New Coaster coming to WOF

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
kurtiebird
Strip mall
Strip mall

New Coaster coming to WOF

Post by kurtiebird »

Just saw a link to this on the Worlds of Fun message board:

project details on kivanet

So far there are 3 open permits on this project. Talk on the WOF board is that this coaster will open next year.

:cheers:
BBTSB
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Re: New Coaster coming to WOF

Post by KCN »

So this is supposedly a tall inverted coaster similar to Raptor at Cedar Point?
kurtiebird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kurtiebird »

I think inverted is just speculation at this point, but it would be really cool. Here's a link to the Raptor on Roller Coaster Database:

Raptor Info
BBTSB
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

Well, it's been pretty much narrowed down to two options...an inverted or a floorless coaster. Dorney Park (one of WOF's sister parks) opened a floorless coaster this year and Knott's Berry Farm (also a sister park) opened an inverted coaster last December.

Personally, inverteds are more fun in my opinion as they actually add a different dimension to the mix (nothing below your feet). Floorless coasters have the track below your feet minus the floor. Its just a gimmick if you ask me and really has no effect on the ride experience unless you're in the front row.

Hydra: The Revenge (floorless coaster) at Dorney Park:
http://www.rcdb.com/ig2528.htm

Silver Bullet (inverted coaster) at Knott's:
http://www.rcdb.com/ig2536.htm

Oh, and the name is pretty much confirmed for our new coaster. It will be called "The Patriot" and permits point to the ride being at the front of the park behind or in the place of what is now Beat Street (behind RipCord).

Matt
Discover America's Theme Parks @ www.ThemeParksMagazine.com
Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

Wow, I wasn't expecting a new coaster.  Good News!  Inverted sounds pretty cool, I've never actually been on one.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Big Red Storm wrote: Wow, I wasn't expecting a new coaster.  Good News!  Inverted sounds pretty cool, I've never actually been on one.

I wouldnt get too excited.  Were likely going to get a generic copy of something else, seeing how ceder fair owns ceder point and worlds of fun, along with dozens of other parks.  Ceder Point is their "real" amusement park....WOF is a cash cow.  Either way, a new coaster will be nice, though it makes you wonder what they will be demolishing this coming year.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

the patriot?  :?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Missionite wrote: Oh, and the name is pretty much confirmed for our new coaster. It will be called "The Patriot" and permits point to the ride being at the front of the park behind or in the place of what is now Beat Street (behind RipCord).

I thought Rip Cord was more centered in the park.  I just read the permits, and how did you come up with that idea?  From what I saw they were just the opening permits of intent to build, they didnt show a specific part of the park, just the parks overall address.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Missionite wrote: Personally, inverteds are more fun in my opinion as they actually add a different dimension to the mix (nothing below your feet). Floorless coasters have the track below your feet minus the floor. Its just a gimmick if you ask me and really has no effect on the ride experience unless you're in the front row.
So Batman is an example of a floorless coaster, right?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KC0KEK wrote: So Batman is an example of a floorless coaster, right?
No, ill explain...

Regular inverted is with you dangling in a chair with your head closer to the track.  The track is above you, Like batman.  Floorless are much less common right now.  The seating is similar, as in the arrangement and amount of people, but you are dangling in a seat and strapped in a harness...with the track below you and no floor...I know ...this is hard to explain.  Its like the hook shape you draw when playing the old spell this _ _ _ _    _ _  game known as hangman.  Now, the track is below you, and you are dangling from a seat and harness that is attached close to the "head" area, by a steel pole kinda thing which runs down the back of the chair and connects to the track "Behind" you, so that you dont see it.  Just think as if you are playing hangman....its roughly like that.  I hope this makes some sense to you.  Theres the "Incredible hulk" ride at universal in flordia.  Sorry I dont have the link, but If I remember right, then it is a floorless ride.
THINK (ONE) KC.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Big Red Storm wrote: Wow, I wasn't expecting a new coaster.  Good News!  Inverted sounds pretty cool, I've never actually been on one.

You really arent missing out on much.  I found that the only good seat on these kinds of coasters are the front seats, and it takes forever to get through the lines because of this.  I am unimpressed with all of the ones I have been on.  The seats in front of you always block the view, and really really take the fun out of it.  I like sit down coasters much better because virtually every seat is a good one.
THINK (ONE) KC.
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

Well, first off all...the permits mention "Beat Street," which is the area behind RipCord. The Rockin' Reeler and Skyliner are on Beat Street. The area has pretty much fallen apart over the last few years and there aren't too many people that visit that part of the park. So, it's due for a facelift. If anything is removed though, it will be either Skyliner or Rockin' Reeler...but then again, they might also keep them or relocate them.

Incredible Hulk is not a floorless coaster. It's just a regular old sit-down looping coaster (with a launch). Check out the link I provided above for Hydra for an example of a floorless coaster. Or, check out this link: http://www.rcdb.com/ig502.htm

Matt
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

im2kull wrote:
I wouldnt get too excited.  Were likely going to get a generic copy of something else, seeing how ceder fair owns ceder point and worlds of fun, along with dozens of other parks.  Ceder Point is their "real" amusement park....WOF is a cash cow.  Either way, a new coaster will be nice, though it makes you wonder what they will be demolishing this coming year.
I hate to be picky, but I will be anyway. Cedar Fair operates seven amusement parks...not dozens. Also, when Cedar Fair adds a large coaster it usually isn't a copy of another. The inverted coaster they just added at Knott's isn't a copy and the floorless at Dorney Park has a friggen loop as soon as you leave the station even before you get tot he lift hill. So, I doubt Patriot will be a "clone." Why so negative?

Matt
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

chrizow wrote: the patriot? :?
It's supposedly going in the Americana section, so the name is fitting on this one.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

give me something with a launch with those magnets or whatever....like that one dragster thing at Cedar Fair (i think that's where it's at)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, the acceleration on those things is intense! Can't beat it.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Missionite wrote: Incredible Hulk is not a floorless coaster. It's just a regular old sit-down looping coaster (with a launch). Check out the link I provided above for Hydra for an example of a floorless coaster. Or, check out this link: http://www.rcdb.com/ig502.htm

Matt
Yeah,
you're right, I rode it and I thought I remembered it being a floorless, but I went and looked at some pics, and It isnt.  I couldnt find a link to a good pic of a floorless, so I mentioned the hulk thinking it was one, also I gave a really detailed description to explain the design on floorless coasters in another one of my posts on here.
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Hulk is one of my favorite coasters...that launch into a halfloop was awesome.  An inverted version of the Hulk would be badass.  Hint hint WOF.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Missionite wrote: I hate to be picky, but I will be anyway. Cedar Fair operates seven amusement parks...not dozens. Also, when Cedar Fair adds a large coaster it usually isn't a copy of another. The inverted coaster they just added at Knott's isn't a copy and the floorless at Dorney Park has a friggen loop as soon as you leave the station even before you get tot he lift hill. So, I doubt Patriot will be a "clone." Why so negative?

Matt
Why so upbeat.  What has Cedar Fair really done for WOF.  Sure they build new rides, but they also rip out some of the best things we have ever had.  Things like the zambezi, The Plunge, and the Pandemonium.  All replaced for crappy run-of-the-mill rides....and bearstein bear country..and camp snoopy....woo hoo.  By the way, I never once said the inverted at Knott's is a copy of the floorless at Dorney park...so please dont quote me on things that someone else said.  Take the time to make two quotes if you have to.  

And not to be picky, but Cedar Fair DID place a massive roller coaster copy right here in WOF.  You dont really think the MAMBA was an original design?  The Magnum XL-200 is an exact replica of it, exactly the same except for the loading area.  The Magnum was built in Cedar Point, owned by Cedar Fair, and the Mamba is in World's of Fun, owned by Cedar Fair.  My point is that copys of rides do indeed happen.  Simply put, the Magnum XL-200 = Mamba.  
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Magnum and Mamba are not the same thing.  Mamba has a helix for one, whereas Magnum is a pretzel.  Magnum has tunnels, Mamba does not.  Mamba reaches top speeds on 2 drops, Magnum does not.  Mamba is smooth, Magnum is not.  They were not even designed by the same companies.  If you want a good reason to be mad at cookie cutter rides, direct your anger at Boomerang, not Mamba.

As for ripping rides out....the Zambezi Zinger and Orient Express were inoperable in their final conditions.  They had to go.