New Coaster coming to WOF

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: New Coaster coming to WOF

Post by trailerkid »

Highlander wrote: I think Cedar Fair's intentions are clear.  They've done nothing to keep the theme running but the problem is that they've let the ambience of the park fall off as well, particularly the landscaping.   Having a thrill ride park is fine but it makes it more of a place for teens and less a place for families.  WOF has been great as an attraction to the area for people from Iowa, OK, Kansas, Nebraska etc...   I do not think it will remain as much of a draw, especially in times of expensive travel, when all people are going to get is Fairlyland on steroids.   

Camp Snoopy, by the way, is very much a toddler park.  Now that my kids are in their teens, we don't even bother.  Frankly, I think the park is in dire need of at least 1-2 new thrill rides and a few "thematic" rides enjoyable by the entire family.  That's the advantage of a theme park, something like the "Pirates of the Caribbean" in Disneyland isn't a thrill ride but they make it interesting enough to be enjoyed by everyone in the family, even thrill-seeking teens.  WOF has nothing like that at all...nothing to bridge the gap between thrill and toddler except for maybe the log ride and the train neither of which are very interesting.  WOF has mostly been stagnant for the last 10 years but the direction is heading (creeping) is not where I'd like to see it go.  Perhaps Schlitterbahn will force them to make some changes.     
What should've been planned for WoF when Cedar Fair took over:

One country of the park should've been redesignated as the "thrill zone" where all the large coasters or thrill rides are located. This could've been a large expansion to the park to create one large zone that concentrates on competing with the Six Flags of the world.

If Cedar Fair actually had a vision for WoF it could've been an absolute jewel of an attraction today. Each country could've had a more detailed image and would be a "park within a park" concept. Each country could've felt like a small theme park within the larger park. I believe Hunt Midwest already had this in mind when the park began. Each country had an identity and a certain flavor that added to the overall experience with some elements mixed throughout the park. That identity for each country could be narrowed to appeal to couples, families, young adults, small children, etc. This would give the park a much more expansive reach in terms of attracting patrons-- something for everyone kind of angle. The park needs to return to being the type of place a family could take a destination vacation.

I'm thinking more along the lines of something Disney would execute and Cedar Fair is operating a glorified carnival midway with some flashy coasters. CF's conception of what this park is and what it can be is entirely off the mark. They celebrate things like plans to remodel all the restrooms.

Think about what a narrow market WoF is currently attracting...
I realize it is an entire industry problem, but there's no reason Kansas City couldn't have a great amusement park that residents can be proud of. I also realize there are currently very few amusement parks that achieve this goal. WoF has the potential, location, market, etc.
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

For those of you grumbling about wooden coasters, Timber Wolf fell into disrepair in the late 90s and early 00s. Over the last three years the park has put in a lot of time and money re-tracking the ride and giving it some of the TLC it has so desperately needed. You cannot compare a ride on Timber Wolf today with a ride that you may have taken four years go. If you haven't ridden it since its refurb, you should. (TIP: If you're looking for a smoother ride, ride in an odd numbered row towards the front of the train.)

As far as the possibility of a new wooden coaster goes, wooden coaster design technology has advanced so much in the last ten years. The wooden coasters that are being built now are smooth as glass (and stay that way). They are built for speed and feature some of the most intense, yet graceful, turns and elements you could imagine. If you have had the chance to ride the Ozark Wildcat at Celebration City in Branson, the new wooden coaster at Six Flags St. Louis, the wooden coasters at Hersheypark, Dollywood, Valleyfair in Minneapolis or Six Flags outside of San Francisco you know what I mean.

I'll just say this...next year is going to be one of the park's better years and the attractions that are in the works are sure to please.

Matt
Discover America's Theme Parks @ www.ThemeParksMagazine.com
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Missionite wrote: For those of you grumbling about wooden coasters, Timber Wolf fell into disrepair in the late 90s and early 00s. Over the last three years the park has put in a lot of time and money re-tracking the ride and giving it some of the TLC it has so desperately needed. You cannot compare a ride on Timber Wolf today with a ride that you may have taken four years go. If you haven't ridden it since its refurb, you should. (TIP: If you're looking for a smoother ride, ride in an odd numbered row towards the front of the train.)Matt
I rode it a couple of weeks ago and was rather surprised by the lack of jarring I had grown accustomed to on the coaster.  Now I know why.  All the lines at WOF were short the day I was there, the Timber Wolf's line was ridiculously short, our party was about the only people on the train.  I guess the word is not out that the ride has been overhauled.  The Thunderhawk was closed that day so that probably discouraged people away from that corner of the park. 
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I was just about to mention that modern day wood coasters are NOTHING like the good ol' ones of our past.  Were talking about wood coasters that challenge steel coasters in EVERY aspect...minus hanging coasters...Imagine the possiblities here in KC...imagine the first LIM (Magnetic...think...0 to 80 in the blink of an eye) launched wood coaster being built here in town.  Not to even mention that wood coasters now employ loops and all the features that used to be steel coaster specific.  I'm excited....but knowing that Cedar Fair runs the show..I'm a little dissapointed.  We're destined to get nothing better than a cookie cutter (Though unique) coaster design that has been used in various other parks under their umbrella.  WOF is simply a money-maker.  It is, afterall, a massive multi-park (and publicly traded) company that owns Worlds of Fun.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Maybe I am dreaming this up but wasn't the TW intentionally designed to be particularly thrashing?  I seem to remember that being part of the spin when it was launched. 
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

Looks a little weak to me, but maybe my expectations are too high?

Cedar Fair didn't take a risk at all with this standard cookie-cutter.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KansasCityChiefs wrote: Looks a little weak to me, but maybe my expectations are too high?

Sounds good to me.  While the 85' may not be much, going through dense forest growth will make it appear to be going pretty fast even though top speed will only be 51 mph.  How fast is the timberwolf?

I thought it was about time WOF started to utilize the wooded area east of the park. 
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

KansasCityChiefs wrote: Cedar Fair didn't take a risk at all with this standard cookie-cutter.
Standard cookie-cutter? Apparently you don't get out much.

For those of you that want to see the video and view the stats, they can be found at http://prowler.worldsoffun.com. In other news, the park is adding two new haunted attractions to its Halloween Haunt event this fall. In total, the park will have five haunted houses (or mazes, as they call them) and four scare zones. (http://haunt.worldsoffun.com)

Matt
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I love coasters and this looks like a great ride.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the POV video didn't really excite me....seemed overall to be a very fast coaster but not many turns...I'm sure the real thing will be much more fun.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

looks weak as hell, I wouldn't make a special trip out for that... maybe they are trying to get more people come to the park so that they can afford a "real" new coaster some time in the near future... just wishful thinking.
MissKris816
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by MissKris816 »

KansasCityChiefs wrote: Looks a little weak to me, but maybe my expectations are too high?

I was hoping that maybe your post wasn't accurate, but after I saw the video I have to admit that I completely agree.

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but it looks like the Timberwolf provides more of a thrill.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Everybody bitches about taking out the zambi and this will be much like it only better and everybody bitches about it.

I love the 100mph 300' drop coasters as much as anybody, but this should be a great ride if done right.

I would bet it will become a top three ride at the park.

On another note.  Why has KC turned its back on WOF?  I visit parks around the nation and KC is lucky to have WOF, especially since MO has two other large theme parks.

WOF is a very decent park.  It's not Cedar Point, but it's better than what most large towns have and probably one of the better parks for a city of this size. 

But for some reason, KC is done with WOF. We can't even draw a million peope out there any more.  Nobody ever has anything good to say about the park.

I'll give them another 10 years and the park will be gone unless this city has a change of heart or we get our regional tourism market back. I hope WOF and Schlitterbaun team up, it would be the best thing they can do.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I agree with you Grid.

I too am tired of it getting snubbed.  It's a fine park, I like the way that it's "natural" in areas and overgrown.  I like the rides, it's a nostalgic park and not sterile like some newer parks.  In fact, I think I might just get a season pass next year, I don't feel like I visit it enough, and I should.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I think we've been spoiled by having a really nice attraction for so long, which just hasn't kept up. It hasn't necessarily devolved into something less than what it was (even with the removal of several popular rides) so much as other parks around the country have had continuous investment and improvement at a level we haven't seen here.

Still, it's a great park and my wife makes me visit every year at least once so she can ride the Mamba. But for that, I admit I might be inclined to just skip it. I don't find the park compelling anymore, and my favorite rides are distant memories. Although, one has to admit, the Mamba is badass! But it's not worth $40 to ride it.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

GRID wrote: On another note.  Why has KC turned its back on WOF?
When customers don't come out any more, why are you implying it is their fault? Perhaps they do not feel there is a compelling reason to come out. Either WOF needs to have better attractions, or market itself better. Kansas City is under no obligation to support or not support WOF. It is a business that needs to work hard to maintain its business.

One thing I have noticed is that they seem to market themselves much less than before. I used to see ads all the time and they would give you discounts on Coke cans and such. I've seen one ad for them all summer and it was a really awful boring ad and I could barely even tell it was for WOF. I think they need to energize their marketing campaign.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

KCMax wrote: One thing I have noticed is that they seem to market themselves much less than before. I used to see ads all the time and they would give you discounts on Coke cans and such. I've seen one ad for them all summer and it was a really awful boring ad and I could barely even tell it was for WOF. I think they need to energize their marketing campaign.
I remember last year (and year before?) they did the whole "Is summer half over, or is there...half left" marketing on radio and elsewhere.  They usually push Halloweekends decently, but I do miss seeing discounts on pop cans.
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

PumpkinStalker wrote:I do miss seeing discounts on pop cans.
There are discounts on Pepsi product cans all of the time.

Matt
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote:
On another note.  Why has KC turned its back on WOF? 
WTF?  Do we do anything right?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc