. The cost was not too bad at all. At any rate anything they can do to continue to improve the attractions and amenities I'm all for. Honestly there may be a lot of this "minor" projects that get completed between now and the World Cup from entertainment, and retailers looking to cash in on the major event. Dust off projects that have been sitting around on the shelf and make some capital investments as such. The events events will only last a limited time but making the best impressions with visitors may mean some of them from the local area areas may come back or even those in other parts of the USA may decided to visit us more. Who knows? But This is a chance for KC to make a great impression on the USA and the world and look to benefit from it in terms of tourism, conventions, and being a host city for other events down the line, big and small
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Will be hard to prove if some minor improvements across board over next few years are due to WC hype but such hype can create more action than we might think otherwise. It can draw eyes from national investors (maybe even global) of various forms to at least look at KC that may not have considered in past. Some may not be new development but buying existing properties and upgrading them, like hotels.

KC needs to make most of the hype and keep the hype engine in motion.
cor88b
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cor88b »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:26 am This is cool news. I went to WOF for the 1st time in like 25yrs with my kids about 2 weeks ago. My family got season passes and it took me back to when I had them in middle & high school. Still a nice place and was crowded. The cost was not too bad at all. At any rate anything they can do to continue to improve the attractions and amenities I'm all for. Honestly there may be a lot of this "minor" projects that get completed between now and the World Cup from entertainment, and retailers looking to cash in on the major event. Dust off projects that have been sitting around on the shelf and make some capital investments as such. The events events will only last a limited time but making the best impressions with visitors may mean some of them from the local area areas may come back or even those in other parts of the USA may decided to visit us more. Who knows? But This is a chance for KC to make a great impression on the USA and the world and look to benefit from it in terms of tourism, conventions, and being a host city for other events down the line, big and small
I have passes too for the past few years. Im always shocked when people call it a dump, the place is still a nice park.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

i thought it was very nice, and they still have lots of room to make improvements, add attractions etc. Plus the passes were reasonable and some of the package deals for food and such are worth it. I was impressed with what they had going on, but I also took it for what it is, which is kind of a 3rd tier amusement park. Tier 1- Disney, Universal, etc. Tier 2 Six Flags, Tier WOF and similar. But the WOF can become a Six Flags type property easily with some more as it is not that far off. But for what it is I think it is great, but I'm not an amusement park guru by any means :)
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

It would be a tremendous backslide if WOF became a Six Flags park, not as nice as they once were. Thank Dan Snyder for that too.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Worlds of Fun is a lower tier park in the Cedar Fair chain, but still a nice park. It's just smaller and rarely gets new major rides. There are some Six Flags parks that are stepchilds of the chain too. I don't think WoF is any bigger or better than Six Flags StL and it's surely nicer and probably bigger than Six Flags America here in the DC area. So being part of the Six Flags chain probably won't help.

WoF really just needs 2-3 new major rides and it's right there with some of the nicer parks in the Cedar Fair chain.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:56 am It would be a tremendous backslide if WOF became a Six Flags park, not as nice as they once were. Thank Dan Snyder for that too.
what makes you think they'd do a better job? haven't been impressed with Six Flags STL
cor88b
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cor88b »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:08 pm i thought it was very nice, and they still have lots of room to make improvements, add attractions etc. Plus the passes were reasonable and some of the package deals for food and such are worth it. I was impressed with what they had going on, but I also took it for what it is, which is kind of a 3rd tier amusement park. Tier 1- Disney, Universal, etc. Tier 2 Six Flags, Tier WOF and similar. But the WOF can become a Six Flags type property easily with some more as it is not that far off. But for what it is I think it is great, but I'm not an amusement park guru by any means :)
absolutely, we get the meal plan every year on 2 of our 3 passes. Awesome deal and pays for itself after a few trips.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Wife and I had season passes for the past few years along with our daughter's family. With the annual meal plan (a very good deal) we would go to catch a meal sometimes two, walk around, people watch, and catch a few rides. Would occasionally take granddaughters to the WOF and OOF every year. Covid in 2020 and 2021 really did a number on WOF. This year we just stopped buying our annual passes. Food service suffered in many ways. The BBQ restaurant many times wouldn't have chicken available, its portions reduced, and sometimes would run out of other meat products. The Mexican restaurant at times wasn't much better. The Subway Restaurant wasn't open the past two years and when it was open beforehand it had a very limited menu. One time heard people complaining they waited in line over an hour to get food. Except for hamburgers and pizza the food selections just sucked. And the food service staff for the most part didn't seem to be well trained. The Halloween Haunt hasn't changed much over the years and the Christmas Fest didn't happen last year. Also some rides are down more often than working, the train was inoperable for two years or so, one of its newest rides never seemed to be working since it opened.
Also on occasions we would have season passes to Silver Dollar City. Between the two parks SDC is much better option. Of course SDC is open 9 1/2 months during the year and seven days a week 7 1/2 months of the year. Its daily attendance seems to surpass WOF/OOF. And its food choices far surpasses, in variety and taste, WOF/OOF. As far as rides go SDC surpasses WOF in that way also.
Not sure where WOF/OOF places on the Cedar Fair food chain bit it must not be very high. IMO WOF/OOF needs some serious investment, something I don't think Cedar Fair is willing or not able to do at this time.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:47 am As far as rides go SDC surpasses WOF in that way also.
Not sure where WOF/OOF places on the Cedar Fair food chain bit it must not be very high. IMO WOF/OOF needs some serious investment, something I don't think Cedar Fair is willing or not able to do at this time.
WOF is at the very bottom of their priority list. They are awful. Cedar Fair invests heavily in their other parks and do literally nothing for WOF, the reason why their foot traffic is down is because they haven't done anything to the park in 13 years. I refuse to go until I see them at least try.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

mister816 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:39 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:47 am As far as rides go SDC surpasses WOF in that way also.
WOF is at the very bottom of their priority list. They are awful. Cedar Fair invests heavily in their other parks and do literally nothing for WOF, the reason why their foot traffic is down is because they haven't done anything to the park in 13 years. I refuse to go until I see them at least try.
Over the past few years they have added 3 new rides but they are just takes on various carnival rides, nothing really exciting. One of the newer rides has never really operated consistently since being installed.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Can now 100% confirm, wooden coaster.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

dnweava wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:02 pm

New attraction site then? Or a replacement of an existing?
ztonyg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ztonyg »

mister816 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:39 pm
Cedar Fair really doesn't invest in any park not named Cedar Point, King's Island or Knott's Berry Farm.

They just sold their other California park Great America to a developer who will probably turn it into apartments and condos.
cor88b
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cor88b »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:33 pm

Thought I read it was possibly going in the old dinosaur alive spot. Which would be good to fill that spot.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

cor88b wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:12 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:33 pm

Thought I read it was possibly going in the old dinosaur alive spot. Which would be good to fill that spot.
They have had nothing there since the dinosaur alive thing right? Be a good fill if that’s the case
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:40 am
cor88b wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:12 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:33 pm New attraction site then? Or a replacement of an existing?
They have had nothing there since the dinosaur alive thing right? Be a good fill if that’s the case
it's great to fill that spot but do we need another woody next to prowler. i was hoping for something special... guess not